GDT Week 14: Denver Broncos @ Houston Texans: Drewcember continues!

iLikeDefense

Week 14 brings us a showdown between a mediocre (to put it nicely) team vs a heavy hitter. Houston just handed the Patriots and Tom Brady their 2nd loss of the year. While Denver barely squeaked by a dysfunctional Charger team.

After a dazzling first half in Week 13, Lock and the Broncos need to show more. Will Scang allow Lock to air it out or will he play it safe and “protect” Lock? Who will step up for Wolfe? Will the young guys makes plays
Or will they continue to be duds?

Have at it.

Edited by iLikeDefense
  • Like 2

Shouldn’t it be “Drewcember continues, eh?” 
😂

All kidding aside, and much as I hate Patriot Way copy-cats, Houston is legit. That being said, we should remember it was Rick Smith, not Bill O’Brein (who was willing to take over at child moltester U before taking the Houston job) who built their roster. When Bob McNair passed away BOB won the power struggle so, as have all BB assistants, the Texans will likely return to laughing stock status within a season or two. But this week, they will be tough to deal with. 

The key is not allowing Watson to extend plays, if he is afforded that opportunity he burns you, with his arm or his legs. 

We can’t do that. We don’t have the scheme or the talent or the coaching to do so. 

What makes this week’s game interesting is how Lock can respond to the litany of looks that Romeo will put out there. How he can handle that will tell about his development as a potential franchise QB. 

Houston: 27

Denver: 16

• Like 2

The secondary was playing clean football for a while but since the bye, they've been burned by big plays far too often. That cannot happen against Houston, who thrive on the deep ball. Limit the big plays and you can stay in the game. But good luck shutting down a Watson/Hopkins/Fuller/Stills vertical attack for too long.

AAA's score looks about right. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

The secondary was playing clean football for a while but since the bye, they've been burned by big plays far too often. That cannot happen against Houston, who thrive on the deep ball. Limit the big plays and you can stay in the game. But good luck shutting down a Watson/Hopkins/Fuller/Stills vertical attack for too long.

AAA's score looks about right. 

It feels optimistic...perhaps Houston will overlook us and we'll play above our capability.

Edited by The Helicopter

3 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

It feels optimistic...perhaps Houston will overlook us and we'll play above our capability.

Well, we already seem to play above our ability almost every week. As  far as Houston overlooking us thats a definite maybe. The 3 games after that they play the Titans twice, probably for the AFC South Title.

It certainly has all the makings of a trap game. I can't see us winning but I'll bet we scare 'em a bit before it's over. 

• Like 1

This game will be much closer than it should be for a while.. But in the end, a poor o-line coupled with scared playcalling and a defense thats proven vulnerable to the no huddle will doom us yet again. 

Houston 31

Denver 20

Lock goes 21-30 for 200 yards. 1 td 1 int. 

One of the big keys of the game will be to contain the outside to prevent Watson out of the pocket and create the game. ILB will be supported by safeties to prevent the slot and short passes. Force the QB to wait until the WRs are open.

A lot of pressure on the DE and OLB but without that the Houston attack will be unstoppable.

6 hours ago, French Fan said:

One of the big keys of the game will be to contain the outside to prevent Watson out of the pocket and create the game. ILB will be supported by safeties to prevent the slot and short passes. Force the QB to wait until the WRs are open.

A lot of pressure on the DE and OLB but without that the Houston attack will be unstoppable.

I'm fine getting slaughtered - just don't want to see Lock get injured.

• Like 1

on one of the threads the other week we mentioned teams who were a threat to the broncos - like maybe the broncos are the real threat to the broncos ala Ellis and Elway and 20k not attending.  Baltimore was mentioned as was KC and we poo pooed NEP and rightfully so - again the NEP have nowhere come close to their reputation if it was not for that pathetic division which has been incredibly pathetic since virtually 2000 on.  Anyway my point is no one mentioned Houston and I think they should have been mentioned as an AFC power.  I mean you have to throw in Watson with the likes of Wilson, Mahomes and Jackson even though there showing against Baltimore was pathetic.  if this team had a good coach they would really be something but yeah look at what tree O'Brien comes from - the overhyped much like the NEP - futility tree!!     i dont know where that line came from either - threats to the broncos - like we are even close - cant see us winning this one

A lack of closing speed at ILB scares me with regards to Watson taking off, just like it did with Josh Allen which proved to be a big difference in the game.

It will be interesting to see how the Texans attack us, but I expect play action with shot plays to Will Fuller (who we matchup terribly against).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Counselor said:

So seems the conservative side came from Scang last game as he wanted to take a knee at the end of the game and Uncle Vic said no and they threw the ball that got the PI. 

Fangio came out and said that Scangs asked him if he wanted to take a knee - not that than Scangs told Lock to take a knee.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Fangio came out and said that Scangs asked him if he wanted to take a knee - not that than Scangs told Lock to take a knee.

Honestly, that whole piece sounds like it got overblown.   The HC routinely gets asked that kind of stuff - punt vs. go on 4th and 2 from 40+, 1 pt vs. 2 pt conversion, etc.    Mountain out of a mole hill IMO.

• Like 2