Week 14 GDT - New Orleans Saints vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Well, the result definitely sucked last Sunday, but that was a damn good high level football game. We just came up a little short but had our opportunities. It just sucks that we came out of that game pretty banged up. Tartt has a broken rib and may not play this Sunday and Sherman has a knee sprain and those injuries could take a few weeks to recover. In other good news though, there is a good chance Staley/Breida/Ford return this week. Brunskill has been great in pass protection, but Staley is a different animal in the run game. With McGlinchey FINALLY seeming to be healthy and back to his former self, our run game has been very good the last two weeks. And if Staley can return and be healthier than he was the last time we saw him, we can see this team get back to running for damn near 200 yards every game. 

As for the game this week, it is pretty much a must win if we want to keep our hopes of having the #1 seed. A loss here and we would need some help to even have a chance to win our division. It goes without saying how big this game is. I said last night this is 2013 all over again, and if you recall, we had a big showdown against New Orelans that year where we got absolutely screwed by a terrible call on Ahmad Brooks and that essentially cost us HFA in the playoffs. That game was in New Orleans and this one is as well. But I truly believe we just have the better team top to bottom. The Saints are great at pretty much every level, but their offense hasn't been producing as many big plays this year. A lot of dink and donk type of passing game. We are top 2 in the league in preventing the big play and we did a great job of limiting the Ravens big plays last week. It goes without saying we have to do the same this week as well. This is why I worry about Tartt's injury. He is a VERY sound football player and has been one of the main reasons why our secondary has been so disciplined. Harris made a game changing play last week, but he is still a reckless player.

Our backers have to limit Kamara in the passing game and bring him down when they have the opportunity. That is one way the Saints can have a decent amount of success against our defense. You know they will be targeting Thomas early and often, but we just can't allow him to break any long YACs. Make him have a seven catch 60 yard type of game. Excited to see Ahkello matched up against Thomas. 

As for offense, the Saints are really good at stopping the run but if we have Staley healthy, we should be able to have some success on the ground. And need to get Kittle involved more in the passing game. The weather conditions in Baltimore were terrible and took away from our passing game, but we should be able to compete with anyone with the trio of Kittle/Deebo/Sanders. Jimmy G needs to protect the ball and can't have a big turnover as the Dome tends to explode when their defense makes a big play. 

This is another game that won't be easy, but I like our chances. SF 27 NO 17.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dub_City30 said:

Witherspoon is going to give him problems. Michael Thomas is a product if the system

Well, sounds good to me. I'd guess Thomas is also a product of having great routes, hands, and size to be comfy over the middle too. 

We probably will, but I don't want to see us making it easy for Drew Brees. Dude throws underneath all day, and will look to negate our pass rush. We let him do this, and we are chumps. If our CBs are as good as advertised.. we need to make them prove it by locking them more into tight man and press. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Well, sounds good to me. I'd guess Thomas is also a product of having great routes, hands, and size to be comfy over the middle too. 

We probably will, but I don't want to see us making it easy for Drew Brees. Dude throws underneath all day, and will look to negate our pass rush. We let him do this, and we are chumps. If our CBs are as good as advertised.. we need to make them prove it by locking them more into tight man and press. 

Our entire pass defense is built around taking away the deep ball and give up underneath catches and come up and make the tackle. That's not going to change. This is the Seahawks circa 2012-2014 defense all over again. Quick hitters will be there for opposing teams and actually one of the reasons why the Cards have had success against this defense. 

But yeah, there will be times where our DBs get right into their WRs and we shall see who wins that battle. 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Our entire pass defense is built around taking away the deep ball and give up underneath catches and come up and make the tackle. That's not going to change. This is the Seahawks circa 2012-2014 defense all over again. Quick hitters will be there for opposing teams and actually one of the reasons why the Cards have had success against this defense. 

But yeah, there will be times where our DBs get right into their WRs and we shall see who wins that battle. 

welp... guess we will get it how live... win or lose... ¬¬

So game pass is up and there was some debate on if our play calling after the Mostert run on the possession before halftime changed?

Let's take a look! 

First play which was a short completion to Bourne where the Ravens jumped offside. We ran go routes with Kittle and Deebo on opposite sides with the other receivers running underneath routes. Jimmy G had to get rid of it quickly due to Richburg getting beat fairly quickly off the snap. 

Second play, Deebo runs another go route and has a half step but the Ravens bring a blitz from the opposite side and Jimmy G ends up taking off but man did he miss Kittle wide open across the field for an EASY 20 yard completion if not a potential TD. Like if he goes to Kittle, he has one guy in front of him, which is the corner covering Deebo on the go route and I like Kittle's chances there. Wow, did not see this watching it live.

Third play, Sanders runs about a 12-13 yard comeback route and Jimmy is inaccurate with the pass. 

Fourth play, and everyone knows this one where Mostert was unable to catch the ball clean. HUGE bobble as if he turned up field, with the way he was running it, would have been a pretty easy 7-8 yard completion. Instead he bobbles it and only picks up three yards. 

So yeah @Forge, sorry going to have to disagree with you on this one. Maybe you will be able to see it a little differently than I did, but I didn't see the play calling change any but he just had terrible execution. With Richburg getting beat on one play, Jimmy taking off instead of waiting for Kittle to clear the middle of the field to Jimmy being inaccurate on the comeback route to Mostert bobbling the ball and losing out on some yards. We had plenty of chances that drive to pick up an additional 10-15 yards. Terrible, now I regret even going back to watching this since I'm depressed at how Jimmy didn't see Kittle for a potential TD. SMH! 

• Like 2

I'm going big win here. I wasn't that disappointed in the loss against the Ravens, but I will be pretty disappointed if the 49ers lose against the Saints. Even though it's a road game, I think we matchup well against them, and Brees, like Rodgers, just doesn't make me nervous with our elite pass defense. Also, the pass rush should be able to raise hell especially if Ford comes back for an added boost. It's in a dome, and not out in the cold rain so Jimmy will have a better opportunity to air it out, but we probably try to run it down their throats. The run game can have another big day. If the 49ers can't beat New Orleans, I feel it will be because of self inflicted turnovers compared to being shut down by them or whatever. We'll see. 

I like us to win 34-17. Always a treat to beat up on an ex-NFC West resident. 

Edited by PapaShogun

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So yeah @Forge, sorry going to have to disagree with you on this one. Maybe you will be able to see it a little differently than I did, but I didn't see the play calling change any but he just had terrible execution. With Richburg getting beat on one play, Jimmy taking off instead of waiting for Kittle to clear the middle of the field to Jimmy being inaccurate on the comeback route to Mostert bobbling the ball and losing out on some yards. We had plenty of chances that drive to pick up an additional 10-15 yards. Terrible, now I regret even going back to watching this since I'm depressed at how Jimmy didn't see Kittle for a potential TD. SMH! 

No problem. I hadn't had a chance to go back and check the plays either, which is why I was qualifying it because I wasn't sure if it did have an impact on the playcalls or not. I will go back and watch as well. Thanks for making me sad that he missed a wide open Kittle though LOL (I wasn't aware of that). Still, I think we wasted close to a minute off the clock unnecessarily by missing two timeouts earlier in the drive, and I would have rather have started that final set of downs from where we were with close to a minute to go and one timeout rather than 23 seconds and all three timeouts. But that will largely be a philosophical difference. 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

No problem. I hadn't had a chance to go back and check the plays either, which is why I was qualifying it because I wasn't sure if it did have an impact on the playcalls or not. I will go back and watch as well. Thanks for making me sad that he missed a wide open Kittle though LOL (I wasn't aware of that). Still, I think we wasted close to a minute off the clock unnecessarily by missing two timeouts earlier in the drive, and I would have rather have started that final set of downs from where we were with close to a minute to go and one timeout rather than 23 seconds and all three timeouts. But that will largely be a philosophical difference. 

Trust me, I'm not happy at all. Like it was actually the perfect play called for the weak side blitz. Jimmy did have a lane to run, but if he was a bit more patient, that is an EASY 20 yard completion at the very least. I don't know if Jimmy just didn't see over the LB or if his mind was made to take off already but if he waited for Kittle to clear, it was a big play. 

But this is why if we do get a rematch, I am confident our passing offense can do some damage. It's not really in Jimmy's nature to give guys like Deebo a chance at a 50/50 ball like he did on the first possession, but there were opportunities to go to him deep on single coverage. And Sanders route running is damn good and was able to get separation from Smith pretty much all game. 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

I want to see if more teams do what the Ravens did and start putting a corner on Kittle a little more regularly. 

I mean honestly that would be great for the rest of the receivers. The Ravens just have a gazillion corners so they can do that while having some other quality ones to match up with Sanders/Samuel. But I don't think putting a corner on him really slowed our offense down or anything. We barely threw the ball but I'm sure there were times we could have taken more shots to Kittle in better conditions.