Around the NFL III - The NFLiest Yet

y2lamanaki

Should the Seahawks move to the CFL?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Seahawks move to the CFL?

• Yes, be gone with them already.
    • No, I want see the Seahawks get beat down in the NFC West for years to come.
    • No, because then poor RudyZ might be stuck with them.
    • No, because I am a proud toothless member of the 12th Man which you all know means I became a fan in 2012. It's also the last year I took a shower, because my hygiene is lacking.

29 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Mayhew is going to WFT. He’s going to be part of their front office, but not their GM. I don’t know if we will receive a 3rd pick for him leaving, or? 

Depends on what role they give him and how to interpret the rules. For him to leave us we either had to let him leave or he will get a promotion. If he is a primary football executive we get a third in 2023 if not we won't.

1 hour ago, John232 said:

It really comes down to the opportunity cost on his contract. If keeping him results in us losing out on extending someone else, on top of spending a first on a QB, then I think it becomes really hard to justify. But they could restructure him, keep him on to start for a year, then trade, regardless of rehabbed value. 

That said, I generally lean towards starting rookies right away, but in the case of someone like Lance, I really wouldn't have a problem with it. Fields, even to some extent would fall under that for me..but still prefer starting our first round picks. I just think it's better for a QB's development. However, I do think there are some QB's that are much better suited for sitting and developing either because their incredibly raw or their raw with a bad team. I think Wilson and Fields are starts, Lance i could live with sitting. 

I totally understand this point of view. I'm in no way advocating putting the future of this team on Jimmy. If we bring back Jimmy I want a QB in R1 (only one of the top 4 guys) to develop and take over in 2022. I think we can still manage to bring back Trent Williams and extend All-Pro Fred with Jimmy on the books. The fact that Trent Williams is a FA that can't be tagged may make him hard to sign though, regardless if Jimmy is around or not. We need to get him done before FA or I think he's gone. 

6 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I totally understand this point of view. I'm in no way advocating putting the future of this team on Jimmy. If we bring back Jimmy I want a QB in R1 (only one of the top 4 guys) to develop and take over in 2022. I think we can still manage to bring back Trent Williams and extend All-Pro Fred with Jimmy on the books. The fact that Trent Williams is a FA that can't be tagged may make him hard to sign though, regardless if Jimmy is around or not. We need to get him done before FA or I think he's gone. 

I don't see that happening. Williams will 100% test the market and if he doesn't he needs to fire his representation with the quickness. That's just not smart business. That's why he restructured his deal so he couldn't be tagged. This is his last payday. He's gonna to get as much bang for his buck as possible and I don't blame him at all. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I don't see that happening. Williams will 100% test the market and if he doesn't he needs to fire his representation with the quickness. That's just not smart business. That's why he restructured his deal so he couldn't be tagged. This is his last payday. He's gonna to get as much bang for his buck as possible and I don't blame him at all. 

I definitely don't blame him either. One other thing to keep in mind is he made it very clear that he wants to play for a contender, not a team that is rebuilding. How do you think he'd see us bailing on Jimmy for a rookie QB or some of the other options people have thrown around as potential replacements (outside of Watson, Stafford, & Ryan)?  

5 hours ago, GW21 said:

I definitely don't blame him either. One other thing to keep in mind is he made it very clear that he wants to play for a contender, not a team that is rebuilding. How do you think he'd see us bailing on Jimmy for a rookie QB or some of the other options people have thrown around as potential replacements (outside of Watson, Stafford, & Ryan)?  

I honestly think its all about money. If we come relatively close to the best offer, I could see him returning. But athletes say I want to win all the time and then go running to the highest bidder. He wants to be compensated handsomely for his talents....that's what I think it boils down to.

As far as the QB, ultimately I think he will trust Kyle. Whether that's with a rookie or Jimmy. He made the playoffs with a rookie QB w/Kyle as the OC so I don't think that would necessarily be a determent for us. But I don't think Kyle will just hand the position over to a rookie QB, no matter where he's drafted or how talented. I think he'll bring in a vet to at least give some semblance of a competition and make the QB earn the right to start. 

Edited by 757-NINER

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Really?! smh

To be fair, Baalke tenure didn't start out bad at all. I mean he did help build a SB roster. His tenure early on is comparable to Lynch's currently. It just went downhill fast after our SB run because of his ego in regards to personnel decisions and roster building. 

Which brings me to a discussion I was having with a fellow Niner fan last week. Which defensive unit would you take completely healthy...2012 or 2019??

25 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

To be fair, Baalke tenure didn't start out bad at all. I mean he did help build a SB roster. His tenure early on is comparable to Lynch's currently. It just went downhill fast after our SB run because of his ego in regards to personnel decisions and roster building. 

Which brings me to a discussion I was having with a fellow Niner fan last week. Which defensive unit would you take completely healthy...2012 or 2019??

I think Baalke's main problem was he did what he wanted to do without much input from the coaching staff on what type of players they actually wanted and could use. With the Lynch/Shanahan pairing its way more coach centric and if you give coaches guys they want to work with it just creates a better environment and makes their job easier. With Baalke you had the famous second round is for the coach pick while now every pick there is a say from both parties i feel. 

I think 2012 looked more dominant because Fangio runs a more aggressive scheme and we had more guys that could create turnovers both in INTs and even more in Fumbles where the 2019 version was way more based on great coverage and didn't feel as intimidating. In terms of talent i think 2012 wins slightly but its a close call.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

2019 for me. They were just lights out in coverage when everyone was healthy. Even Mahomes had one of his worst games against that defense.

2012, the defense just completely fell apart in the playoffs. And yes both Smith brothers were hurt but you just can't ignore how badly they got lit up. Ryan put up over 400 yards and then we couldn't stop Flacco at all. It isn't all that close to me.

Better question is 2019 vs 2011. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

If someone else makes Baalke's day 2 picks, it could be okay 

I think overall his track record in terms of players isn't terrible both in the draft and FA. the draft in 2012 was terrible and 2013 wasn't all that good. In general the whole 2014 season leaves all of us with a really bad taste in our mouths but i feel Harbaugh had as much to do with that as Baalke has if not more. Baalke is a strange guy but the overall nature of Jim was really overbearing for most guys and it just burned them out. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

2019 for me. They were just lights out in coverage when everyone was healthy. Even Mahomes had one of his worst games against that defense.

2012, the defense just completely fell apart in the playoffs. And yes both Smith brothers were hurt but you just can't ignore how badly they got lit up. Ryan put up over 400 yards and then we couldn't stop Flacco at all. It isn't all that close to me.

Better question is 2019 vs 2011. 

The 2019 defense also had a rough spell when Ford, Alexander and Tartt where out. If you judge purely by the postseason 2019 clearly wins sure. But comparing a defense having all its key pieces healthy to one that misses two of its top 5 players isn't really fair and even in 2019 i still clearly remember games like the Saints one where we couldn't slow Brees down one bit. Or the Steelers game where Verrett got picked apart.