BYU Dynasty - The Stormin' Mormons - Preseason, Year 1, 2031

Dome

FWIW I have recruiting set to the easiest setting to simulate the hype of Taysom Hill returning to BYU. I'm going to focus on Utah and Idaho recruits  (aka I'm gathering the Mormons) with these easier settings for a kick start. It might help me with all recruits across the board, but it's not my fault people love Taysom. I'll bump it up a notch each year from there until we hit the Heisman setting (unless hardest setting means impossible, then we'll go All-American)

11 hours ago, theJ said:

This thread is making me sad.  I can't play NCAA 05 because the Xbox is long dead.  Same with Madden 06.  I can't play NCAA08 because my XBOX 360 controllers are dead.  Same thing with Madden 08.

So last night i tried to boot up NFL 2k5, the best nfl sim all time, and it worked!  Except on my PS2 controller, R1 and L1 didn't work.  Which means you can't cycle between some menu's, which means i can't play it. :(

Somebody cry for me.

I got a 3rd party 360 controller at a goodwill for 3.99... they had like a half dozen of them

• Like 1

I've got a hard hitting safety with the last name Payne lol

Linebacker is strong - Secondary is solid - Defensive line is abysmal. 

Left End OVR YR
Pass Rusher - Balanced - Run Stopper
Z Wright (R) 79 Sr - R
D Washington (R) 69 So
R Johnson (R) 61 Fr
Right End OVR YR
S Hayden (B) 72 So
R Sims (R) 66 So - R
R Richard (B) 60 Fr
Defensive Tackle OVR YR
J Downing (R) 78 Jr
J McKenzie (R) 73 Sr
C Clark (R) 72 Jr - R
M Wells (P) 64 Sr
M Stewart 60 Fr
Left Outside Linebacker OVR YR
Coverage - Balanced - Run Stopper
B Thompson (C) 80 Sr
A Lamb (R) 67 Sr - R
J Davis (B) 60 Fr
Middle Linebacker OVR YR
D Patton (C) 85 Jr
R Luke (B) 81 Jr
J Davis (B) 75 So
J Thornburg (B) 54 Jr
Right Outside Linebacker OVR YR
R Lowe (R) 79 Sr - R
T Jones (R) 78 So
M Mitchell (R) 62 Jr
Cornerback OVR YR
Coverage - Balanced - Hard Hitter
M Jude (H) 80 Sr
I Hogan (C) 78 Jr - R
R Mitchell (B) 73 Jr
S Johnson (H) 66 Fr
E Phillips (B) 59 Fr - R
G Baker (H) 56 So
Free Safety OVR YR
A Payne (H) 83 Sr
C Jackson (B) 79 Sr - R
Strong Safety OVR YR
C Denman (H) 75 So - R
A Berry (H) 72 Jr - R
E McCollum 55 Sr
Punter OVR YR
Power - Balanced - Accurate
Ben Kelly (B) 82 Jr
  • Like 1

Looking at my offensive skill groups this morning so I have a better idea of what way to trend my recruiting board.

Quarterback:

Sophomore Josh Holmes (79 ovr) is not a great fit for the offense I want to run, but I could do much worse so I won't complain too much. He should keep us competitive in the short term while I bring in the guys I want. He's got a 79 speed but his acceleration and agility is in the low 60s. He's athletic enough to extend plays but he's not a dual threat QB. He's got a bit noodle arm (85 throw power) but that's alright I guess, he's still learning. I think I'll probably run more of a spread or air raid offense in the first couple years while Holmes is the starter.

Redshirt Senior Jimmy Young (76 ovr) is a really similar player to Holmes. He's got a bit more upside as a rusher but still isn't quite the athlete I'm looking for. He's got an even weaker arm than Holmes.

Moving down the list, I don't see any other QBs on the roster that catch my eye. We'll need to bring someone in, but we're OK for now with Holmes and Young.

Running Back

RS Senior Sam Jackson (88 ovr) is a good running back and we'll lean on him heavily in his final year. He's got 88 speed with agility and acceleration in the 90s. 

I've got a bunch of slow power backs behind him and this is a problem for me... but to look at the silver lining: Sophomore Michael Rhodes weighs 234 and has 80 speed with 84 agility and 90 acceleration. Looks like a fine FB/HB like former SMU RB Zach Line. I might move him to fullback (details below) because I love fullbacks and his name is perfect. #RhodePaver.

I definitely need to find some higher caliber athletes at the RB position.

Fullback

Redshirt senior Lance Hawkins is pretty much exactly what I want at FB. 85 speed, strong and quick with good ball carrier skills. It's a shame he's a senior already. I might move him to TE for his final year because his catching ability is on par with what I already have there while he brings upside as a threat with the ball in his hands and as a blocker. That would allow Rhodes to move to Fullback and give me a strong Zoom/Boom combo at HB with two seniors.

Wide Receiver

I've talked about the Two Towers already, 6'4 and 6' 5" sophomores Jerome Sullivan and Ryan Lewis. Feeling really good about those two moving forward.

For speed I've got Seniors Blake DeAngelis (80 ovr) and Dane Tucker (70 ovr) and that's somewhere I'll need to improve as well. I'm feeling OK at WR.

Tight End

This is a bad group.

Sophomore Nic Roberts is developing into a fine combo TE (mid 70s across the board for physical skills) and has the size (6' 6") for the position but right now he's only a 73 overall and I wonder how much his athleticism can improve before he's shown the door. He's by far the best athlete we have at the position as well, which really shows how bad we are there.

Freshman Sean Collins is a towering 6' 7" tall but his lack of strength or speed is killing him. You've gotta be one or the other, or both, but definitely at least one.

We need an overhaul here. Look for WR Andy Parker or FB Lance Hawkins to make the switch to TE this year. Both players are seniors and are looking at the starting TE job as an opportunity to showcase their talents. Parker is a jumbo WR without the receiving skills to make it as a WR in the NFL, if he can pick up blocking he's well on his way to becoming a decent move TE. Hawkins is currently playing a position only a few NFL teams use, if he can show himself to be more than a checkdown option out of the backfield he's much more likely to find himself in an NFL training camp. 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 10:31 AM, theJ said:

This thread is making me sad.  I can't play NCAA 05 because the Xbox is long dead.  Same with Madden 06.  I can't play NCAA08 because my XBOX 360 controllers are dead.  Same thing with Madden 08.

So last night i tried to boot up NFL 2k5, the best nfl sim all time, and it worked!  Except on my PS2 controller, R1 and L1 didn't work.  Which means you can't cycle between some menu's, which means i can't play it. :(

Somebody cry for me.

You can use a PS4 controller on the PS3. Either wired or you can set it up to be wireless. If you don’t have a PS4 then you can always try pulling the PS3 controller a part and cleaning it and reassembling.

5 hours ago, Neumatic said:

You can use a PS4 controller on the PS3. Either wired or you can set it up to be wireless. If you don’t have a PS4 then you can always try pulling the PS3 controller a part and cleaning it and reassembling.

It's a PS2. Old school!

Front seven and secondary breakdown....

Edge Defenders

Yikes.... At DE my starters are redshirt senior Zac Wright, an unathletic undersized run stuffer... and Scott Hayden, a  sophomore whos slightly more undersized but at least has a little more juice. 79 and 72 overall. Bad start for the defense.

None of my backups are good athletes either. Bunch of frat bros out here trying to man the trenches. This simply won't do.

Interior D-Line 

More bad... one underclassmen in the whole group, and none of them are very good. I might have to move some of my fat slow DEs to DT so at least ONE of those spots is alright. Can't just suck across the board.

Mike Wells is getting moved ... maybe moved out of state, he's 243 freaking pounds and has 67 speed. He's too slow to play linebacker, and honestly probably too slow to play DE. But he's too weak to play DT. Jesus Mike, pull yourself together.

Stand Up Linebackers

Here we go... now I'm finding some players. I'm praying one of them has some pass rush oomph and can get moved to DE.

LOLB Brad Thompson looks like a really solid linebacker. OK athleticism but really strong intangibles all around. Unfortunately he's not a pass rusher at all.

MLB D Patton and R Luke are both juniors. Both have good athleticism for the position and solid intangibles. Unfortunately neither of these guys are pass rushers either. 

ROLB RS Senior Rich Lowe... he's got solid athleticism and decent finesse moves... There's a strong chance he gets moved to DE. He's only 246 LBS, but that's bigger than Mike Wells the DT so it's probably great. His backup is pretty good too, so I won't lose much if I move him.

Really solid LBer group, but no star athletes. Finally some good news on the defense. 

Corner 

Not sure what I'm looking for yet. IDK if CPU is going to call man heavy coverages or zone heavy. Wish there was a way to tell the CPU what kind of plays to call.

Really solid 1, 2 and 3 with Jude, Hogan and Mithcell. All of them have athleticism desired for CB but none of them have any extra to give. Jude looks like he has some issues with short area quickness and Mitchell doesn't have a 5th gear. 

Almost no depth at all. Injuries could turn this into a **** show real quick. 

Safety

Another position of strength. 

Senior FS Mr. Payne is a hard hitter. I bet he makes some big plays this year, he's got great athleticism and strong run stopping skills. He's not half bad in coverage either, but definitely excels as a tackler first. His backup is a prototypical box safety, other than his size (too small). 

Denman is a sophomore with good athleticism. He is only 75 ovr right now, but he should develop really nicely. He's designated a hard hitter but his stats are pretty balanced.

any fun conference changes you guys want to see? this doesn't have to be super accurate or realistic.

i'm probably going to play long enough to establish myself as a threat to all teams in the NCAA... i might get a wild hair and challenge myself to win a title or more, but this is like a feeler franchise.

i think after a few seasons under my belt I might start over with a playthrough as a DC at a crap college, working my way up to HC of a contender

Edited by Dome

Offensive Line

T Culver is a stud at LT but he's going to need replaced this year. His backup is a true freshman and has a lot of athletic potential. He'll get a chance to start all over the line if there are injuries this season. 

M Perkins is another standout, this time at RG. Perkins has two more years of eligibility and a strong senior backup in Weldon. 

C A Reid is a 91 OVR redshirt senior. Not a lot of depth behind him, but wow, he's good. 

M Fraizer, an athletic sophomore with a 77 ovr manning the RG spot. He's 6' 2" and 308 lbs and a great athlete for the position. Really excited about Frazier. 

The redshirt junior D Hall is at RT. He's solid across the board, but unspectacular. The only underclassmen at RT does at least have some physical upside 6' 6" frame, 88 acceleration

I've got an excellent starting line, this should help us immensely this year if good stats and wins are important for getting recruits. 

The Stormin' Mormons have an identity I think. Their o-line.

A top tier offensive line should make for an adaptable offensive strategy, run by a pocket passing QB with good straight line speed. I read that NCAA 12 sim cpu is really receptive to adjustments in coaching schemes and scouting your opponent each week and adjusting your strategy is more important than Madden. I'll definitely be testing this more in our easy year 1 schedule, see if I can fine tune things for when the games get harder. 

Edited by Dome

When/Why should I choose to redshirt a player? Other than the obvious reasons like injury, or waiting to drop them into a perfect spot at the right time, what other reasons am I missing?

I'm gonna check the recruiting boards now and get a big board up.

2 hours ago, Dome said:

When/Why should I choose to redshirt a player? Other than the obvious reasons like injury, or waiting to drop them into a perfect spot at the right time, what other reasons am I missing?

Gives them an extra year of progression. I usually redshirt freshman if there is an upperclassman that is entrenched as the starter for their position.

8 hours ago, theJ said:

It's a PS2. Old school!

I don’t get how I didn’t put two and two together. I was thinking NCAA 14 and had that in mind when you were talking about 2k lol. My bad, I’m sure you could find a controller for pretty cheap if you can’t get that one working. They’re a pretty simple controller if you want to pull it apart. 

7 hours ago, Dome said:

Basically when you know they wont play. Usually that doesn't happen the first year or two of these things. Only later when your recruiting really starts rolling.