Around the NFL III - The NFLiest Yet

y2lamanaki

Should the Seahawks move to the CFL?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Seahawks move to the CFL?

• Yes, be gone with them already.
    • No, I want see the Seahawks get beat down in the NFC West for years to come.
    • No, because then poor RudyZ might be stuck with them.
    • No, because I am a proud toothless member of the 12th Man which you all know means I became a fan in 2012. It's also the last year I took a shower, because my hygiene is lacking.

5 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

So if we just promote McDaniels to OC even if he is not calling plays does that mean he is safe, or if someone offered him the opportunity to call plays could he still leave? If he's safe at that point, I think that makes it a no-brainer to promote him or Lafluer if they thing he holds more value. 

It used to be (before this), that positional coaches / coordinators were all the same. They were all considered lateral moves. So if you were a RB coach and wanted to be interviewed for an OC spot, your team could block it. Now if they are a QB coach or something along those lines, they can interview for an OC position with someone even if they are under contract. 

Don't get me wrong...it's a much needed change that should have been made a while ago...but now we have a good coaching staff so it just kind of sucks for us lol. 

Personally? I'd promote Lafleur. I know it kind of sucks, but McDaniels' alcohol issues will give him a bit more of an uphill battle for him to get that kind of position than it will Lafleur. I really hate saying that, but I think it's true. I think McDaniels' is at a point where he's a legit candidate regardless, but it's something in the back of the mind to think about. 

Wasn't the rumor that if Saleh got the CLE job, he would have taken McDaniel with him as OC? 

I'd like to keep as many of these guys as possible, but i feel like clock is winding down. I'm like 80% sure the reason Stefanski is in CLE and not Saleh/McDaniel is because the owners didn't want to wait to make their hire. 

12 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Wasn't the rumor that if Saleh got the CLE job, he would have taken McDaniel with him as OC? 

I'd like to keep as many of these guys as possible, but i feel like clock is winding down. I'm like 80% sure the reason Stefanski is in CLE and not Saleh/McDaniel is because the owners didn't want to wait to make their hire. 

He's taking one of the Mike's with him wherever he gets his shot....That is if they don't get HC gigs themselves. It's okay, eventually these talented coaches were going to go elsewhere. Shanahan I know is probably ticked some, but it is what it is. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He's taking one of the Mike's with him wherever he gets his shot....That is if they don't get HC gigs themselves. It's okay, eventually these talented coaches were going to go elsewhere. Shanahan I know is probably ticked some, but it is what it is. 

Meh, its part of natural maturation. I mean he's been down this road himself. Sure it sucks having to fill holes within your staff but that's what you sign up for when you pursue being a HC.

Any good coach has contingencies. I'm sure Shanny knew that with success comes the raid on your staff and thus he already has guys in line for positions...in his head. Belicheck has been dealing with this for decades. Comes with the territory. Shanny will be fine. I might feel differently if he wasn't the one calling plays but until that day comes, he will always be straw that stirs the drink. Regardless of what any of his underlings official title says on their bio. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

It used to be (before this), that positional coaches / coordinators were all the same. They were all considered lateral moves. So if you were a RB coach and wanted to be interviewed for an OC spot, your team could block it. Now if they are a QB coach or something along those lines, they can interview for an OC position with someone even if they are under contract. 

Don't get me wrong...it's a much needed change that should have been made a while ago...but now we have a good coaching staff so it just kind of sucks for us lol. 

Personally? I'd promote Lafleur. I know it kind of sucks, but McDaniels' alcohol issues will give him a bit more of an uphill battle for him to get that kind of position than it will Lafleur. I really hate saying that, but I think it's true. I think McDaniels' is at a point where he's a legit candidate regardless, but it's something in the back of the mind to think about. 

I’ve never heard about this. I guess my question was can someone hijack one of our guys if we promote them to OC even if they aren’t calling plays? 

Edit: Just looking quickly it looks like he hasn’t had a drink since 2016. I’ve always got the impression that McDaniels was the most impressive of our two co-offensive coordinators. Maybe it’s all Shanahan, but if I’m picking one of the two to stick around it’d be McDaniels. 

Edited by Gore Whore 21

Besides Shanny & Lynch, the main guy i want to keep is Adam Peters. He was highly regarded coming from Denver and a key part of our FO. Shanny will lose coaches, part of being a good HC is replacing when they do leave. If we can keep maintaining our success, wouldn't be surprised to see Saleh/McDaniel/LaFleur as future head coaches. 

Speaking of, what tier would you guys rank Shanny in? I was tninking about it earlier today...

Tier 1 - Bellichek 

Tier 2 - Reid, Payton, Carroll, Harbaugh, Tomlin

Tier 3 - Shanny, McVay, Pederson, Reich

Tier 4 - McCarthy, Rivera, LaFleur, Zimmer, Arians, Vrabel

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Besides Shanny & Lynch, the main guy i want to keep is Adam Peters. He was highly regarded coming from Denver and a key part of our FO. Shanny will lose coaches, part of being a good HC is replacing when they do leave. If we can keep maintaining our success, wouldn't be surprised to see Saleh/McDaniel/LaFleur as future head coaches. 

Speaking of, what tier would you guys rank Shanny in? I was tninking about it earlier today...

Tier 1 - Bellichek 

Tier 2 - Reid, Payton, Carroll, Harbaugh, Tomlin

Tier 3 - Shanny, McVay, Pederson, Reich

Tier 4 - McCarthy, Rivera, LaFleur, Zimmer, Arians, Vrabel

I wouldn't have Carroll, Harbaugh or Tomlin in my 2nd tier personally. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Forge said:

But you can't get the job at all if you can't interview. Clearly our guys are well regarded. I would understand why a guy like Lafleur maybe doesn't want to work with his brother (weird working environment), but at some point, especially for the offensive guys, you need to probably spread your wings in order to get credit for what you are doing and have the chance to grow. It may not impact us, may impact us...but we are certainly more at risk of being impacted now than we were before. 

And are they position coaches technically they both have a coordinator function.

6 hours ago, Justone2 said:

And are they position coaches technically they both have a coordinator function.

I think an "offensive coordinator" would be considered a promotion and improvement for each of them being a "run game / pass game coordinator". IF it's not, that's a far too easy method to circumventing this allowance, which would seem to go against the spirit of it. 

Honestly, it's a really good rule. One that needed to be corrected, so I'm happy that they did it. Certainly has the chance to suck for us, but that's more of a wait and see thing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I think an "offensive coordinator" would be considered a promotion and improvement for each of them being a "run game / pass game coordinator". IF it's not, that's a far too easy method to circumventing this allowance, which would seem to go against the spirit of it. 

Honestly, it's a really good rule. One that needed to be corrected, so I'm happy that they did it. Certainly has the chance to suck for us, but that's more of a wait and see thing. 

But say LaFleur goes to the Packers does he really do much different then he does here? I get the rule change but i also get the way we think. If they will be the real coordinator and really get control over the Defense or Offense we let them go. Like we did with Scangarello after it was clear Kubiak wouldn't stay on and Woods going to the Browns.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Justone2 said:

But say LaFleur goes to the Packers does he really do much different then he does here? I get the rule change but i also get the way we think. If they will be the real coordinator and really get control over the Defense or Offense we let them go. Like we did with Scangarello after it was clear Kubiak wouldn't stay on and Woods going to the Browns.

We will see how things shake out, but I agree with you.

If I was lefleur or mcdaniels I wouldn't leave here to go to a team where I am not calling plays, unless it was a huge pay increase. I would hope in that scenario Jed would just pay them. We are loaded with cash and the development project next door is going to leave our franchise flush with cash forever.

Side note - I saw a headline "49ers will lose $200m if the season is played without fans" what a bull**** headline. The 49ers wont lose 200m if the season is played without fans, they will just not make $200m. Its lost revenue but not operating a loss. Big ****ing difference. They made a lot of money from concerts etc as well, but that is still not going to make the NFL lose any money. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, N4L said:

We will see how things shake out, but I agree with you.

If I was lefleur or mcdaniels I wouldn't leave here to go to a team where I am not calling plays, unless it was a huge pay increase. I would hope in that scenario Jed would just pay them. We are loaded with cash and the development project next door is going to leave our franchise flush with cash forever.

Side note - I saw a headline "49ers will lose $200m if the season is played without fans" what a bull**** headline. The 49ers wont lose 200m if the season is played without fans, they will just not make $200m. Its lost revenue but not operating a loss. Big ****ing difference. They made a lot of money from concerts etc as well, but that is still not going to make the NFL lose any money. 

I guess this proves that reporters are not economists?  But they can play one on TV, right? 9_9

I don't know that I am familiar with what is developing next door....?

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I guess this proves that reporters are not economists?  But they can play one on TV, right? 9_9

I don't know that I am familiar with what is developing next door....?

https://www.constructiondive.com/news/relateds-8b-bay-area-project-near-stadium-to-start-in-2020/554919/

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/8-billion-in-offices-retail-and-housing-to-be-13847339.php 

This is why the stadium was built here. DeBartolo family quietly bought up surrounding land, then decided to build a stadium with public money right next to it. This was their long term vision from day one. Remember, the DeBartolo family made their money in real estate before buying the niners. 

I am also wondering if Great America will survive a summer being closed. They could potentially own the entire area

• Like 1