Week 14 GDT: San Francisco 49ers(10-2) vs. New Orleans Saints (10-2): You come at the king, you best not miss

Canadian Saint

So a few things:

- We missed Cook after the concussion. He added that secondary target, and him out of the game hurt us.

- Payton's fake FG cost us. It turned the momentum and they scored.

- CGJ's second penalty on 3rd down was iffy at best. It was a crap call.

- Biggest cause for this loss? The secondary. Good lord the first half it seemed like we didn't prepare at all. Blown coverage after blown coverage. You adjusted in half time but it's ridiculous to think you can make up for it in the half. Eli Apple got abused and it's clear teams will target him. We went back to some poor habits. Shoulder tackles, biting on plays etc.

- Missed both Klein and Alonso. Robertson is a step behind and Davis can only do so much. Plays to the outside we were a step behind and that's due to LB depth.

- The good news is our offense came to play. Kamara played with fire, Brees had this best game of the season, and the O-line kept Brees upright. I'm not sure we abandoned the run, but that's a minor gripe.

I mean fair play to the 49ers because the better team won, but as a Saints fan that's frustrating. That game was there for the taking we blew it.

57 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Oh can we fire Rob Ryan already? I'm sick of his defense play calling. This team continues to blown coverages. We need to move on.

It doesn't feel like it's truly the Saints if we can't lose a few shootouts in the dome.

11 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

Defense has completely regressed since Drew got back. 

Eli Apple isn't the answer going forward. He looks like Eli Apple from the Giants.

This is what confuses me the most.  With Teddy at QB our defense was stout and it looked like Apple was playing himself into a contract that was outside of a price range.  Since the bye week our defense has been horrid and Apple very inconsistent.

1 minute ago, Raves said:

This is what confuses me the most.  With Teddy at QB our defense was stout and it looked like Apple was playing himself into a contract that was outside of a price range.  Since the bye week our defense has been horrid and Apple very inconsistent.

Defense had a good run, that is all.  They do what they've always done, start the season slow, get hot for a stretch, cool down at the end of the season.

We've always had a weakness in the secondary, I just think some teams can't exploit it like others can.  

Apple needs to pack his bags, and the entire defense needs to knock off the idiotic tackling. Who in their right mind thinks they can take down George Kittle bye his shoulder pads? Why can't these guys go for the hip or the legs?

Once again, five of the front seven played an outstanding game, and half or two-thirds of the secondary absolutely blew it for everybody else.

Pathetic!

I do think everything can be fixed. But I'm not sure what's going on in Apple's head. Is he going through a divorce, or did he just score some new chick, or what? I just don't get it.

53 minutes ago, Raves said:

I'm going to argue it's mostly mental. More specifically complacency. My biggest argument was the difference in halves of this game. Yes the coaches adjusted, but the secondary had much tighter coverage the second half. Yes they gave up plays, but it was fewer than we expect. Our D-line has been consistently good, but the secondary looked lazy. Terrible coverage and angles, and the thing that drives me insane, horrible tackling. Shoulder tackles, arm tackles, just lazy defense.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

When is the last time a team scored 46 at home and lost?  We scored 40 and lost last year, but I honestly can't think of another game.

We beat the Giants 52-49, but that was a Dome game.

They said this was the most points the Saints had ever scored in a loss.

19 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

When is the last time a team scored 46 at home and lost?  We scored 40 and lost last year, but I honestly can't think of another game.

Chiefs hung 51 points on the Rams last year in a loss. 

Kinda bugs me how we're actually at risk of not even taking #2 with Green Bay right there, but I don't see that happening. If the Saints are playing on wildcard weekend I'm going to be furious. On the bright side, Brees is 3 passing touchdowns away from passing Peyton Manning for most all time I think. He can still carry this team if he has to.

• Like 1