Browns Playoff Chances

braylon

This forum is all doom and gloom and I'm sick of it. Season started horrifically, I know. We lost on Sunday.. Yes, that SUCKED. Baker still looked good IMO. We have vastly improved since the bye. Our team is still talented. They've shown flashes. The season is not over yet. This team is absolutely capable of winning out. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/upshot/cleveland-browns-nfl-playoff-picture.html

Let's start with the spreads of games that have heavy playoff implications for us this week:

Bengals @ (-7.5) Browns

Ravens (-6) @ Bills

Colts @ (-3.5) Bucs

Titans (-3) @ Raiders

Steelers @ Cardinals (pick'em)

Are they all going to fall our way? Probably not. But, each game in a vacuum could easily go the way we need it to. According to the linked odds calculator, if every game this week goes our way and we win out we have a 75% chance of making the playoffs. Like I said, not extremely likely.. But acting like the season is over.. I'm not ready for that yet. We've had the past 20 years to look ahead to the offseason while the rest of the league was fighting for playoff spots and analyzing different scenarios. Until we lose another game, I'm going to be part of the latter crew. Screw talking about how to fix the Browns for next season. I want to talk about what we can do to make the playoffs THIS year.

If I'm not mistaken.. If we win out we own the tiebreaker over every other team in the playoff race, other than TEN.

TEN

@OAK

HOU

NO

@HOU

TEN is definitely our biggest obstacle. They own the tiebreaker, which means we need them to lose 3 of their remaining 4 games. Not super likely, but I will say they are certainly the inferior team in the final three games. If OAK can steal the game at home this week I won't be feeling TOO bad about our odds.

PIT

@ARI

BUF

@NYJ

@BAL

We would own the tiebreaker over PIT if we win out and they go 2-2. Not gonna analyze this one game by game, but 2-2 is well within the realm of possibility.

IND

@TB

@NO

CAR

@JAX

We just need them to lose one of these games as I believe we would have the tiebreaker over them as well. Again, this is WELL within the realm of possibility.

OAK

TEN

JAX

@LAC

@DEN

Same goes for OAK, we would own the tiebreaker I believe, so I am rooting for OAK big time this week. I would definitely have faith in one of the remaining three teams defeating the Raiders to keep our playoffs hope alive.

BUF

BAL

@PIT

@NE

NYJ

This one is probably a waste.. but I do think there is more than a minute chance that Buffalo loses out, potentially leaving the window open for the second wildcard spot. I really think PIT stinks, and NYJ @ home isn't the toughest test.. But Buffalo is overrated IMO. They could drop 4 straight.

All that being said, I think the most UNLIKELY scenario is us winning out. @ARZ will be a tough game. Obviously the Ravens are a huge hurdle and then even the Bengals are a divisional rival who just inserted Dalton back into the lineup (not the scariest QB in the world, but undoubtedly better than the rook they were playing). What do we need to do to win out?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Here’s how we get in:

Win out.

Tennessee sweeps Houston.

Pittsburgh loses to Buffalo and Baltimore. 

I think there is a better chance that the Texans sweep the Titans and the Titans also lose to N.O.

If the Steelers beat the Bills then we have to hope that the Pats and Jets beat the Bills.

This hasn't been a good year but we weren't playing well when we met the Ravens last time and took them to school so it could happen again. Wilkes kept it simple against them last time and it worked well enough. This week against the Cardinals isn't a sure thing though.

I think the offense needs to have some fun out there. Let the players run some of their plays like last year, yeah there will be criticism with a double reverse WR pass but it gets the players hyped up and keeps them interested. Freddie has been too little like last year's Freddie to me which ran crazy schemes and let players have some freedom. It isn't typical but it worked last year I see no reason to stop it until it stops working. Working means the offense is playing well, most of the player's plays last year failed but the effort was outstanding and you could tell everyone cared.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think there is a better chance that the Texans sweep the Titans and the Titans also lose to N.O.

If the Steelers beat the Bills then we have to hope that the Pats and Jets beat the Bills.

This hasn't been a good year but we weren't playing well when we met the Ravens last time and took them to school so it could happen again. Wilkes kept it simple against them last time and it worked well enough. This week against the Cardinals isn't a sure thing though.

I think the offense needs to have some fun out there. Let the players run some of their plays like last year, yeah there will be criticism with a double reverse WR pass but it gets the players hyped up and keeps them interested. Freddie has been too little like last year's Freddie to me which ran crazy schemes and let players have some freedom. It isn't typical but it worked last year I see no reason to stop it until it stops working. Working means the offense is playing well, most of the player's plays last year failed but the effort was outstanding and you could tell everyone cared.

I agree with you. I just have a weird vibe about Tennessee and Houston. I think Houston will implode.

• Like 1