Around the NFL III - The NFLiest Yet

y2lamanaki

Should the Seahawks move to the CFL?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Seahawks move to the CFL?

• Yes, be gone with them already.
    • No, I want see the Seahawks get beat down in the NFC West for years to come.
    • No, because then poor RudyZ might be stuck with them.
    • No, because I am a proud toothless member of the 12th Man which you all know means I became a fan in 2012. It's also the last year I took a shower, because my hygiene is lacking.

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

Cap gurus... How would it work with Stafford if we trade for him? Base is 9.5 mill, he has a signing and roster bonus of 10 mill each so 20 mill total. Workout bonus of 500k.

Could we either cut that bonuses in half in a trade? void them? do what we did with Trent and give him a little bit up front?

27 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Cap gurus... How would it work with Stafford if we trade for him? Base is 9.5 mill, he has a signing and roster bonus of 10 mill each so 20 mill total. Workout bonus of 500k.

Could we either cut that bonuses in half in a trade? void them? do what we did with Trent and give him a little bit up front?

He's cheaper for us than Jimmy is, so it's not a problem. 

• Like 1

The biggest problem with Stafford is the trade cost. Everyone is in on him that needs a QB, make no mistake about that...his trade price likely gets higher than we can afford. I wouldn't give up a top ten pick for him this year, and I think that there are teams that could easily offer a back half of the first round type selection with a conditional pick the following year. If you're Indy, why aren't you just offering your first round pick this year for Stafford? That right there is stronger than us offering next years first (again, no way we are giving up a top 12, possibly top 10 pick). If Washington wins their division, their pick is immediately #19 at best. I'm all in on trading that pick to Detroit for Stafford in that situation. 

I would not count on Stafford being a 49er for that reason alone; trade compensation does not work in our favor. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

The biggest problem with Stafford is the trade cost. Everyone is in on him that needs a QB, make no mistake about that...his trade price likely gets higher than we can afford. I wouldn't give up a top ten pick for him this year, and I think that there are teams that could easily offer a back half of the first round type selection with a conditional pick the following year. If you're Indy, why aren't you just offering your first round pick this year for Stafford? That right there is stronger than us offering next years first (again, no way we are giving up a top 12, possibly top 10 pick). If Washington wins their division, their pick is immediately #19 at best. I'm all in on trading that pick to Detroit for Stafford in that situation. 

I would not count on Stafford being a 49er for that reason alone; trade compensation does not work in our favor. 

But let's assume Saleh does get the job in Det and decides to rebuild. That would work in our favor in a way right?

But yeah I think the highest I'd give for Stafford is a 2nd round pick....

doing a quick run down on Veteran QBs getting traded:

2003- Bill traded a first round pick to NE for Bledose which was pick 14 that year

2008- Favre to NYJ for a conditional 4th.

2011: Carson Palmer to Oak for a first and second.

2013- Carson Palmer to Zona for a 6th round pick and a conditional pick

So the results vary but as Forge stated, the price is usually high.

12 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

But let's assume Saleh does get the job in Det and decides to rebuild. That would work in our favor in a way right?

No more than it would anyone else who was looking for a QB, I'd think. They aren't going to trade him to us at a discount or anything. 

If I were Detroit, would I trade him? Yes, I would. I think he's getting older and his health has been a bit problematic; he missed half of last year and even though he's played every game this year (up until this upcoming week when he's expected to be out) he has actually suffered multiple injuries. His contract is affordable for any team taking him on, and you may as well dump that dead money now in your first year as a new regime. 

It is interesting to note though that new GMs, when they don't have the first overall pick, don't really have a long history of taking quarterbacks. Robert Mays actually did a podcast and talked about this last week I think. I found it pretty interesting. Atlanta did with Matt Ryan (#3 overall, though he could have and probably shoudl have been the #1 overall that year) but think about how long ago that was. But it's pretty interesting. This regime didn't do it and needed a QB their first year. Brandon Beane in Buffalo didn't do it either, waiting until 2018 to take Josh Allen (they bypassed Watson / Mahomes with Tyrod Taylor on the roster and actually were the team that the Chiefs traded with to get Mahomes). Dave G famously bypassed Darnold / Allen / Rosen for Saquon in his first draft despite not having a franchise QB, Mayock elected to continue to run with Carr who had struggled mightily in the two years leading up to his hire.  Now obviously a lot of GMs inherit their guys, so the pool is pretty limited, but its an interesting thing. 

• Like 1