Around the NFL III - The NFLiest Yet

y2lamanaki

Should the Seahawks move to the CFL?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Seahawks move to the CFL?

• Yes, be gone with them already.
    • No, I want see the Seahawks get beat down in the NFC West for years to come.
    • No, because then poor RudyZ might be stuck with them.
    • No, because I am a proud toothless member of the 12th Man which you all know means I became a fan in 2012. It's also the last year I took a shower, because my hygiene is lacking.

How much do you buy this from Shefter?

One of the many reasons why the San Francisco 49ers traded up to the third overall spot in this year's NFL draft was their belief that the New England Patriots could trade up to No. 3 and beat them to Alabama quarterback Mac Jones, league sources told ESPN. San Francisco wanted to position itself to select a quarterback for the future and believed there were multiple worthy candidates. But the 49ers also were concerned that the Patriots would leapfrog them in the draft and position themselves to select Jones before San Francisco could.

The 49ers considered the well-documented relationship between Bill Belichick and Nick Saban, and knew that New England was doing legwork on the quarterback prospects in the draft. The Niners also believed at the time that Jones was the prospect the Patriots identified as their potential quarterback of the future. This belief contributed to the Niners completing the late-March trade that sent three first-round draft picks to the Miami Dolphins to move up to the No. 3 spot, which gave them the ability to draft Jones or any other quarterback they deemed worthy in that slot. San Francisco ultimately decided Trey Lance was its preferred quarterback, and Jones wound up with New England anyway-- without the Patriots having to surrender any additional compensation.

26 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

One of the many reasons why the San Francisco 49ers traded up to the third overall spot in this year's NFL draft was their belief that the New England Patriots could trade up to No. 3 and beat them to Alabama quarterback Mac Jones, league sources told ESPN. San Francisco wanted to position itself to select a quarterback for the future and believed there were multiple worthy candidates. But the 49ers also were concerned that the Patriots would leapfrog them in the draft and position themselves to select Jones before San Francisco could.

The 49ers considered the well-documented relationship between Bill Belichick and Nick Saban, and knew that New England was doing legwork on the quarterback prospects in the draft. The Niners also believed at the time that Jones was the prospect the Patriots identified as their potential quarterback of the future. This belief contributed to the Niners completing the late-March trade that sent three first-round draft picks to the Miami Dolphins to move up to the No. 3 spot, which gave them the ability to draft Jones or any other quarterback they deemed worthy in that slot. San Francisco ultimately decided Trey Lance was its preferred quarterback, and Jones wound up with New England anyway-- without the Patriots having to surrender any additional compensation.

They definitely wanted their pick of choice from the three but I buy more that they heard the Lance to Falcons rumors and wanted to get up to #3 for that. Schefter was all in on the Jones to Niners train all along. Patriots going up that high for any player is just super unrealistic. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

They definitely wanted their pick of choice from the three but I buy more that they heard the Lance to Falcons rumors and wanted to get up to #3 for that. Schefter was all in on the Jones to Niners train all along. Patriots going up that high for any player is just super unrealistic. 

Yeah I'm with this

3 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah I'm with this

These guys won't let it go after how bad they ended up looking when Lance was the pick. When Allbright and the Falcons beat writer from The Athletic (forget his name)  reported there is buzz around Lance and Falcons and if a team wants Lance, they will need to get ahead of the Falcons… The Niners traded up less than a week later. Do I doubt for a second that Shanny liked Jones? Absolutely not, but there is no QB he gushed over more than Josh Allen after his performance against this defense on MNF. It became clear he wanted something that looked like THAT. Not only that, he personally asked Lance to go work out with John Beck before his pro day. Lance was his guy for a while. 

And then there's this: 

Lol.. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

These guys won't let it go after how bad they ended up looking when Lance was the pick. When Allbright and the Falcons beat writer from The Athletic (forget his name)  reported there is buzz around Lance and Falcons and if a team wants Lance, they will need to get ahead of the Falcons… The Niners traded up less than a week later. Do I doubt for a second that Shanny liked Jones? Absolutely not, but there is no QB he gushed over more than Josh Allen after his performance against this defense on MNF. It became clear he wanted something that looked like THAT. Not only that, he personally asked Lance to go work out with John Beck before his pro day. Lance was his guy for a while. 

And then there's this: 

Lol.. 

I'd hope BB wouldn't have bitten on that...

I'm already tired of this 'who won the draft' or 'we got our guy' stuff. We simply don't know. Both could be busts. One of your guys quoted me in here a story that Mac lost his temper on a practice once and labelled it 'we made the right decision!' Next thing you know Mac looks good in pre-season and the media are blasting SF for not picking him. 

It's obscene. How about let's see a few games first?!

Rant over :D 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Even if their homework weren't 100% completed, they knew they'd have to trade up to get the better of the two (Lance or Jones). Maybe they didn't know then that it would be Lance, but the trade up was necessary in order to get the chance to draft the preferred one. If they stay at 12, the pats can make a much more reasonable trade to get ahead of the niners, and we end up with neither Lance or Jones. So we valued the trade up, no matter who we would end up picking.  We paid a premium in order to get some peace of mind. And if the evaluation is right, then we won't think it's an overpay down the road.

13 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Even if their homework weren't 100% completed, they knew they'd have to trade up to get the better of the two (Lance or Jones). Maybe they didn't know then that it would be Lance, but the trade up was necessary in order to get the chance to draft the preferred one. If they stay at 12, the pats can make a much more reasonable trade to get ahead of the niners, and we end up with neither Lance or Jones. So we valued the trade up, no matter who we would end up picking.  We paid a premium in order to get some peace of mind. And if the evaluation is right, then we won't think it's an overpay down the road.

This, above all else, makes the most sense to me. They wanted to come away with either Mac or Lance. I don't believe they lacked any pertinent info on the top QBs, and felt that it had to be one of their top 3. That they don't plan on ever drafting in the top 12 again, and this was the right time to develop a baby QBotF. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'm honestly not sure what new information this is actually saying. I have seen this making the rounds on twitter on people suggesting that it was an indication that the 49ers really wanted Jones and Shanny was talked out of it, and yadda yadda yadda. I don't see it. 

This reads to me only as, "the 49ers wanted to draft a QB, were afraid that they were going to be left without a chair if the music stopped", which they admitted when they made the trade. This reads to me more about there being no QBs left at 12 as opposed to anything that ties directly to Mac. If they viewed Mac as likely to the be the last off the board this is especially important. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm honestly not sure what new information this is actually saying. I have seen this making the rounds on twitter on people suggesting that it was an indication that the 49ers really wanted Jones and Shanny was talked out of it, and yadda yadda yadda. I don't see it. 

This reads to me only as, "the 49ers wanted to draft a QB, were afraid that they were going to be left without a chair if the music stopped", which they admitted when they made the trade. This reads to me more about there being no QBs left at 12 as opposed to anything that ties directly to Mac. If they viewed Mac as likely to the be the last off the board this is especially important. 

I don't see it either. Anyone claiming they have some sort of inside knowledge is not to be trusted, IMO

37 minutes ago, Forge said:

35 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I don't see it either. Anyone claiming they have some sort of inside knowledge is not to be trusted, IMO

And here is the thing, IF Shanny wanted Jones that badly, then NO ONE is talking him out of it. He was going to get his guy one way or another, and it didn't matter all that much if Lynch/scouting department preferred another QB.

Also, the draft happened months ago, why is Schefter reporting this now? It makes no sense at all lol. 

Whenever people want to pull the "well, I'll just trust the guys who work for an NFL team over internet guy" card when people complain about draft choices, this is one of the most glaring examples of why it just doesn't matter. NFL guy, random online gm...every pretty much has about the same odds of success lol. Everyone but the NFL team knew that this was going to be a horrible reach of a pick. Shocking it's not working out. 

• Like 1