Trumaine Johnson

LARams91

I actually have a feeling that Tru would take a little bit less money to stay with us. He'd still need to be paid $$$, but not take the best deal he can get to stay in LA. Just a gut feeling. If we cut Tavon, is it feasible for us to sign Tru, Donald, Joyner, Ogletree, and Watkins?

17 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I actually have a feeling that Tru would take a little bit less money to stay with us. He'd still need to be paid $$$, but not take the best deal he can get to stay in LA. Just a gut feeling. If we cut Tavon, is it feasible for us to sign Tru, Donald, Joyner, Ogletree, and Watkins?

I agree with that feeling. He really wants to stay in LA it seems, which is why I ask the question. I could see him taking maybe 5-10% less than market value to stay with the team, which could definitely work with our cap situation. We have over $60 mil in cap space next year, so there are plenty of options. Robert Quinn could move some money around to get some more room. I actually see us cutting Mark Barron before Tavon as we would get more cap relief, though both are options.

8 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Ive gone over these numbers before, but in short, it would be VERY hard to pull off.

Assuming the cap goes to about $170m (small increase) we would have about $53m in free cap space, that with only 41 players on the roster. We could clear another $20m+ with cuts like Barron, Austin, and Saffold. And even another $5m to cut Woods.

So at most, we could be looking at around $80m in cap space, needing to use that to sign 16 guys. We have 9 Draft picks; no 2nd, but 2 extra 6th and an extra 7th. So if we thought we could hit on ALL of those to be contributors in 2018 (unlikely) thats about $6m in draft picks since we dont have a 2nd rounder. So that means about $74m for 7 guys.

So one at a time here...

• Aaron Donald - He is actually scheduled to count as about $7m for the 2018 cap right now. So if we are going to make him the Highest paid player in the league thats more than $19m per. So lets say he gets an even AAV of $20m. Thants an extra $13m from next years Cap (down to $61m in free cap)
  • Trumaine Johnson - We know his Tag number is higher than he is worth. So lets say his true market value is about $12m. Lets take that VERY generous discount some of you will think he is giving us (15%) that still makes him a $10m guy. (now $51m free cap room)
  • Sammy Watkins - Hopkins just reset the WR market, so it will be very hard to judge what his contract will be. Remember we paid Woods $7m per, Kenny Britt got $8m per, Garcon $9.5 and DeSean got over $11m per. Barring another injury, I would take Watckins over all of those guys. I would be conservitive in call him at $12m AAV. ($39m in free Cap space)
  • Alec Ogletree - While you might think that this is where the money starts to come down you'd be wrong. The top guys are making some good cash (Kuechly-$12m, Bowman/Cushing-$9m+) With Tree's rookie deal, he is the 5th highest paid Inside Linebacker this year at $8.37m. He isnt going too far down from there. So say we get lucky, thats still probably $8m per year ($31m free Cap)
  • LaMarcus Loyner - LJ bet on himself, I see this very much like a Janoris Jenkins situation. If we want to keep him around, we are going to have to have the best offer. Two years ago, Rodney got $7m per and in a down Safety FA class the top guys got $6m per this year. If LJ is worth keeping around, id say the AAV starts at $8m.

Now taking all the most favorable scenarios for the Rams, that still takes us down to $22m in cap space. And while you may think we can do some contract manipulation to massage these numbers down in year 1, remember they then go up in the following years. And with being kind with the AAVs, Id say these are as low as we will get for Year 1 of these contracts. So sure we could then hang onto Woods and possibly Saffold (if hes worth it) but thats down to about $11m in Cap space with having to find Starters at ILB, C, OLB and LS. Not to mention big time contributors along the DL, in the Secondary (including a Nickel back) and at RB. And we havent even attempted to shore up the Offensive Line here.

Long story short, its unlikely they all stay and we are able to improve this team at all. We dont have the luxury of a cheap 2nd round QB to throw money at all our other holes.

3 hours ago, El ramster said:

Barron >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tavon.. 

Are you pacersboi? lol

We need to resign tru. Idk if it will be popular here or not but we need to let olgetree go. Hes undersized for a MLB. He doesnt get off blocks. And his coverage is not good. He is a 4-3 olb. Oh and his tackling is STILL inconsistent. I would not pay him big bucks.Barron needs to go too. Idk how much we will save if we cuts him but he wouldnt be my priority.

Cut Austin.

Let Ogletree go.

Cut Barron (?)

Resign tru, joyner, donald, watkins.

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ive gone over these numbers before, but in short, it would be VERY hard to pull off.

Assuming the cap goes to about $170m (small increase) we would have about $53m in free cap space, that with only 41 players on the roster. We could clear another $20m+ with cuts like Barron, Austin, and Saffold. And even another $5m to cut Woods.

So at most, we could be looking at around $80m in cap space, needing to use that to sign 16 guys. We have 9 Draft picks; no 2nd, but 2 extra 6th and an extra 7th. So if we thought we could hit on ALL of those to be contributors in 2018 (unlikely) thats about $6m in draft picks since we dont have a 2nd rounder. So that means about $74m for 7 guys.

So one at a time here...

• Aaron Donald - He is actually scheduled to count as about $7m for the 2018 cap right now. So if we are going to make him the Highest paid player in the league thats more than $19m per. So lets say he gets an even AAV of $20m. Thants an extra $13m from next years Cap (down to $61m in free cap)
  • Trumaine Johnson - We know his Tag number is higher than he is worth. So lets say his true market value is about $12m. Lets take that VERY generous discount some of you will think he is giving us (15%) that still makes him a $10m guy. (now $51m free cap room)
  • Sammy Watkins - Hopkins just reset the WR market, so it will be very hard to judge what his contract will be. Remember we paid Woods $7m per, Kenny Britt got $8m per, Garcon $9.5 and DeSean got over $11m per. Barring another injury, I would take Watckins over all of those guys. I would be conservitive in call him at $12m AAV. ($39m in free Cap space)
  • Alec Ogletree - While you might think that this is where the money starts to come down you'd be wrong. The top guys are making some good cash (Kuechly-$12m, Bowman/Cushing-$9m+) With Tree's rookie deal, he is the 5th highest paid Inside Linebacker this year at $8.37m. He isnt going too far down from there. So say we get lucky, thats still probably $8m per year ($31m free Cap)
  • LaMarcus Loyner - LJ bet on himself, I see this very much like a Janoris Jenkins situation. If we want to keep him around, we are going to have to have the best offer. Two years ago, Rodney got $7m per and in a down Safety FA class the top guys got $6m per this year. If LJ is worth keeping around, id say the AAV starts at $8m.

Now taking all the most favorable scenarios for the Rams, that still takes us down to $22m in cap space. And while you may think we can do some contract manipulation to massage these numbers down in year 1, remember they then go up in the following years. And with being kind with the AAVs, Id say these are as low as we will get for Year 1 of these contracts. So sure we could then hang onto Woods and possibly Saffold (if hes worth it) but thats down to about $11m in Cap space with having to find Starters at ILB, C, OLB and LS. Not to mention big time contributors along the DL, in the Secondary (including a Nickel back) and at RB. And we havent even attempted to shore up the Offensive Line here.

Long story short, its unlikely they all stay and we are able to improve this team at all. We dont have the luxury of a cheap 2nd round QB to throw money at all our other holes.

We do have the draft, though. That will potentially allow us to find starters at ILB, OLB, and C. Additionally, those are three positions where you can often find cheap players (especially C). Wade has had a ton of success finding gems at ILB. And we may end up having a gem on our roster for all we know.

At the end of the day, if we want to retain all our guys and they want to stay, I think we can pull it off.

IMO, the order the players should be prioritized to be re-signed is:

Aaron Donald (should be done this season)

Trumaine Johnson

Sammy Watkins

Lamarcus Joyner

Alec Ogeltree

i like Tree but I think he's the most expendable of that group. Also I feel like he's a prime candidate to get paid more than what he's worth. If there's anyone we could replace through the draft, it's likely him. While it's obvious Donald needs to be resigned, he needed to be put there anyway. I think Tru is too valuable to this team, especially considering how thin we are at CB. I think Watkins is a true number 1 WR, something we haven't had in a long time. Letting him walk, especially after trading a second rounder for him would be very foolish. I like Joyner and it seems he's found himself quite the role at FS, but I don't think it would be the end of the world if he wasn't retained. With that said, they should still make an effort to do so. 

Donald, Watkins, and Joyner should take priority.

I know this sounds like an odd thing to say about our "best CB," but Tru is more replaceable in Wade's scheme than Joyner is.  Obviously it's a need I'd prefer not to have to add to our tally, but it's doable if it came down to it.  Wade's scheme has succeeded with a number of good-not-great guys who, when he applied the proper pass-rush and roamer to the equation, looked much better than their individual skill set actually were as part of a whole.  This is basically the Quentin Jammer/Drayton Florence/Orlando Scandrick story to a 'T'.

I personally see us being able to keep all of these guys. Robert Quinn's money can be convert to bonus and could relieve close to $3 mil as well. I think we are pretty cap flexible down the line. I see us having roughly $60 mil in cap space when the cap increase happens. This should give us plenty of options. Not to mention, cutting a guy like Whitworth after next year frees up a ton of space as well (fingers crossed we draft a tackle in the 2018 loaded class...). I think it's possible to keep them all, let Mo Alexander walk (John Johnson will take over that spot), sign/draft a linebacker, Samson Ebukam could show some at OLB. We'd be returning damn near the same team which is huge.

Archived