Dorsey

Kiwibrown

How you feeling about Dorsey?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Im on the dorsey train

2. 2. Dorsey vs Brown

3. 3. Dorsey does not know how to build around Baker

In no way am i advocating for the removal of John Dorsey. He has some obvious strengths. His team has done a job of identifying talent in the later parts of the draft, and gambling on character. 

He has done a reasonably good job with the top end of the draft as well, with one clear whiff, corbett. 

However, he does not know, or has not effectively built around Baker. Not only bakers strengths but also his play style. Baker has some speed, but really is not a super effective scrambler. He is an accurate on time qb, who does not thrive off schedule. Some guys like wilson and big ben are more dangerous when things go bad, other guys are better when things go to plan, baker, peyton manning, tom brady. Not that baker should be put in the same breathe as either of those two. 

This where we should not of traded for obj, we should of gone oline in the draft. We had a shakey, but effective online last year, we got rid of one peice, our tackle play has regressed and now our oline isnt performing. Furthemore, we should not of got obj because that is not who baker needed. Bakers team is built from the inside out, oline x2 tall tes, a recieving back, then a legit deep threat speed reciever to open that all up. 

Obj is not a burner, he is nfl fast, but not above that, which baker needs. 

Freddie also is not helping Baker out, this is a Sub set of the Dorsey issue imo, and an ongoing conversation we are in. That said for 2020 we need to build arpund Bakers strengths, weakness, and play style.

Edited by Kiwibrown

I’m still on the train

I would’ve rather kept Sashi

I do think he’s trying to build around Baker

his problems were

1.Corbett being a bust

2. The opportunity to get Odell presented itself when we really should’ve used those assets elsewhere. But bonafide HOF players don’t come around often so you had to pull the trigger

3. our weak schedule end of the season which made Freddie look like he knew what he was doing 

besides that he’s cool just really needs help evaluating Oline 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I don’t think Baker is all that great as a QB. At least in comparison to how some view him.

He needs the Dak Prescott treatment if we want him to have success.

If we had what dak had, especially oline we would be sitting pretty

Edited by Kiwibrown
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I don’t think Baker is all that great as a QB. At least in comparison to how some view him.

He needs the Dak Prescott treatment if we want him to have success.

I mean, maybe to some degree but Baker makes legit big **** throws every week.

He turns it over a bit, but it’s not like he’s fooled often.

Provided he progresses and continues to read defenses I think he’s absolutely going to be elite.

I think the Brees comp is legit.  Just give the man an OL and he’ll be fine.

• Like 1

Dorsey is an elite talent scout with blind spots.

His Blind spot scouting-wise is offensive lineman of all varieties and his willingness to draft high risk, high reward players that are unreliable.

Also blinded by the toughness and mentality of players in ways that seemingly distorts hi evaluation of their play traits. Corbett was tough as nails. Hand fighting; mean spirited highlights were delightful to watch.  However, It was as clear as the day is long that Austin Corbett wasn't a LT even clearer that he didn't have the feet or movement skills or blocking instincts to be a quality starter at OT and even OG. It was clear that Courtland Sutton was the far superior prospect.

Talent scouts aren't often elite at coaching searches/hires. 

OLine and Coaching Search.

In a wide-variety of other things, he's exceptional.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, maybe to some degree but Baker makes legit big **** throws every week.

He turns it over a bit, but it’s not like he’s fooled often.

Provided he progresses and continues to read defenses I think he’s absolutely going to be elite.

I think the Brees comp is legit.  Just give the man an OL and he’ll be fine.

Yeah these takes basically complaining that Baker isn't already looking like prime Drew Brees or something already are a bit ridiculous. He's been up and down, but lately we've seen far more good than bad from Baker. People seem to forget that he's had about 25 games under his belt and they act as though he's a finished product.

Anyway, Dorsey is one of the best GMs in the league. He's not perfect, but what GM is? My only concerns so far are his ability to acquire quality offensive linemen and he's had a history of not being great at managing the cap, but hopefully DePodesta will help him in that regard. Now that we have some former Green Bay executives in Wolf  and Highsmith, hopefully we'll be better at signing/drafting OL since Green Bay's front office has done a good job at that position group in past years. I think we didn't address the OL too much this past offseason for a couple of reasons: for one, you can only address so many needs in one offseason. And two, our OL was looking much better last year as the year progressed (although we all knew it was still a possible weakness heading into this year), so maybe Dorsey and the FO just didn't think OL was a top priority.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Dorsey is an elite talent scout with blind spots.

His Blind spot scouting-wise is offensive lineman of all varieties and his willingness to draft high risk, high reward players that are unreliable.

Also blinded by the toughness and mentality of players in ways that seemingly distorts hi evaluation of their play traits. Corbett was tough as nails. Hand fighting; mean spirited highlights were delightful to watch.  However, It was as clear as the day is long that Austin Corbett wasn't a LT even clearer that he didn't have the feet or movement skills or blocking instincts to be a quality starter at OT and even OG. It was clear that Courtland Sutton was the far superior prospect.

Talent scouts aren't often elite at coaching searches/hires. 

OLine and Coaching Search.

In a wide-variety of other things, he's exceptional.

I agree with most of this, but I don't think it's totally fair to say that Dorsey can't identify good coaches. I believe Reid was already on board when Dorsey was hired by KC, and then he was paired with Hue when he got here. Yes, he hired Kitchens, who the jury is still out on, but I don't totally blame him for making the hire even if Kitchens doesn't work out. We needed an offensive-minded HC to pair with Baker, and it would have been risky not hiring Kitchens after how much success our offense had with him. Most head coaches would have wanted to install their own offense and likely wouldn't have needed or wanted Freddie, so we would have been running a new offense that may or may not have worked out. If that hire - say Stefanski for example - would have worked out, then great. But we would all be irate if we had let Freddie go and our new HC was doing a terrible job.

If we fire Freddie and Dorsey's next coaching hire bombs, then that'd be a very fair point to say that Dorsey is bad at selecting good coaches. Until then, I think it's a bit of a premature thing to say.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Yeah these takes basically complaining that Baker isn't already looking like prime Drew Brees or something already are a bit ridiculous. He's been up and down, but lately we've seen far more good than bad from Baker. People seem to forget that he's had about 25 games under his belt and they act as though he's a finished product.

Anyway, Dorsey is one of the best GMs in the league. He's not perfect, but what GM is? My only concerns so far are his ability to acquire quality offensive linemen and he's had a history of not being great at managing the cap, but hopefully DePodesta will help him in that regard. Now that we have some former Green Bay executives in Wolf  and Highsmith, hopefully we'll be better at signing/drafting OL since Green Bay's front office has done a good job at that position group in past years. I think we didn't address the OL too much this past offseason for a couple of reasons: for one, you can only address so many needs in one offseason. And two, our OL was looking much better last year as the year progressed (although we all knew it was still a possible weakness heading into this year), so maybe Dorsey and the FO just didn't think OL was a top priority.

This

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I agree with most of this, but I don't think it's totally fair to say that Dorsey can't identify good coaches. I believe Reid was already on board when Dorsey was hired by KC, and then he was paired with Hue when he got here. Yes, he hired Kitchens, who the jury is still out on, but I don't totally blame him for making the hire even if Kitchens doesn't work out. We needed an offensive-minded HC to pair with Baker, and it would have been risky not hiring Kitchens after how much success our offense had with him. Most head coaches would have wanted to install their own offense and likely wouldn't have needed or wanted Freddie, so we would have been running a new offense that may or may not have worked out. If that hire - say Stefanski for example - would have worked out, then great. But we would all be irate if we had let Freddie go and our new HC was doing a terrible job.

If we fire Freddie and Dorsey's next coaching hire bombs, then that'd be a very fair point to say that Dorsey is bad at selecting good coaches. Until then, I think it's a bit of a premature thing to say.

This

• Like 2