Panthers fire HC Ron Rivera; secondary coach Perry Fewell named interim HC

TheKillerNacho

1 minute ago, dtait93 said:

I think he would be a good candidate to replace Marrone if Jacksonville were to fire him

Think he'll be a top candidate.

I'd prefer a young offensive mind but Rivera's a proven winner. He's had his ups and downs as this thread states but I'd be cool with him.

5 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

To add: 

This is more than a Rivera thing.  Everyone is gone.  We are cleaning out are scouting department and Hurney will likely be fired soon too

Its a new era and Tepper will be bringing in his team. I’m excited!

I have a package deal for you:

You give me Christian McCaffery... I'll give you Bill O'Brien AND William O'Brien. That's a coach and a GM! Who doesn't want that?

You can send McCaffery to a Taco Cabana over here, I'll find him and get him to NRG.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I have a package deal for you:

You give me Christian McCaffery... I'll give you Bill O'Brien AND William O'Brien. That's a coach and a GM! Who doesn't want that?

You can send McCaffery to a Taco Cabana over here, I'll find him and get him to NRG.

What about William Preston Esquire O' Brien the 3rd? Whats it cost for him? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

David Tepper has owned the team for just over a year and already fired a coach midseason.

Please explain to me the benefits of waiting to the end of the season, and also show me the correlation between long-term success and the timing of when you fired your HC. 

You are acting like coaches are suddenly gonna view the Panthers as some volatile team.  You do realize he had every reason to fire him after finishing a season on a 1-7 run, right?  He gave him another chance and it led to losses at home against the Redskins

I just think you are overestimating the impact this will have. There’s no problem with firing a coach midseason, especially one with 3 (!!) winning seasons in 9 years. 

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

Please explain to me the benefits of waiting to the end of the season, and also show me the correlation between long-term success and the timing of when you fired your HC. 

You are acting like coaches are suddenly gonna view the Panthers as some volatile team.  You do realize he had every reason to fire him after finishing a season on a 1-7 run, right?  He gave him another chance and it led to losses at home against the Redskins

I just think you are overestimating the impact this will have. There’s no problem with firing a coach midseason, especially one with 3 (!!) winning seasons in 9 years. 

Weve talked about this in the Cowboys forum. The biggest fault we could find was that it could mess with your coordinators. Like you guys just promoted your DB coach to HC. Is he really going to want to go back to DB coach for the Panthers? 

17 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Why wait?  IMO firing a coach mid season isn’t as bad as people make it seem.  I think it helps both sides.  We can start doing our research as soon as possible.  I think it’s more disrespectful to do that while Rivera is still here.  Go ahead and let him start planning out his future too.  Packers did the same thing with McCarthy.  No head coach wants to coach knowing they are 100% fired 

I agree, but the Packers got KILLED for it from many fronts last year. I totally agree with you though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I don't think it's as doom and gloom as the numbers suggest. But I do think it's better to wait until the season's end.

As for correlation... here's the article I found earlier since you couldn't be bothered to google it yourself:

https://toplevelsports.net/dont-fire-nfl-head-coaches-mid-season/

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Weve talked about this in the Cowboys forum. The biggest fault we could find was that it could mess with your coordinators. Like you guys just promoted your DB coach to HC. Is he really going to want to go back to DB coach for the Panthers? 

Everyone is getting fired. That’s why I’m saying, this is beyond Rivera.  It’s long been speculated Tepper will bring in his own staff and FO, and he was merely giving Rivera another opportunity.  Nothing changed, so we are cleaning house.  I’d be surprised to see any major name on the staff return, like Norv was already demoted off OC although I guess he’s “assistant HC” now.  Scouting department is being cleared out 

Thats why you couldn’t keep Rivera.  It was too obvious he was a goner

5 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I don't think it's as doom and gloom as the numbers suggest. But I do think it's better to wait until the season's end.

As for correlation... here's the article I found earlier since you couldn't be bothered to google it yourself:

https://toplevelsports.net/dont-fire-nfl-head-coaches-mid-season/

Dude, you were the one stating it as a fact. It’s not my responsibility to google it myself lol

And that says more about the coaches they hired than anything.  So yes if the Panthers hire a bad coach, we will do bad.  That doesn’t mean it had anything to do with when we fired Rivera.  Correlation /=/ causation.

EDIT - and that list is just about replacement coaches in-season.  What does that have to do with next year?  Panthers aren’t making playoffs this year so how we do hardly matters 

Edited by iknowcool

It needed to happen. The fanbase had lost faith in Rivera and Tepper listened / felt the same. Wouldn't shock me if Cam was on the way out too.

And I disagree that this makes the Panthers look unstable or volatile. Rivera was given this season to redeem himself, and he didn't. No sense in waiting around, give HC candidates a heads up in the final month of the regular season.