Week 14 GDT: San Francisco 49ers(10-2) vs. New Orleans Saints (10-2): You come at the king, you best not miss

Canadian Saint

Well well well. Your #1 seed NFC New Orleans Saints host fellow NFC contender in the San Francisco 49ers in a game which will have far reaching playoff consequences. A win for the Saints here and it could keep us on the track for the #1 seed going into the playoffs. While we're a good football team everywhere, if the NFC went through New Orleans, it would give us the best chance to reach the superbowl. A loss for the 49ers here will give the Seahawks a chance to take the top spot in their division, and IIRC, leave the 49ers a possible #5 seed going into the playoffs. Expect a tough and physical game

Coaches corner:

- Injuries will be a factor in both sides. For the 49ers, Sherman twisted his knee (from reports) and while he'll likely play, questions will arise if he will be 100%. He'll need to be going against MT. For us, status of LT Terron Armstead will be something worth following. While Patrick Omemeh played well, against the 49ers defensive front, we'll need our best to protect Brees.

- For us, I expect us to play a similar game like we had with the Falcons offensively. Hopefully we see a heavy dose of Kamara/Murray, with a quick and short passing game. That front seven can wreck havoc, and I think with our lack of stud receivers other than MT, we won't risk putting Brees in too much turmoil. Key here, again, is our receivers not dropping passes. Cook (x2) and Ginn dropped 2 TDs, and if they do that against this team we'll lose.

- Defensively, the key is really the secondary. Our run D has been stout all season. While the 49ers have a good stable of capable RBs, I'm sure we can handle them. The problem is the secondary. From about week 2 to around the BYE, our secondary played lock down. Since the BYE, it felt like the secondary of past seasons. I suspect we'll see Lattimore on Deebo Samuel due to his quickness, and Apple on Sanders with safety help. Apple really needs to bounce back and not commit PI. The big question mark is who is on Kittle. My initial thought is Bell in bracket coverage with a LB, but I wouldn't be surprised if we try someone like CGJ/PJ Williams on him. Our front 7 really has to put pressure on Jimmy G on every drop back. I suspect we'll see a lot more 5-6 man blitzes to see if we can disrupt his rhythm.

- Special teams giveth and special teams taketh away. Swear to god if we give up another onside kick again, I'll punch a baby. There has been something like 5 successful onside kicks this season and 3 have connected against us. It is a piss poor effort with no excuse to be so poor at it. Also find someone who will jump on the damn ball. Kamara made a few 'business decisions' last week and it cost us. Hell put Taysom in there.

- Penalties, penalties, penalties. Last 2 weeks have had 2 punches. A few pass interference calls too. Big reason why we can't put teams away is we extend their drives. Stop making dumb plays and we'll be much better off. Going into the BYE we were a disciplined team, and now  we're amongst the least disciplined team. It's a fixable issue, but if we keep shooting ourselves in the foot, we'll eventually hit a major artery and bleed out. Essentially it'll cost us. Stop screwing around.

- I'll rip my hair out if I see more prevent D nonsense. I hate it.

Prediction:

With this being played in the dome, I think the Saints will prevail in a tough close game. The Dome needs to be loud to help too.

Saints win 24-21.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

What's the status on your offensive line? Armstead and Peat out? 

Peat is a 100% out, Armstead is a ? He was given somewhere between 2-3 weeks out, but he was on the sideline in the Atlanta game and the announcers said he could maybe play against you guys. We'll see. Nick Easton has stepped up and filled in for Peat well enough.

2 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Peat is a 100% out, Armstead is a ? He was given somewhere between 2-3 weeks out, but he was on the sideline in the Atlanta game and the announcers said he could maybe play against you guys. We'll see. Nick Easton has stepped up and filled in for Peat well enough.

I feel like the trenches are such a huge deal in this game. Both defensive lines are so good. Both offensive lines good. Bosa v Ramczyk is going to be a joy to watch. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Absolutely. How has your O-line been this season?

Hurt lol. 

But no, seriously. The interior is like above average. They won't wow you, but they get the job done. Very competent more than anything. Don't commit a ton of penalties, offer good but not always great protection. They can get overrun in short yardage situations, and can struggle with big, strong guys.

I am not sure what Staley's status will be for the game and I'm not sure what to make of him even if he does play. He was miserable in preseason, looked okay to start the season, got hurt, came back for the Seahawks game and was absolutely brutal. Arguably the worst game I have ever seen him play. McG struggled in pass pro for a chunk of the season between getting hurt, but has looked much better the last two weeks. Always a ferocious run blocker which is more or less what he is known for. Daniel Brunskill is the guy that would take over for Staley if he can't go, and 49ers fans are very excited about him at this point. At first, we were just kind of like, whatever, he's just a random AAF dude. But he's been huge. Hasn't committed a penalty all year. I don't believe he's given up a sack, and he has only allowed a few pressures. It's at the point now where we are paying attention to him to see if there is a legitimate possibility that we let Staley go in the off season and move to Brunskill, which is why it woudln't be the worst thing to have Staley miss this game, to see what we actually have there against a good defensive line. 

So it's mostly an above average line. Definitely not a detriment or bad, but probably not like a top 5 unit. Jimmy G helps with his release. 

• Like 4

On 12/3/2019 at 1:03 PM, Forge said:

Hurt lol. 

But no, seriously. The interior is like above average. They won't wow you, but they get the job done. Very competent more than anything. Don't commit a ton of penalties, offer good but not always great protection. They can get overrun in short yardage situations, and can struggle with big, strong guys.

I am not sure what Staley's status will be for the game and I'm not sure what to make of him even if he does play. He was miserable in preseason, looked okay to start the season, got hurt, came back for the Seahawks game and was absolutely brutal. Arguably the worst game I have ever seen him play. McG struggled in pass pro for a chunk of the season between getting hurt, but has looked much better the last two weeks. Always a ferocious run blocker which is more or less what he is known for. Daniel Brunskill is the guy that would take over for Staley if he can't go, and 49ers fans are very excited about him at this point. At first, we were just kind of like, whatever, he's just a random AAF dude. But he's been huge. Hasn't committed a penalty all year. I don't believe he's given up a sack, and he has only allowed a few pressures. It's at the point now where we are paying attention to him to see if there is a legitimate possibility that we let Staley go in the off season and move to Brunskill, which is why it woudln't be the worst thing to have Staley miss this game, to see what we actually have there against a good defensive line. 

So it's mostly an above average line. Definitely not a detriment or bad, but probably not like a top 5 unit. Jimmy G helps with his release. 

According to Football Outsiders, this is how our two O-Lines stack up in pass protection:

Sack Rate: NO - 5.8% / SF - 6.3%  (League average: 7.3%)

Sacks Given Up: NO - 21 / SF - 24  (League average: 31)

Pass Protection Ranking: NO - 7th in NFL / SF - 9th in NFL

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

According to Football Outsiders, this is how our two O-Lines stack up in pass protection:

Sack Rate: NO - 5.8% / SF - 6.3%  (League average: 7.3%)

Sacks Given Up: NO - 21 / SF - 24  (League average: 31)

Pass Protection Ranking: NO - 7th in NFL / SF - 9th in NFL

Honestly sounds about right for the 49ers just based on an eye test. 

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly sounds about right for the 49ers just based on an eye test. 

Yep, two top 10 pass pro teams going against one another - should be good. 

For funsies, here's how they stack up against each other in pass rushing:

Sack Rate: NO - 8.2% / SF - 11.3%  (League average: 7.3%)

Sacks: NO - 40 / SF - 45  (League average: 31)

Pass Rush Ranking: NO - 7th in NFL / SF - 1st in NFL

• Like 1