TheKillerNacho

Panthers fire HC Ron Rivera; secondary coach Perry Fewell named interim HC

I'm not surprised he was fired (0 back-to-back winning seasons in 9), but I didn't expect it before the season was over

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

I'm really surprised they're doing this midseason.

Also Perry Fewell? Why?

The fan base was giving up on the team.  We are way too talented to have been getting destroyed by weak teams and losing to the Redskins at home when your team is 10x as talented is all coaching.  

Tepper wants a new stadium and a consistent team.  He had to fire Rivera to cleanse the air as soon as possible.  Now there’s hope long term 

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

The fan base was giving up on the team.  We are way too talented to have been getting destroyed by weak teams and losing to the Redskins at home when your team is 10x as talented is all coaching.  

Tepper wants a new stadium and a consistent team.  He had to fire Rivera to cleanse the air as soon as possible.  Now there’s hope long term 

but why midseason?

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

but why midseason?

Why wait?  IMO firing a coach mid season isn’t as bad as people make it seem.  I think it helps both sides.  We can start doing our research as soon as possible.  I think it’s more disrespectful to do that while Rivera is still here.  Go ahead and let him start planning out his future too.  Packers did the same thing with McCarthy.  No head coach wants to coach knowing they are 100% fired 

Was heartbroken when he left Chicago lol. Hope he catches on somewhere else 

7 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'm really surprised they're doing this midseason

He was probably overheard saying “what are they gonna do, fire me?”

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

but why midseason?

If you're convinced that Rivera isn't the solution moving forward, why not? Might as well get a look at anyone else while you start piling up names for the offseason.

My biggest thing is that Rivera has been managing a broken down Cam Newton and now Kyle Allen for probably 2-3 years now and getting arguably good results from that situation. The Panthers have won 5 games this season with a backup QB who has been up-and-down as a player. 

Maybe I don't know enough about Carolina's situation, but this firing seems strange to me. I wonder if they'll target someone like Urban Meyer or Nick Saban or even Lincoln Reily.

Also of note: Norv Turner has been "re-assigned" to "special assistant to the HC". QB coach Scott Turner is now offensive coordinator.

Could this mean Grier will finally get to play?