Around the NFL III - The NFLiest Yet

y2lamanaki

Should the Seahawks move to the CFL?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Seahawks move to the CFL?

• Yes, be gone with them already.
    • No, I want see the Seahawks get beat down in the NFC West for years to come.
    • No, because then poor RudyZ might be stuck with them.
    • No, because I am a proud toothless member of the 12th Man which you all know means I became a fan in 2012. It's also the last year I took a shower, because my hygiene is lacking.

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

Their cap is in arguably the worst shape I've seen from a team in a decade. Older vets who seriously save nothing because of all the ghost years that Howie added on. That's why I've been such a big proponent of them just burning it down in 2021 as much as possible to hard reset. 

I'm very curious to see how the Eagles, Rams, and Saints handle their cap in the next two months. It could really dictate the power structure of the NFC.

8 of the 12 teams with a negative cap are in the NFC, including the Rams, Saints, and Packers. All three of those teams are at least $20 mil over the cap. 

I know that most of the teams in the negative can maneuver around it and make it work to some degree, but I'm also betting that these three teams will be losing some good-to-great talent in the process. And, I doubt any of these three teams will be major players in FA. 

Actually, the cap situation across the entire NFC is generally bad. According to Spotrac, the current projection of the league-average cap number is $14 mil. There are 7 NFC teams above that number. There are 9 NFC teams with less than $9mil of cap space available and only 1 of those 9 teams is under the cap (Giants at $8mil).

I know these numbers will change with restructures and releases, but it's just eye-opening to me how bad the cap situation is across the NFC in general because of COVID.

It's going to be a wild off-season. 

17 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'm very curious to see how the Eagles, Rams, and Saints handle their cap in the next two months. It could really dictate the power structure of the NFC.

8 of the 12 teams with a negative cap are in the NFC, including the Rams, Saints, and Packers. All three of those teams are at least $20 mil over the cap. 

I know that most of the teams in the negative can maneuver around it and make it work to some degree, but I'm also betting that these three teams will be losing some good-to-great talent in the process. And, I doubt any of these three teams will be major players in FA. 

Actually, the cap situation across the entire NFC is generally bad. According to Spotrac, the current projection of the league-average cap number is $14 mil. There are 7 NFC teams above that number. There are 9 NFC teams with less than $9mil of cap space available and only 1 of those 9 teams is under the cap (Giants at $8mil).

I know these numbers will change with restructures and releases, but it's just eye-opening to me how bad the cap situation is across the NFC in general because of COVID.

Honestly when you dive into the Saints situation it isn't that bad. In terms of the actual contracts they have way more flexibility than teams like the Eagles and Falcons who both are over the cap and don't have guys where an extension or cut saves a ton of money.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Rams and Saints are pretty easy, to be honest and the Saints made it even easier by restructuring Brees. The eagles are the really bad one. They are going to spill stuff over into 2022 which really sucks....and this is assuming that Kelce doesn't retire. It's just worse if he does. 

2 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Honestly when you dive into the Saints situation it isn't that bad. In terms of the actual contracts they have way more flexibility than teams like the Eagles and Falcons who both are over the cap and don't have guys where an extension or cut saves a ton of money.

This is true. The Rams and the Eagles have bad contracts and not a lot of wiggle room.

Also, I should note that the figures I provided in my post about the current cap situation in the NFC was from Spotrac who has their current cap figures built off of a $185 mil cap, which we now know the actual cap will be closer to $181 mil. Over The Cap has there's set at $180.5 mil, which makes my post even more grim.

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Not only in the NFC, I just think of how much talent will be sitting on the sidelines potentially next season. the Cap will be lower = cap casualties for some talented prospects, which should equal a bunch of talented players taking a pay cut to be on a roster next season. There just isnt enough money to go around and I would expect players taking a pay cut, at least this next year, and then being compensated the follow year(s).

But I expect FA to be littered with some very talented players this year, more than any year past

1 minute ago, P_locniners said:

Not only in the NFC, I just think of how much talent will be sitting on the sidelines potentially next season. the Cap will be lower = cap casualties for some talented prospects, which should equal a bunch of talented players taking a pay cut to be on a roster next season. There just isnt enough money to go around and I would expect players taking a pay cut, at least this next year, and then being compensated the follow year(s).

But I expect FA to be littered with some very talented players this year, more than any year past

Oh for sure. It's going to be a lot like baseball free agency where you have players holding out for a big contract all the way into spring training, then realizing they aren't going to get it and sign for much less than they would get with a team they usually don't want to play for.

From the outside looking in, it seems like it would be in players' best interest to lower their asking price to go where they want to go and get their money now, rather than holding out on the hope of a big contract later into FA.

But, I'm sure there will be some surprisingly huge names still available into the summer months waiting for the big contract. 

• Like 1