Around the NFL III - The NFLiest Yet

Should the Seahawks move to the CFL?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Seahawks move to the CFL?

• Yes, be gone with them already.
    • No, I want see the Seahawks get beat down in the NFC West for years to come.
    • No, because then poor RudyZ might be stuck with them.
    • No, because I am a proud toothless member of the 12th Man which you all know means I became a fan in 2012. It's also the last year I took a shower, because my hygiene is lacking.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I just don't get why the Texans wouldn't take the Jets offer. Now, if Watson doesn't want to go there then obviously they can't do anything about it. But I have a hard time seeing him turn down NY and Saleh. Sure the talent level wouldn't be as good as Denver in year one, but they can turn that around quickly. 

It's history as a functional franchise isn't great under this ownership group though. 

Its hard to say since the info is so scarce. I mean, as unlikely as it is, I suppose that there has to be a world where the Jets and Dolphins haven't even tried to reach out to the Texans to procure a trade. I don't know why they would take that stance, but maybe they are. 

4 hours ago, Dutch said:

If he really wants out, he should drop his no trade clause. Sucks for him to lose that leverage, but it would allow the Texans to get their best haul. Or find something else he is really passionate about for the year and force their hand next year after sitting it out. I know Le'Veon Bell had more wear on his body and it's a different situation, but I wonder if his struggles after sitting will frighten, or caution teams.

The no trade clause assures he doesn't end up in the same situation with just a different logo on his helmet. The point of him asking out of Houston is to get out from under a dysfunctional organization. That's why I don't believe the reports that he's willing to go to the Jets. They're not that far removed from being as bad as the Texans. Miami has a willing owner and a team that looks to be on the verge. He  has to go to an organization with a viable and somewhat stable culture and FO. If he does all this and ends up in Detroit, he'll look like a fool....and rightfully so.

I'm with @Forge in that I think he'll have to sit out the year and call Houston's bluff. For them to flat out say publicly they have no plans on trading him and aren't fielding calls means they're definitely going to make this difficult for him. I can see them playing hardball and making this process long & drawn out. If they were smart about this they could have really had a great haul this draft. They should have called Jax the moment Watson said he wanted out to see if #1 overall was up for grabs. But being stubborn and resolute about this will be their downfall. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

The no trade clause assures he doesn't end up in the same situation with just a different logo on his helmet. The point of him asking out of Houston is to get out from under a dysfunctional organization. That's why I don't believe the reports that he's willing to go to the Jets. They're not that far removed from being as bad as the Texans. Miami has a willing owner and a team that looks to be on the verge. He  has to go to an organization with a viable and somewhat stable culture and FO. If he does all this and ends up in Detroit, he'll look like a fool....and rightfully so.

The problem with that is that the Texans don't care about where he ends up and only care about the package they get from him. They have him under contract for years so he can play for another team or sit out and make nothing. If he wants out as bad as he is letting out he will waive that clause as soon as a deal is agreed.

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I'm with @Forge in that I think he'll have to sit out the year and call Houston's bluff. For them to flat out say publicly they have no plans on trading him and aren't fielding calls means they're definitely going to make this difficult for him. I can see them playing hardball and making this process long & drawn out. If they were smart about this they could have really had a great haul this draft. They should have called Jax the moment Watson said he wanted out to see if #1 overall was up for grabs. But being stubborn and resolute about this will be their downfall. 

But what exactly do the Texans lose from having him sit out. Does he somehow get worth way less next year? Besides that telling the media you are not taking calls and actually ignoring calls coming in are two different situations. If the Jaguars wanted him more than Lawrence they would have already called them and same goes for other teams. Usually when it gets out a team is willing to work with the player to trade him the value drops because they lose leverage. 

Offcourse Watson had a lot of reasons that are viable for wanting to leave but there is no way they are trading him to the team he wants to go to most unless that team is also the one offering the most. If he want to play/get paid he has to either show up with the Texans or accept the trade they decide to take.

5 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

But what exactly do the Texans lose from having him sit out.

That's actually the reason I think he sits out. If the trade happens this year before the draft, watson has to be the one who blinks. The Texans can hold him and get just as much value next year. 

2 hours ago, Justone2 said:

The problem with that is that the Texans don't care about where he ends up and only care about the package they get from him. They have him under contract for years so he can play for another team or sit out and make nothing. If he wants out as bad as he is letting out he will waive that clause as soon as a deal is agreed.

But what exactly do the Texans lose from having him sit out. Does he somehow get worth way less next year? Besides that telling the media you are not taking calls and actually ignoring calls coming in are two different situations. If the Jaguars wanted him more than Lawrence they would have already called them and same goes for other teams. Usually when it gets out a team is willing to work with the player to trade him the value drops because they lose leverage. 

Offcourse Watson had a lot of reasons that are viable for wanting to leave but there is no way they are trading him to the team he wants to go to most unless that team is also the one offering the most. If he want to play/get paid he has to either show up with the Texans or accept the trade they decide to take.

Of course Houston doesn't care about where he ends up...which is why you have a no trade clause in the first place. The onus is on Watson to make sure he ends up in a place that suits him. That's why I see this getting dragged out. He's not going to waive it...that puts the ball in their court. He'll still be desperately sought after this time next year. He loses nothing but money by sitting out. His value will be the same regardless.

And why would Jax call Houston?? It's on the Caserio and the Houston FO to secure another franchise QB if Watson is on his way out of town. Jax is about to draft their QBOTF at a fraction of the going rate. They don't have any incentive to move off #1 overall. So if I'm Caserio, I'm seriously trying to replace Watson with Lawrence and seeing if Jax is interested in his services. It couldn't hurt. And I think Jax would consider it. For as good as everyone thinks Sunshine will be, its still not sure thing. We all know how good Watson is already so it would make sense on Jax's end to consider it. Especially if all they had to give up is #1 overall while everyone else is giving up three 1's, two 2's and their first-born son. 

5 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Of course Houston doesn't care about where he ends up...which is why you have a no trade clause in the first place. The onus is on Watson to make sure he ends up in a place that suits him. That's why I see this getting dragged out. He's not going to waive it...that puts the ball in their court. He'll still be desperately sought after this time next year. He loses nothing but money by sitting out. His value will be the same regardless.

And why would Jax call Houston?? It's on the Caserio and the Houston FO to secure another franchise QB if Watson is on his way out of town. Jax is about to draft their QBOTF at a fraction of the going rate. They don't have any incentive to move off #1 overall. So if I'm Caserio, I'm seriously trying to replace Watson with Lawrence and seeing if Jax is interested in his services. It couldn't hurt. And I think Jax would consider it. For as good as everyone thinks Sunshine will be, its still not sure thing. We all know how good Watson is already so it would make sense on Jax's end to consider it. Especially if all they had to give up is #1 overall while everyone else is giving up three 1's, two 2's and their first-born son. 

For the Texans they sucked with Watson already who is considered one of the best QB's in the league. Trading him for Lawrence(sounds good on paper but no way the Texans trade Watson to a division rival) doesn't make them better and they really get in the same situation. If they don't trade him and Watson sits out there is no doubt they are even worse then they where this year and can easily end up with the first pick. Then trade Watson for a haul and you have a great start for a rebuild.

If Watson wants to be traded soon he should just give his list of teams he will waive his no trade clause for and tell them every month that goes by that he isn’t traded he will remove a team off the list until there is only one team left. I can’t imagine Houston not blinking once a month or 2 has gone by. 

2 minutes ago, Aussie9er said:

If Watson wants to be traded soon he should just give his list of teams he will waive his no trade clause for and tell them every month that goes by that he isn’t traded he will remove a team off the list until there is only one team left. I can’t imagine Houston not blinking once a month or 2 has gone by. 

If Watson wants to be traded soon he waives his no trade clause. Doing what you said makes it even easier for the Texans to just make him sit out next season. If they trade him its on their terms and he can either choose to accept that or sit the year out. His value isn't going down if he sits out a season.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Justone2 said:

For the Texans they sucked with Watson already who is considered one of the best QB's in the league. Trading him for Lawrence(sounds good on paper but no way the Texans trade Watson to a division rival) doesn't make them better and they really get in the same situation. If they don't trade him and Watson sits out there is no doubt they are even worse then they where this year and can easily end up with the first pick. Then trade Watson for a haul and you have a great start for a rebuild.

What I'm saying is if I'm the Teaxans GM and I'm on the verge of losing my franchise QB and one of the best young QBs in the league, I would want to replace said QB with as comparable of a talent as possible. I understand its a division rival but at this point is about as getting as much bang for your buck as possible. So I would call Jax and see if Watson could be dealt for #1 overall. I'm not saying Jax would do it but it couldn't hurt to ask. 

It's not about how good or bad the Texans will be overall. They're about to start a full rebuild. Its about replacing top tier talent with someone you hope or believe will be comparable to it, at the most important position on the field. There won't be another Lawrence in next year's class. That's why I said if they were smarter about this, they would look at ALL their options right now and not just be dead set on not moving him.

Edited by 757-NINER
17 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

The point of him asking out of Houston is to get out from under a dysfunctional organization. That's why I don't believe the reports that he's willing to go to the Jets.

On the other hand, he wanted the texans to interview Robert Saleh. I don't think players look at organizations from the top down. The hiring of Saleh by the Jets might be enough to convince him the organization is not at the same place they were two years ago. Joe Douglas didn't hire Adam Gase, he arrived after. So the dysfunction that came before doesn't fall on Douglas or Saleh's shoulders. Watson might very well believe the Jets are on the way up, and I don't disagree.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Damn it! 

Not the prime Watt but still pretty damn good. 

Interested in seeing what they do with Jones. Some were throwing him out as a potential surprise cut? 

There is no chance they cut Chandler Jones, unfortunately. He would be someone I would be prepared to throw a ton of cash at. They will probably extend Jones.

I was unhappy with it until I saw how much money they paid him. Holy smokes, thats a lot of money for someone with his injury history. I bet he sees all of that money too considering 23m is guaranteed and his aav is 15. Good for him. 

I think this helps them with their culture and their locker room more than anything else. They need veteran leadership. 

Personally, I view them as less of a threat next year than I did last year. KK was exposed as a bad coach last year imo. The league figured him out, kyler got nicked up, and the offense fell apart. I think hopkins was hurt too, but it was more than injuries to me. I think everyone has adjusted to KK but he hasnt adjusted back. So perhaps he will figure things out next year, but I am not going to automatically assume that he does just given his track record and his lack of experience at the pro level. 

Kyler is a baller obviously, but if I was rooting for the cardinals I would have hated how he handled himself late in the season. The stunt he pulled in week 17 was eye opening. He seems to be a pretty selfish player. Its a fine line between swagger and arrogant and I think he has crossed into the arrogant portion of the spectrum. 

Overall though, the only thing this makes me hope is that we attack the OL this year. Watt moves around a bit, and gives them the interior pressure they didnt have before. Our interior OL has been an issue for 2 years now. Fixing the OL is priority #1 to me this offseason unless we decide to go get our franchise QB at the top of the draft, and even then... 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, N4L said:

There is no chance they cut Chandler Jones, unfortunately. He would be someone I would be prepared to throw a ton of cash at. They will probably extend Jones.

I was unhappy with it until I saw how much money they paid him. Holy smokes, thats a lot of money for someone with his injury history. I bet he sees all of that money too considering 23m is guaranteed and his aav is 15. Good for him. 

I think this helps them with their culture and their locker room more than anything else. They need veteran leadership. 

Personally, I view them as less of a threat next year than I did last year. KK was exposed as a bad coach last year imo. The league figured him out, kyler got nicked up, and the offense fell apart. I think hopkins was hurt too, but it was more than injuries to me. I think everyone has adjusted to KK but he hasnt adjusted back. So perhaps he will figure things out next year, but I am not going to automatically assume that he does just given his track record and his lack of experience at the pro level. 

Kyler is a baller obviously, but if I was rooting for the cardinals I would have hated how he handled himself late in the season. The stunt he pulled in week 17 was eye opening. He seems to be a pretty selfish player. Its a fine line between swagger and arrogant and I think he has crossed into the arrogant portion of the spectrum. 

Overall though, the only thing this makes me hope is that we attack the OL this year. Watt moves around a bit, and gives them the interior pressure they didnt have before. Our interior OL has been an issue for 2 years now. Fixing the OL is priority #1 to me this offseason unless we decide to go get our franchise QB at the top of the draft, and even then... 

Yup, Watt at half that price is intriguing. 23 million? Makes me a little ill....

I guess I don't remember exactly what Kyler did in week 17.....

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I guess I don't remember exactly what Kyler did in week 17.....

Basically, he was injured on the final play against us week 16. There was no way he should have played week 17. He took all of the practice reps even though he should not have been playing, starts the game, on the first series he decides that he cant play, but continues to hang around the sideline, then when the game is on the line he inserts himself even though it was blatantly obvious that he cant play. All of this was a detriment to his team and to their playoff chances. 

Now some people may have said "he tried to play injured, thats a guy giving himself up for his team by trying to gut it out" which isnt necessarily wrong, but when you do that to the detriment of your team because you think you are the only one who can lead them to a win, its selfish. Thats why I said he was arrogant and cocky rather than just confident with swagger. Kyler absolutely has an arrogance about him and this scenario just brought it to the forefront in my eyes

I would love to hear @HoboRocket's take on this though

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, N4L said:

Basically, he was injured on the final play against us week 16. There was no way he should have played week 17. He took all of the practice reps even though he should not have been playing, starts the game, on the first series he decides that he cant play, but continues to hang around the sideline, then when the game is on the line he inserts himself even though it was blatantly obvious that he cant play. All of this was a detriment to his team and to their playoff chances. 

Now some people may have said "he tried to play injured, thats a guy giving himself up for his team by trying to gut it out" which isnt necessarily wrong, but when you do that to the detriment of your team because you think you are the only one who can lead them to a win, its selfish. Thats why I said he was arrogant and cocky rather than just confident with swagger. Kyler absolutely has an arrogance about him and this scenario just brought it to the forefront in my eyes

I would love to hear @HoboRocket's take on this though

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree. And that's been Kyler's issue so far. Is he a baller? Absolutely. And he's not someone who's aggressively cocky, but he also, on some level, thinks that he's head and shoulders above everyone else. Not sure if that's subconscious or what. But yeah, so he was offering himself up, but part of that was also him being a bad teammate. He had no faith that the team could win without him. Could they? I mean, they didn't, but he also didn't help them with that. 

Overall, it appears that he has some kinks to work out as an as a leader. He needs to develop more patience. Yes, maintain that sense of urgency, but also he patient with your teammates and the play. There were a lot of instances where he'd bail on a play before it was lost last season. Did it work? Sometimes. But there were also plenty of times where it cost the team.

Trust. Trust in the team. Trust in the receivers, trust in the OL. Overall, the offensive line wasn't a disaster. But there were plenty of times where they held up in pass pro and he bailed. There were also some instances where he'd just flat out avoid throwing at open WRs and scramble. And it wasn't that he didn't see them. His eyes would be there. He just didn't trust them; he felt safer running for 7-12 yards and a 1st down than putting the game in their hands. 

Now, did they always deliver when he DID distribute the ball? No. Christian Kirk was a massive disappointment with his drops and attempts at the football. Same goes for Andy Isabella. But you still have to trust your guys. Be patient. Trust your team. 

And no, he wasn't patient at all with that Week 17 matchup.

• Like 1