Week 14 GDT - New Orleans Saints vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean honestly that would be great for the rest of the receivers. The Ravens just have a gazillion corners so they can do that while having some other quality ones to match up with Sanders/Samuel. But I don't think putting a corner on him really slowed our offense down or anything. We barely threw the ball but I'm sure there were times we could have taken more shots to Kittle in better conditions. 

I made a big long post about it in the Ravens forum (on why it presented problems for teams if they did that), I think some of that may have come to fruition against the Ravens, seeing as how easily we ran the ball. It's a tricky situation for defenses when we run so much 21 and 12 personnel on the field for running and passing. I mean, you put a corner on Kittle and we run it out of that formation, he's going to destroy whomever is covering him in the blocking game lol. So then you just get gashed in the running game. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I made a big long post about it in the Ravens forum (on why it presented problems for teams if they did that), I think some of that may have come to fruition against the Ravens, seeing as how easily we ran the ball. It's a tricky situation for defenses when we run so much 21 and 12 personnel on the field for running and passing. I mean, you put a corner on Kittle and we run it out of that formation, he's going to destroy whomever is covering him in the blocking game lol. So then you just get gashed in the running game. 

Yep, that is true and Shanny definitely targeted the edge and their corners in the run game. And we saw Peters whiff a few times trying to tackle Mostert. Sanders/Samuel are too good to not take advantage of having inferior corners on them if teams try putting their big/best corners on Kittle. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yep, that is true and Shanny definitely targeted the edge and their corners in the run game. And we saw Peters whiff a few times trying to tackle Mostert. Sanders/Samuel are too good to not take advantage of having inferior corners on them if teams try putting their big/best corners on Kittle. 

I'm super excited about Deebo. We finally got a receiver pick right. It feels good man. I don't know what we do on the opposite side moving forward after this year (not sure if we resign Manny or if we go in another direction), but it seriously feels good to have finally just gotten the receiver pick correct.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm super excited about Deebo. We finally got a receiver pick right. It feels good man. I don't know what we do on the opposite side moving forward after this year (not sure if we resign Manny or if we go in another direction), but it seriously feels good to have finally just gotten the receiver pick correct.

It's been frustrating with Pettis but I think Taylor missing another full season and Hurd not getting on the field are what really may be holding this O back...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Who's the odd man out if Breida returns to action? Even divide on the carries and snaps between all three? Does Coleman get pushed off to the side, or Mostert? 

Hard to tell. They really need Mosert for ST, he’s so good and hard to replace mid season should something g happen. I think Mosert definitely cuts into his rushing touches, not sure as a receiver. But Mosert has been really impressive as a runner for almost 16 games. The long term question is much more interesting. I think Coleman goes bye bye after this year and I think we draft a guy In the late rounds. 

Just now, Forge said:

Who's the odd man out if Breida returns to action? Even divide on the carries and snaps between all three? Does Coleman get pushed off to the side, or Mostert? 

Wilson.

I mean Breida/Coleman/Mostert will probably all split carries/snaps depending on who has the hot hand. Shanny loves Coleman, due to his receiving ability but the other two are far better runners in this scheme than him. Though if we have Coleman instead of Mostert in the game before halftime, that is probably the 7-8 yard gain that helps Gould make his FG.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John232 said:

Hard to tell. They really need Mosert for ST, he’s so good and hard to replace mid season should something g happen. I think Mosert definitely cuts into his rushing touches, not sure as a receiver. But Mosert has been really impressive as a runner for almost 16 games. The long term question is much more interesting. I think Coleman goes bye bye after this year and I think we draft a guy In the late rounds. 

Yeah, I've been advocating that for a while now, and I got a little bit of time in yesterday's pod to share my excitement lol. Coleman just hasn't been impressive, and as good as Mostert is as a gunner, I'd actually value his running at this stage even more. Moore looked really good last year as a gunner, so I still think we will be solid that regard (Wish really helps) even without Mostert. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Yeah, I've been advocating that for a while now, and I got a little bit of time in yesterday's pod to share my excitement lol. Coleman just hasn't been impressive, and as good as Mostert is as a gunner, I'd actually value his running at this stage even more. Moore looked really good last year as a gunner, so I still think we will be solid that regard (Wish really helps) even without Mostert. 

Oh, you mean the pick that some (not necessarily you) were belly aching about picking a Punter in the 4th round? That guy? Yep. I like him a lot. xD

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wilson.

I mean Breida/Coleman/Mostert will probably all split carries/snaps depending on who has the hot hand. Shanny loves Coleman, due to his receiving ability but the other two are far better runners in this scheme than him. Though if we have Coleman instead of Mostert in the game before halftime, that is probably the 7-8 yard gain that helps Gould make his FG.

I excluded Wilson because he wasn't getting much play as it was. Snap count has been 5, 5 and 1 the last three games. The thing is, I haven't been super impressed with Coleman as a receiver this year. Definitely better than Mostert in that regard, but he's had some iffy moments. In the draft, I'd be looking really hard at a true receiving back if that is what we want. JJ Taylor is a super tiny dude, but could be a Tarik Cohen type player

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

I excluded Wilson because he wasn't getting much play as it was. Snap count has been 5, 5 and 1 the last three games. The thing is, I haven't been super impressed with Coleman as a receiver this year. Definitely better than Mostert in that regard, but he's had some iffy moments. In the draft, I'd be looking really hard at a true receiving back if that is what we want. JJ Taylor is a super tiny dude, but could be a Tarik Cohen type player

Ronnie Rivers from Fresno State as an UDFA!!!!!!!!!

Coleman and Jimmy G have been off on some passes and some drops from Coleman, but he's still on another level than Mostert in that area. Like the catch he made across the middle against Arizona for a big gain? Mostert isn't doing that. Just not really sure why Mostert even bobbled the ball, looked like a routine catch to be honest. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Ronnie Rivers from Fresno State as an UDFA!!!!!!!!!

Coleman and Jimmy G have been off on some passes and some drops from Coleman, but he's still on another level than Mostert in that area. Like the catch he made across the middle against Arizona for a big gain? Mostert isn't doing that. Just not really sure why Mostert even bobbled the ball, looked like a routine catch to be honest. 

He's just not a natural pass catcher at all. Out of the 4, I think he's by far the worst receiver we have. I think Jeff Wilson is pretty competent in that regard, and while Breida still isn't natural, he's miles ahead of where he used to be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I want to see if more teams do what the Ravens did and start putting a corner on Kittle a little more regularly. 

That would be a big mistake for them. And teams have tried that before. Not for the entirety of the game but on certain coverages. Its a win/win for us really in that scenario. Either we gash you with the run or Kittle plays power forward and out-muscle a CB. The Ravens may think they had some success but ultimately we couldn't pass the way we normally do because of the conditions. Put a CB on Kittle and you will die the death of thousand cuts...its inevitable.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

I leave on a week long vacation and have a 4 day Hockey tournament for my Son and you guys couldn't keep it together against Baltimore? Jut a solid all around game by both teams. 2 losses by a combined 6 points and both games were there for the taking. It takes a great performance and no mistakes to beat the Niners. Saints are a good team, but I too feel like the Niners are better top to bottom.

The Niners need to contain Kamara and Murray. When the Saints get these guys going they start to tear teams apart. Offense should be able to run the ball and that should open up the PA, boots and misdirection. I just don't see the Saints offense threatening the Niners defense in this one. I look for the pass rush to have a nice game especially if the Saints are down 2 o lineman.

27-13 SF