Should the Playoff format change (used to be the Dallas- Bears TNF thread)

Malfatron

who loses  

60 members have voted

1. 1. who wins

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:
This is the attitude I like for the NFL. No need to worry about what you get or how things shake out if you don't win the division. Simple as that. You don't deserve anything for losing, even if your division is harder than another division. Be concerned with your division. 

For somebody who finds losing so abhorrent, you sure support rewarding teams for losing more often than other teams.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

We have this argument every year, and every year you have to come the same conclusion - there are 4 home play-off games up for grabs. If you want one, win your division.

Actually, I come to the conclusion that it's not fair and it should be changed. The ones in charge -- the owners -- come to the conclusion that they don't care about fairness, or reason, or ensuring the best possible product on the field. They care about gate receipts and how many $12 beers they can push.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DannyB said:

For somebody who finds losing so abhorrent, you sure support rewarding teams for losing more often than other teams.

Where did I insinuate that? I said win your division, and not worry about what consolation prize you get if you don't. 

Edited by PapaShogun

4 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Where did I insinuate that? I said win your division, and not worry about what consolation prize you get if you don't. Not a complex concept. 

Shouldn't be, well for most.

So since most are obsessed with the NFCE right now and there potential for a sub .500 type Record to win the East. Can someone tell me how many times in the past 30 years with this current format a 7-9 to 8-8 winner has occurred? Honestly curious?

Now tell me how many 9-7+ Division Winners winners would of had to travel to say a 10-6-12-4 type 2nd place WC opponent and tell me that 1-2 game difference is fair? Was there any 11-5 Tie breakers in favor of a 2nd place team over a Division  Winner? 10-6? Or is this only to apply with the rare anomaly of a 8-8/worse type Winner?

You are opening Pandora's Box if you are trying to seed by records and  Division winners be damned.

8 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Shouldn't be, well for most.

So since most are obsessed with the NFCE right now and there potential for a sub .500 type Record to win the East. Can someone tell me how many times in the past 30 years with this current format a 7-9 to 8-8 winner has occurred? Honestly curious?

Now tell me how many 9-7+ Division Winners winners would of had to travel to say a 10-6-12-4 type 2nd place WC opponent and tell me that 1-2 game difference is fair? Was there any 11-5 Tie breakers in favor of a 2nd place team over a Division  Winner? 10-6? Or is this only to apply with the rare anomaly of a 8-8/worse type Winner?

You are opening Pandora's Box if you are trying to seed by records and  Division winners be damned.

Why stop at records? It would be more fair to seed by SOS!!!

Doesn't matter. The NFL won't change it no matter how much screaming happens by a small contingent of people. Loud as a whisper. :)

These discussions only gain traction when a season occurs where one division is so pathetic an 8-8 or worse record can win it. 

Edited by PapaShogun

17 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

7-9 Dallas is gonna host the 13-3 Niners lol. Division winners should get a playoff spot but it's absurd to reward them with homefield advantage despite an average record.

Once again its probably occured 3x in 30 years and I know for a fact Seattle and Carolina beat their opponents. It's the exception, not the norm. Would it be any less absurd if say the NFCE SOS forced a 10-6 type record and for arguements sake say the 13-3 team had a cupcake schedule making their road to that record a whole lot easier to achieve? Is it still absurd?

If SF/Sea is clearly the better team, winning on the road shouldn't be an issues.  Step the ....up, or go back home! Simple as that.

Edited by Nabbs4u

5 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

If SF/Sea is clearly the better team, winning on the road shouldn't be an issues.  Step the ....up, or go back home! Simple as that.

If the division winner is the better team due to brawling it out in a good division, winning on the road shouldn't be an issue. Step up or go home!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Why stop at records? It would be more fair to seed by SOS!!!

Doesn't matter. The NFL won't change it no matter how much screaming happens by a small contingent of people.

Because records are a real tangible thing that happened in head-to-head matchups on the field rather than some transitive property formula thing.

And you're right that the NFL won't change it. But as has been said over and over, it has nothing to do with anything related to the on-field product, or actually setting up the best possible tournament that decides the best team.

16 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Because records are a real tangible thing that happened in head-to-head matchups on the field rather than some transitive property formula thing.

And you're right that the NFL won't change it. But as has been said over and over, it has nothing to do with anything related to the on-field product, or actually setting up the best possible tournament that decides the best team.

But not everyone played the same schedule or same opponents. That itself already isn't fair. If you start to make record seeding a stronger element than it already is, then that is a rhetoric that would gain more traction. It's only fair.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DannyB said:
17 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

They will and typically do, after the WC home game!

Then going on the road in the first round shouldn't be a problem, right? If you're the better team you shouldn't always win no matter where!

I'm not the one arguing that a 13-3 type team can't do it, just saying. I'm curious if the roles were reversed would you be screaming from the roof tops for the Packers NOT HAVING a game at Lambaugh with such passion?

If you say Yes, I call BS!🍺