Should the Playoff format change (used to be the Dallas- Bears TNF thread)

Malfatron

who loses  

60 members have voted

1. 1. who wins

1 minute ago, DaveDX said:

It’s like the one game playoff in baseball. Does it suck to put 162 games on one game?  Yeah, a lot. But is it better than not being in the playoffs?  100%

I agree and I mean honestly you should say more about you as a 13 in 3 or better team if you can't at 7 in 9 team even if it's on the road

34 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I agree and I mean honestly you should say more about you as a 13 in 3 or better team if you can't at 7 in 9 team even if it's on the road

I'm less concerned about the 13-3 wildcard team that has to travel on the road to a 7-9 division winner and more concerned about how the 7-9 division winner gets in over a 10-6 squad.

It's a complicated issue. On one hand, I too like the current system as it makes division rivalries really fun and division races always interesting. Playoff scenarios in the NFL are always engaging. On the other hand, though, the current system can (and has) allowed teams in over another team (or sometimes multiple other teams) who earned not only a better record, but did it against usually a better schedule (since at least one team in their division was better than them).

Regarding this year, how is Dallas and Philadelphia more deserving of a playoff spot than a team like the Rams, who are just really unlucky to share their division with two superb teams? The Rams have had harder competion and yet achieved more. At the end of the day you really want the playoffs to have the best, most deserving teams in it. Or, at least, as close to it as possible.

10 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'm less concerned about the 13-3 wildcard team that has to travel on the road to a 7-9 division winner and more concerned about how the 7-9 division winner gets in over a 10-6 squad.

It's a complicated issue. On one hand, I too like the current system as it makes division rivalries really fun and division races always interesting. Playoff scenarios in the NFL are always engaging. On the other hand, though, the current system can (and has) allowed teams in over another team (or sometimes multiple other teams) who earned not only a better record, but did it against usually a better schedule (since at least one team in their division was better than them).

Regarding this year, how is Dallas and Philadelphia more deserving of a playoff spot than a team like the Rams, who are just really unlucky to share their division with two superb teams? The Rams have had harder competion and yet achieved more. At the end of the day you really want the playoffs to have the best, most deserving teams in it. Or, at least, as close to it as possible.

So in regards to the rams actually disagree. The rams have had opportunities to win game that maybe they should have and haven't.  Let's for a second start with their oftens they're all friends really isn't that good. For as much of a guru and Sean mcvay is supposed to be that is really a mediocre offense. Brandin Cooks isnt close to what they traded for him to be.

Goff is a barely above average QB and that OL has been pretty disappointing all be it struggled with injuries. Their running game with Todd Gurley leaves a lot to be desired too 

Defensively they're better, especially with Jaylen Ramsey. But they've been 'dismissed' a few times this season. While they might be slightly better as a team than Dallas or Philadelphia, we will find out soon for sure, I'm not sure they're so much better that they actually deserve to get handed a seat at the table.

8 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

So in regards to the rams actually disagree. The rams have had opportunities to win game that maybe they should have and haven't.  Let's for a second start with their oftens they're all friends really isn't that good. For as much of a guru and Sean mcvay is supposed to be that is really a mediocre offense. Brandin Cooks isnt close to what they traded for him to be.

Goff is a barely above average QB and that OL has been pretty disappointing all be it struggled with injuries. Their running game with Todd Gurley leaves a lot to be desired too 

Defensively they're better, especially with Jaylen Ramsey. But they've been 'dismissed' a few times this season. While they might be slightly better as a team than Dallas or Philadelphia, we will find out soon for sure, I'm not sure they're so much better that they actually deserve to get handed a seat at the table.

Yes the Rams have flaws. But more than the cowboys or eagles? Absolutely not. They're more than slightly better, they're much better due to defense alone.

Chicago, Tampa Bay, and Carolina are the ones that are merely "slightly better" than Dallas and Philly.

13 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Eh..idk I think all 3 of them suck 

No where even close to the same degree. Swap the Rams and Giants or Skins and the Rams very likely would be running away with the division and close to clinching by now

You asked earlier why we should "hand a seat" to the Rams. The better question is why we are handing one to the Eagles or cowboys as a reward for their division being comprised of four horrific teams?

10 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

No where even close to the same degree. Swap the Rams and Giants or Skins and the Rams very likely would be running away with the division and close to clinching by now

You asked earlier why we should "hand a seat" to the Rams. The better question is why we are handing one to the Eagles or cowboys as a reward for their division being comprised of four horrific teams?

I agree that the rams are not nearly as that is any team in the NFC East having said that let's not undervalue the importance and relevance rather of the always increasing requirement of an organization to understand the level of talent in which their team has the got to exist and in the NFC West it is already known every year that the  San Francisco 49 ers and Seattle Seahawks are teams that you have got to compete with and if you look at yourself in cannot honestly say you can do that the only person that you can blame is yourself at every level of an organization

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I agree that the rams are not nearly as that is any team in the NFC East having said that let's not undervalue the importance and relevance rather of the always increasing requirement of an organization to understand the level of talent in which their team has the got to exist and in the NFC West it is already known every year that the  San Francisco 49 ers and Seattle Seahawks are teams that you have got to compete with and if you look at yourself in cannot honestly say you can do that the only person that you can blame is yourself at every level of an organization

This is true regardless of playoff format.

Again, to me, it's much less of "the Rams deserve to be in the playoffs" and more "the eagles and cowboys don't deserve to be in the playoffs".

• Like 3

This is the attitude I like for the NFL. No need to worry about what you get or how things shake out if you don't win the division. Simple as that. You don't deserve anything for losing, even if your division is harder than another division. Be concerned with your division. 

Edited by PapaShogun