Week 14 GDT - New Orleans Saints vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 hours ago, Dub_City30 said:

Is this the game we go deep to open up the running game? The Saints haven't allowed a 100yd rusher in like 30 something games. 

I doubt it. It's just not a consistent part of the offense, so I don't imagine that we will suddenly change that now. Plus, the Saints secondary is good as well. The offense is efficient as is. Sure, I wish for more big plays, but hard to argue that it's not working. No reason to fix what isn't broken. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dub_City30 said:

Is this the game we go deep to open up the running game? The Saints haven't allowed a 100yd rusher in like 30 something games. 

That really means nothing. If we can get 60 yards out Coleman and Brieda each, we'll be fine. Having a single rusher over 100 yards is kind of a archaic stat to track. Especially if it took you 36 carries to get that 100. Or when you have a committee of backs like we do. Yards per carry carries more weight with me personally.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

That really means nothing. If we can get 60 yards out Coleman and Brieda each, we'll be fine. Having a single rusher over 100 yards is kind of a archaic stat to track. Especially if it took you 36 carries to get that 100. Or when you have a committee of backs like we do. Yards per carry carries more weight with me personally.

Well just stating an indication if just how good their RunD is. Just wanted to see if wed get more explosive to open up some running lanes not necessary we need a 100 yd rusher. 

16 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Honestly, we should double Thomas from the first snap. Make Brees go elsewhere with the ball. He's virtually the entirety of their passing offense. Their second leading receiver after Thomas is Kamara with like 450 yards. Thomas IS their passing game. Double up Thomas, keep two eyes on Kamara and let everyone else try and beat you. Until they give Thomas some help on the outside, you double Thomas first...that should be the start of any defensive gameplan. I trust our secondary and our rush to take care of the rest.

This. This will be the Saints undoing this year. Nobody outside of Thomas is reliable. Ginn and Cook both dropped TD passes against the Falcons last week. I'd rather see Taysom and Kamara lined up at WR than anyone on the roster not named Thomas.

5 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Think Saints are ranked 3rd against the run this year. Forgot the exact number, but it was like 85ish rushing yards per game. Just pick on PJ Williams all game. He's like a TD turnstile. 

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article238035959.html

Sense of urgency is sky high as 49ers prepare for vital game game in New Orleans

“The sense of urgency is huge,” receiver Emmanuel Sanders said after Wednesday’s practice. “It’s playoff football around here.” The Saints game will mark the 49ers’ first of the season in a closed dome (the retractable roof was open when the 49ers played in Arizona on Halloween night). And until the 49ers play in Seattle, New Orleans will likely provide the toughest road environment the 49ers have faced this season, and perhaps since Shanahan became head coach in 2017. “No secret it’s a loud place,” Staley said. “But I think the more prepared you are, the more on it with your details. You go in there, you try to just handle your business. We practice all that stuff, going silent count, silent cadence, we’ve been practicing that all year, something that we’re very comfortable with.”

20 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article238035959.html

Sense of urgency is sky high as 49ers prepare for vital game game in New Orleans

It better be! If we lose this, we are likely just the 5th seed (regardless of the outcome of Seattle @ Seattle)--that is not a road well paved for the Super Bowl. We could still do it, but I would much rather have the 1st seed and bye.

13 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

It better be! If we lose this, we are likely just the 5th seed (regardless of the outcome of Seattle @ Seattle)--that is not a road well paved for the Super Bowl. We could still do it, but I would much rather have the 1st seed and bye.

We could lose this game and still win the division. It's not the most hopeful scenario, but it's doable. This would require the Seahawks to lose two more times this year, include us beating them in week 17. 

In all reality, the week 17 game is now the most important game on our schedule. Regardless of what happens this weekend, week 17 will decide if we get a first-round bye or we're the 5th seed.

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

We could lose this game and still win the division. It's not the most hopeful scenario, but it's doable. This would require the Seahawks to lose two more times this year, include us beating them in week 17. 

In all reality, the week 17 game is now the most important game on our schedule. Regardless of what happens this weekend, week 17 will decide if we get a first-round bye or we're the 5th seed.

That's putting our team's hopes and destiny in someone else's hands. We cannot count on them to lose any games. They get the calls and/or get really lucky. We get neither.

• Like 1

@y2lamanaki says we will win out, and he ain't no homer, so I'm tying my wagon to that. :P 

We all want the HFA fer sure, but I'll settle for what I get... because I gots no choices in this. What I do think, is that regardless of this season's adventures, the 49ers will be a legit contender for many years. 

This makes me happy. :) 

• Like 3