Panthers fire HC Ron Rivera; secondary coach Perry Fewell named interim HC

TheKillerNacho

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Frankly I don't know what they expected starting Kyle Allen at QB.

Panthers being 5-7 is actually somewhat impressive.

3 winning seasons in 9 years, 0 back to back 

This isn’t a one season situation.  And our defense despite numerous first round picks is bottom five in the league.  For as bad as Allen is, he’s probably not even a top 3 issue with this team. 

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Frankly I don't know what they expected starting Kyle Allen at QB.

Panthers being 5-7 is actually somewhat impressive.

5-7 is impressive even when starting Cam Newton at QB. 

That team plateaued a couple of years ago and has actually receded quite dramatically after the SB appearance.  

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If you're convinced that Rivera isn't the solution moving forward, why not? Might as well get a look at anyone else while you start piling up names for the offseason.

My biggest thing is that Rivera has been managing a broken down Cam Newton and now Kyle Allen for probably 2-3 years now and getting arguably good results from that situation. The Panthers have won 5 games this season with a backup QB who has been up-and-down as a player. 

Maybe I don't know enough about Carolina's situation, but this firing seems strange to me. I wonder if they'll target someone like Urban Meyer or Nick Saban or even Lincoln Reily.

We have by far the worst run defense and a bottom five overall defense.  It would be one thing if the team was bad solely because of QB issues, but that isn’t the case.  Offensive line sucks too

Rivera isn’t a bad coach but his time here has long been winding down.  

Just now, iknowcool said:

We have by far the worst run defense and a bottom five overall defense.  It would be one thing if the team was bad solely because of QB issues, but that isn’t the case.  Offensive line sucks too

Rivera isn’t a bad coach but his time here has long been winding down.  

Wouldn't that be more of a DC thing than a HC thing? I also can't remember if Rivera is defensive-orientated or not.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Wouldn't that be more of a DC thing than a HC thing? I also can't remember if Rivera is defensive-orientated or not.

Rivera was a defensive player in the NFL, so yes.  

He's always been an okay coach, but not necessarily spectacular.  

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Rivera is the DC.  Took over play calling this offseason and somehow made our defense 5x worse, which is saying something lol

6 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Why wait?  IMO firing a coach mid season isn’t as bad as people make it seem.  I think it helps both sides.  We can start doing our research as soon as possible.  I think it’s more disrespectful to do that while Rivera is still here.  Go ahead and let him start planning out his future too.  Packers did the same thing with McCarthy.  No head coach wants to coach knowing they are 100% fired 

The numbers on mid-season firings is actually really, really bad. Like, really bad, for several seasons afterwards. If I cared more, I'd drag up the numbers on it but, literally no team this century has gone on to have success after doing it. Packers may be a rare exception to this (I feel they're overperforming by a large degree this year) but they have a HOF QB.

The two main reasons to do this would be:

1. You want to see how someone already on your staff that you're considering to be your next HC handles being the interim HC. I think it's safe to say Perry Fewell isn't the answer.

2. You believe that the coach is doing developmental harm to your younger players and need to get him away ASAP. I don't think this fits Ron... 5-7 isn't bad given the hand he was dealt this year.

There's a very clear negatives with it as well:

1. Coaching candidates are turned off by the perceived lack of stability

2. All the players know they're in a lame duck year and may give up, which may harm progression or their willingness to resign.

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

Rivera was a defensive player in the NFL, so yes.  

He's always been an okay coach, but not necessarily spectacular.  

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

Rivera is the DC.  Took over play calling this offseason and somehow made our defense 5x worse, which is saying something lol

Gotcha - yeah I thought he was defensive orientated but it's been a while. That makes sense then! Thanks guys

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

The numbers on mid-season firings is actually really, really bad. Like, really bad, for several seasons to come. If I cared more, I'd drag up the numbers on it but, literally no team this century has gone on to have success after doing it. Packers may be a rare exception to this (I feel they're overperforming by a large degree this year) but they have a HOF QB.

The two main reasons to do this would be:

1. You want to see how someone already on your staff that you're considering to be your next HC handles being the interim HC. I think it's safe to say Perry Fewell isn't the answer.

2. You believe that the coach is doing developmental harm to your younger players and need to get him away ASAP. I don't think this fits Ron... 5-7 isn't bad given the hand he was dealt this year.

There's a very clear negatives with it as well:

1. Coaching candidates are turned off by the perceived lack of stability

2. All the players know they're in a lame duck year and may give up, which may harm progression or their willingness to resign.

Lack of stability? Rivera’s been here for 9 years.  If anything Tepper should have fired him last year for missing playoffs after starting 6-2

I seriously doubt there’s a correlation between future success and whether you fired a coach mid season or not.  The reason the results likely don’t look good is because most of the teams that were firing their coaches midseason were terribly ran... Redskins, Browns, Raiders

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Lack of stability? Rivera’s been here for 9 years.

I seriously doubt there’s a correlation between future success and whether you fired a coach mid season or not.  The reason the results likely don’t look good is because most of the teams that were firing their coaches midseason were terribly ran... Redskins, Browns, Raiders

David Tepper has owned the team for just over a year and already fired a coach midseason.

Just now, iknowcool said:

Lack of stability? Rivera’s been here for 9 years.

My opinion is that, as soon as you know you're not bringing the head coach back, you let him go at the most reasonable time, because it does no one any good to just keep them twisting in the wind.  The Panthers already weren't going to win the division, and they're pretty much out of the WC race (3 games back with only 4 to play), so this was the most reasonable time to let him go.