GDT Week 14: Denver Broncos @ Houston Texans: Drewcember continues!

iLikeDefense

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I should have added to my initial post-game comments that I hated Lock's antics on the Texans sideline after he ran for a 1st down. I am all for confidence but that is stupid. You're on the 50 yard line - get back to the huddle and call the next play.

He's never been there before ... go off kid!!!!!! 

• Like 3

Feels good right now, guys. Lately it has almost felt like a chore to watch some games, but yesterday I was downright excited for the game. It has been a while since we've been able to feel this way, and I feel hopeful that Lock and the other young guys can continue to develop into a great core of the franchise.

I want to win the final 3 games of the year. Two weeks ago I would have said the exact opposite. Draft position be damned, this is fun.

Elway4president. Jk...unless?

Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, a few points to consider:

-HOU's pass D before they played DEN by DVOA - 25th out of 32.  Yes, that bad.

-Specifically, where they suffer - bad safety play.   That showed up in spades with Fant.

Now, again - for any rookie QB to succeed as Lock did, is noteworthy.  But before we go crowning this as a lock (yes I'll keep going there), we've seen this before with hot start rookie QB's - who then regress in a huge way.   The key bias element is how HOU's D dominated NE the week before - but we've now seen that NE's O is in REAL trouble.     Rather than see HOU as a formidable pass D, I think the more likley conclusion is that NE's O is really, really, really in trouble.   Again, doesn't take away from an impressive rookie game at all - it's just not likely the elite pass D that ppl thought HOU was turning into.

Still, don't take as me dismissing Lock's play yesterday - we just need to understand the context.   D's are going to really pay attention to what Lock does well, and where he gets exploited.   DET & OAK's D, though, aren't that good at all.  I'd hope to see more progress with successful games on O then.    Playing at KC should be an excellent test, while KC isn't a great D - they are a great frontrunner D.  Give them a lead, they cover up their weaknesses really well.  We saw that with a journeyman backup QB at the helm (Matt Moore) vs. us before.  

Again, what the above also reinforces - Scangarelli is making great progress as an OC.   He knew exactly where to exploit the HOU D.   This was the first time that the early success was sustained.   Was it a fluke, or will it continue?  If it's a fluke, then it means Scangarelli still needs to work on in-game adjustments.   If it's sustained (or better yet, if the 2H O production increases dramatically after a slow start), then we're seeing signs of Scangarelli growth as an OC.

On that note - @iLikeDefense - you are up for a 3rd straight week!   Heady times.

Edited by Broncofan

I think what @Broncofan says is 100% valid and should be considered. I think everyone in this forum knows that what happened yesterday won’t likely be repeated this week in KC. There was an awful lot that went right yesterday. 

That being said, the good that happened yesterday - from what the casual fan to the most advanced analytics guy saw - went such a long way in helping us have a measure of hope for a bright future. Lock had a 3 TD half, he will probably have a 3 INT half at some point. But he had a good game and that’s what really counts.

What happened yesterday is that we all got hope. We haven’t had that since 2016. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Still think the Texans played like complete crap. 

That’s fine, often the case in a league of binary outcomes. Still pulling teeth to get a single compliment. 

I just find it interesting that you spent the entire game in NFL Gen putting down our players and giving no credit to anyone. Lindsay sucks, Lock sucks, the refs put money on Denver, this is all about the Texans being bad. Hard to believe blowing a division leader out could be such a joyless experience for any fan. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

That’s fine, often the case in a league of binary outcomes. Still pulling teeth to get a single compliment. 

I just find it interesting that you spent the entire game in NFL Gen putting down our players and giving no credit to anyone. Lindsay sucks, Lock sucks, the refs put money on Denver, this is all about the Texans being bad. Hard to believe blowing a division leader out could be such a joyless experience for any fan. 

Closet Raider fan

Edited by Cutler06

I think Simmons, without a doubt, should get a nice payday.  I read somewhere that he is rated the 2nd best safety in the league right now.  And for the team, he seems like a bonafide captain.  If CHJ is serious about retiring a Bronco, then he needs to stay and provide some mentorship to the CB that the Broncos draft because we have to select one, right?  Because as fresh as it may seem to have the youngest team in the league, they do need some sprinkling of veteran presence in the locker room.  

• Like 1