An Early Look at 2020 Free Agency

Brit Pack

34 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

If KC would be willing to trade Chris Jones and he’d agree to an extension before the deal is finalized, what would you give up? 30 and a future 2nd seems fair to me. 

30 by itself is good enough to offer.  The big dude DL that KC traded to SF got them a 2nd. How much does he want to get paid?!

6 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

30 by itself is good enough to offer.  The big dude DL that KC traded to SF got them a 2nd. How much does he want to get paid?!

Apparently he's looking for around $20m/season.  I'd do it as long as we can still extend/re-sign Clark as well.  If all we had to give up was #30 then I don't know how they could say no to that, if they're willing and able to pay him.  I highly doubt we'd be the highest bidder though if all that's required is a 1st.

• Like 2

Just now, MaximusGluteus said:

Apparently he's looking for around $20m/season.  I'd do it as long as we can still extend/re-sign Clark as well.  If all we had to give up was #30 then I don't know how they could say no to that, if they're willing and able to pay him.  I highly doubt we'd be the highest bidder though if all that's required is a 1st.

I don't think they are trading him but the salary cap window may be saying something else.

3 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

If KC would be willing to trade Chris Jones and he’d agree to an extension before the deal is finalized, what would you give up? 30 and a future 2nd seems fair to me. 

Have we learned nothing from the Khalil Mack deal? Chris Jones is going to be in the 20 million range. I'd love to have him but the price is going to be ridiculous. If we get him it's either or with him or Kenny Clark. Not sure I want to give up a 1st or more and not be able to keep Clark when his rookie deal is done. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Have we learned nothing from the Khalil Mack deal? Chris Jones is going to be in the 20 million range. I'd love to have him but the price is going to be ridiculous. If we get him it's either or with him or Kenny Clark. Not sure I want to give up a 1st or more and not be able to keep Clark when his rookie deal is done. 

Agree, nice to have but going to cost way to much.

Trading for someone signed to a big deal two years ago or something = okay.

Trading for somebody AND having to sign them to a big deal = never okay.

You don’t lose that draft capital and that cap space and expect to compete.  Certainly not while you’re paying a 38-year-old QB 36 million dollars a year from now.  

Trading for Jones would be a terrible idea.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Trading for someone signed to a big deal two years ago or something = okay.

Trading for somebody AND having to sign them to a big deal = never okay.

You don’t lose that draft capital and that cap space and expect to compete.  Certainly not while you’re paying a 38-year-old QB 36 million dollars a year from now.  

Trading for Jones would be a terrible idea.

Agree, there is better ways to spend dollars and draft capital.

• 4 weeks later...

the 4th wave of Free Agency is approaching.
There are a fair number of vets who are looking to secure work before the draft and teams are plugging holes too
The question is: under the new restrictions, how hard is it to sell your house and move to a new city -  especially for a 1 year deal ?

On 4/8/2020 at 11:16 PM, Shanedorf said:

the 4th wave of Free Agency is approaching.
There are a fair number of vets who are looking to secure work before the draft and teams are plugging holes too
The question is: under the new restrictions, how hard is it to sell your house and move to a new city -  especially for a 1 year deal ?

Team facilities are closed so no one is moving until those open up anyway. I don't think that's really an impact. A lot of players rent a place for the season as well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Build your own team with the available vets

I went 5 deep using the free agent tracker from roto, but some of these guys may have signed.

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/free-agency-update/2020-nfl-free-agent-tracker-0?page=0

QB:  Cam, Jameis, Josh, Joe, Blake
RB:   Devonta Freeman, Carlos Hyde, Lamar Miller, CJ Procise, Ty Mont
WR:  AJ Green  (tagged) Rashard Higgins, Taylor Gabriel, Josh Gordon, Tavon Austin
TE:  Jordan Reed, Delanie Walker, Trey Burton, Geoff Swaim, Ed Dickson
OT:  Jason Peters, Cordy Glenn, Kelvin Beachum, Demar Dotson, Cameron Irvin
IOL: Josh Kline, Kelechi Osmele, Michael Schofield, Ron Leary, Ryan Kalil

EDGE: Clowney, Yannick, Everson Griffin, Jabaal Sheard, Cameron Wake, Marcus Golden, Clay Matthews
IDL: Damon Harrison, Marcell Dareus, Chris Covenington, Brandon Mebane, Xavier Williams
ILB:  Nigel Bradham, Alec Ogletree, Wesley Woodyard, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
CB: Logan Ryan, Darqueze Dennard, Aqib Talib, Dre Kirkpatirck, Eli Apple,Prince Amukamara, Trumaine J
S:  Tony Jefferson, Rashad Jones, Montae Nicholson, Eric Reid, Tedric Thompson

On 3/14/2020 at 1:58 PM, MaximusGluteus said:

According to CPA Ken Ingalls, the Packers are about $11 million under the salary cap but are also currently estimated to finish about $1.65 million in the negative in terms of spendable cap space ...

so where does the money come from?

4 hours ago, gizmo2012 said:

According to CPA Ken Ingalls, the Packers are about $11 million under the salary cap but are also currently estimated to finish about $1.65 million in the negative in terms of spendable cap space ...

I wrote that over a month ago, and besides, I very clearly said IF we can keep Clark and IF they'd be able to pay Jones, but thanks for raising the dead.

Edited by MaximusGluteus

2 hours ago, gizmo2012 said:

He's already subtracting a 7.5 million dollar rollover for 2020. 

He shouldn't be doing that. Teams roll over less than that all the time. Just because the Packers haven't done so in the past, doesn't mean they won't this year.