An Early Look at 2020 Free Agency

Brit Pack

14 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

good pass catcher, always been in a logjam at his position, coming in as a 2nd/3rd back.  better rock toter than jamaal williams, better athlete than jamaal williams, tbd pass blocker don't know much about that.

give me more guys who can play ball right away.  take some uncertainty out of the depth on the team. DW is a big ? so let him compete with a known quantity and probably end up without a job.

There is literally nothing Booker does better than Williams save for ride the pine.

We can get a far better RB3 in the draft than Booker. He's deep on the bench buried behind a UDFA and a mid rounder who both unseated him as he was previously ahead of them on the DC.

• Like 1

Just now, skibrett15 said:

keeping ervin and using him more on offense makes a lot of sense to me as well.  I just want some more established RBs in the room if we are gonna run the ball as much as last year.

Also move Jamaal Williams to fullback.

Theres zero measurement to prove Booker is better than Jamaal as a runner, pass catching Jamaal is just as good if not better. The only difference is Jamaal doesnt fumble.

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

Theres zero measurement to prove Booker is better than Jamaal as a runner, pass catching Jamaal is just as good if not better. The only difference is Jamaal doesnt fumble.

the context is jamaal plays behind an all pro line and booker played with an awful offense and awful OL.

the guy is on the scrap heap, no one is claiming he's spectacular.  he's in a group for me with guys like kenneth dixon and a few others.  They are guys who haven't gotten a fair shake and that I recall being effective when they did see the field.  Had no idea about the fumbles.  Fumbles as a rookie I tend to just dismiss as adaptation to the game.

there's nothing positive whatsoever that anyone can say about dexter williams.  It's pure conjecture.

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

the context is jamaal plays behind an all pro line and booker played with an awful offense and awful OL.

the guy is on the scrap heap, no one is claiming he's spectacular.  he's in a group for me with guys like kenneth dixon and a few others.  They are guys who haven't gotten a fair shake and that I recall being effective when they did see the field.  Had no idea about the fumbles.  Fumbles as a rookie I tend to just dismiss as adaptation to the game.

there's nothing positive whatsoever that anyone can say about dexter williams.  It's pure conjecture.

Kubiak runs out awful lines constantly and gets his RBs to produce. I just dont think there should be much time allocated to a guy who doesnt secure the ball or isnt at least special as an athlete.

sign kareem hunt

sign jordan howard

sign kenyan drake

realistically we may be out-bid on many of the WR UFAs, and I think dipping into a 2nd RB who can be highly productive helps with Jones' contract and it helps take the load off him without sacrificing as much when compared to what Williams does with the ball.

Edited by skibrett15
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Rather just role with DW and some other young bro they wanna bring in. Booker will be 28 this year and hasnt exactly shown to he a reliable rock toter. Broncos drafted more young guys because he couldnt keep it in his hands when given opportunity. Its not like Booker is a phenomenal athlete either. 

Have a Booker, it don't cost nothin 

But you can honestly still do all those things. Shouldn't be crap in guaranteed that matters. I'm not advocating it by any means, it's just the type of flier I might do.

10 minutes ago, Norm said:

Have a Booker, it don't cost nothin 

But you can honestly still do all those things. Shouldn't be crap in guaranteed that matters. I'm not advocating it by any means, it's just the type of flier I might do.

I get why someone would take that chance i suppose, but a signing like Darrin Hall gets me more excited than Booker for long shot options. Thats probably a me problem though.

I dont see a reason to sign a RB in FA unless it is a team friendly deal...like a Dion Lewis type of Signing. Feel the same way about WR> Feel like Sharpe from Tennessee would be a good fit as a Vet add, but target the Draft for WR and RB. 

Free Agency will really be interesting for GB, because it has such a direct impact on the Draft. Sign a guy like Special K at ILB and then you can wait for a day two or early day 3 guy. Sign a Hooper and then the focus can be on WR and OT. Sign Bulaga and wait til day 2 or 3 of OL.

Lots of direction Gute can go...Hoping they sign a Vet OT (Bulaga or Veldheer), Hooper, and a Vet WR....low cost like Sharpe.

4 hours ago, Pilprin said:

I dont see a reason to sign a RB in FA unless it is a team friendly deal...like a Dion Lewis type of Signing. Feel the same way about WR> Feel like Sharpe from Tennessee would be a good fit as a Vet add, but target the Draft for WR and RB. 

Even then, there really isn't a reason to sign a FA RB.  They'll be behind Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams on the bench, and they'll take up more money than a DP.

• Like 3

Has anybody actually watched Jordan Phillips?  By all accounts other than his sack total he is not a good DL.  Do we have an Erik Walden 2016 situation where he just completely sold out for sacks in a contract year? 

I'm legitimately asking.  Trying to get to the bottom of his bad PFF score.  I'll go ask Bills fans. 

On 3/6/2020 at 4:54 PM, skibrett15 said:

keeping ervin and using him more on offense makes a lot of sense to me as well.  I just want some more established RBs in the room if we are gonna run the ball as much as last year.

Also move Jamaal Williams to fullback.

Why?

I want to like the idea of testing FA for RB's but we have so many more greater needs on this team that it just isn't worth it TBH. I still contend that we Buy some Defense, Buy a WR if the price is right, Draft both.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Has anybody actually watched Jordan Phillips?  By all accounts other than his sack total he is not a good DL.  Do we have an Erik Walden 2016 situation where he just completely sold out for sacks in a contract year? 

I'm legitimately asking.  Trying to get to the bottom of his bad PFF score.  I'll go ask Bills fans. 

I have not. However, I do have a buddy who is a Bills fan and this is what he told me when I asked "Phillips is a very energetic player but a good portion of his sacks didnt come from him beating his guy and getting to the QB rather then right place, Right time when a quarterback took off and practically ran into him. The sack total is inflated. For a big hes not the guy you want in there to stop the run. Downhill is not his strong suit period."

He then basically went on to say $9-10 mil a year would be too rich for them. Everything he said pretty much lines up, the pressure rate and sack total flat out isnt sustainable. Not to mention, he's doing a fine job on twitter of trying to convince everyone hes a top 3 DT based off last years stats. I think he's the type of Free Agent who is gonna price himself out of the market and be waiting awhile fir reality to set in for him or find one team willing to be a sucker and buy into his sack total. 

I will say that he did say Phillips seemed to be a great teammate and really provided a level of energy to their DL and teammates. 

Edited by Nick_gb
  • Like 3

I watched the Packers-Panthers game last night with an eye on DL Gerald McCoy. Dude made some plays, both in the run game and in the pass game.
He would have had a sack for a Safety but the Refs ruled ( incorrectly) that he landed on AR. Then at the end of the first half, the Packers went for it from the 2 yard line with 2 seconds left, eschewing the gimme FG. GB tried a hand-off and Gerald McCoy beat Bakh inside for a stuff and a 3 yard loss....end of half.

I think he'd fit what GB is after on the DL and his cost will be below the top tier DLs in FA

usatsi_13347319.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

• Like 3