Odell   

23 members have voted

1. 1. How long will he be in Cleveland?

• This is his only year
    • Through next season
    • 3-5 seasons
    • Brown for life
    • Horny
  2. 2. What would you need compensated to trade him?

• A 1st round pick and other compensation
    • 1st round pick
    • 2nd round pick
    • I’d die first
    • I’m done with this team
  3. 3. What would help him be more productive here?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001084270/article/odell-beckham-vague-on-his-future-in-cleveland

No one knows what the future holds, like tomorrow. I couldn't tell you what's going to happen," Beckham told reporters, per ESPN's Jake Trotter. "My locker is right beside one of the men [Jarvis Landry] who means the most to me in the world. I think about just being able to come to work and seeing him every single day and how special this could be, so I couldn't sit here and tell you whether I'm gonna be here, want to be here, don't want to be here. This is exactly where I'm at now and I wouldn't rather be anywhere else."

Edited by NateDawg

Discuss. 

Ive been on the train that I don’t think he’s long for Cleveland with the team and individual success we’ve seen. At least not one more season of it. 

Ultimately I want to see him be successful in Cleveland and for us to win games. 

He is doing a very good job for someone with his reputation of keep his head down and just playing when you consider the lack of stats for him this year. I see a lot of people in here and on twitter abusing him and saying he has been a waste of a 1st round pick.  I happen to think this is very unfair on him. Odell is the best or close to the best in the NFL at slants, crossing routes and just going up and getting the ball when it's thrown deep. We have not done nearly enough of this or nearly targeted him enough in the endzone. I have no doubt that if he was in New York still he would be having a far better year with Manning and Jones and their play calling than he has here in Cleveland with Baker and our play calling. 

I mostly blame our play calling but there have definetaly been occasions were Baker just needed to throw the ball in OBJ's direction and give him the chance to go after it

3 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

He is doing a very good job for someone with his reputation of keep his head down and just playing when you consider the lack of stats for him this year. I see a lot of people in here and on twitter abusing him and saying he has been a waste of a 1st round pick.  I happen to think this is very unfair on him. Odell is the best or close to the best in the NFL at slants, crossing routes and just going up and getting the ball when it's thrown deep. We have not done nearly enough of this or nearly targeted him enough in the endzone. I have no doubt that if he was in New York still he would be having a far better year with Manning and Jones and their play calling than he has here in Cleveland with Baker and our play calling. 

I mostly blame our play calling but there have definetaly been occasions were Baker just needed to throw the ball in OBJ's direction and give him the chance to go after it

He's actually been targeted at a high clip this year, we just haven't connected on a lot of those passes, especially deep.  I think being on the field is opening up a lot of stuff for Jarvis and some of the other guys.  Just at times our offense becomes completely anemic on a whole, especially having time to hit him on his longer developing routes.  Also he and Baker aren't on the same page a lot so another off-season with some help on the line should get him there.

I think seeing a broken offense and attributing that to not feeding a WR enough is a cold take.  You take what's there when guys win their matchups.

13 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

I think seeing a broken offense and attributing that to not feeding a WR enough is a cold take.  You take what's there when guys win their matchups.

This isn’t wrong, but I think you also have to have some blind faith in a guy like OBJ to win 1:1 when the opportunity arises.

Id have loved to have seen at least one vertical shot a game where he was given the opportunity to win against the CB for a contested catch.

That said, I’m not gonna pretend I watch all 22 and know if those shots even regularly exist.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This isn’t wrong, but I think you also have to have some blind faith in a guy like OBJ to win 1:1 when the opportunity arises.

Id have loved to have seen at least one vertical shot a game where he was given the opportunity to win against the CB for a contested catch.

That said, I’m not gonna pretend I watch all 22 and know if those shots even regularly exist.

Seeing the all 22 and actually knowing what play was called is pretty huge in evaluating the performance of a WR.  Im in the same boat as you on that one.

There are a lot of missed passes this year where it looks like Odell runs something completely different than what Baker is expecting.  It's hard to attribute the blame without being in the know on those.

Remember when Josh Gordon became a non-factor and later Hoyer said he had no idea what routes he was running when he got back out there?  I highly doubt Odell is that level at all, but there is nuance to the position that goes over most fans and media's heads.  Odell didn't put up the numbers he had in NY because they went out of their way to make sure they hurled at least one deep shot a game.  It was just clicking in a way that got him numbers, whether that was route concepts or chemistry or protection or just a better combination of everything for him.

And it's really being treated as a huge problem because we arent scoring and losing.  If next year Odell has 65 catches for 850 yards, but we have a top 10 passing attack in the NFL, then it only matters for his fantasy football owners.

• Like 1

OBJ was injured this off-season. Many who didn't follow the Giants and their player news would've easily missed that Odell went into the off-season with groin and quad issues.

You can go on a boat ride near a tropical island with those injuries, but you can't practice football related movements at a high level.

Despite a few early season drops, the vast majority of OBJ issues are the lack of meaningful opportunities via the play-calling, OLine issues, and Baker issues. Even still, OBJ should be getting more opportunities to either fail or succeed. 

Just as garbage points or garbage yards don't matters so is the case that OBJ targets need to come in more critical, high-leverage situations.

Even without WR-chemistry development, Baker failed to make the strides/improvements in getting to the next level of quarterbacking/offensive and defensive scheme understanding. He gets fooled by simplistic late shifts and spooked by pre-snap looks often deciding before the snap where he won't go or give a hard look at. Baker needs to put in the work and time not only mechanically but with how he needs to study and diagnose 

This off-season (though Baker has been opposed to it in the past) he needs to go to advanced, graduate level QB school and work relentlessly with a QB coach on eye training and how to read defenses.

OBJ being unavailable in OTAs doesn't mean Jarvis, Baker, and the rest of the offensive skill players couldn't have tried to get on the same page.

The idea that we should trade Odell or that Odell sucks with the Browns because Odell sucks now is just absolutely laughable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

Seeing the all 22 and actually knowing what play was called is pretty huge in evaluating the performance of a WR.  Im in the same boat as you on that one.

There are a lot of missed passes this year where it looks like Odell runs something completely different than what Baker is expecting.  It's hard to attribute the blame without being in the know on those.

Remember when Josh Gordon became a non-factor and later Hoyer said he had no idea what routes he was running when he got back out there?  I highly doubt Odell is that level at all, but there is nuance to the position that goes over most fans and media's heads.  Odell didn't put up the numbers he had in NY because they went out of their way to make sure they hurled at least one deep shot a game.  It was just clicking in a way that got him numbers, whether that was route concepts or chemistry or protection or just a better combination of everything for him.

And it's really being treated as a huge problem because we arent scoring and losing.  If next year Odell has 65 catches for 850 yards, but we have a top 10 passing attack in the NFL, then it only matters for his fantasy football owners.

This

5 hours ago, Mind Character said:

OBJ was injured this off-season. Many who didn't follow the Giants and their player news would've easily missed that Odell went into the off-season with groin and quad issues.

You can go on a boat ride near a tropical island with those injuries, but you can't practice football related movements at a high level.

Despite a few early season drops, the vast majority of OBJ issues are the lack of meaningful opportunities via the play-calling, OLine issues, and Baker issues. Even still, OBJ should be getting more opportunities to either fail or succeed. 

Just as garbage points or garbage yards don't matters so is the case that OBJ targets need to come in more critical, high-leverage situations.

Even without WR-chemistry development, Baker failed to make the strides/improvements in getting to the next level of quarterbacking/offensive and defensive scheme understanding. He gets fooled by simplistic late shifts and spooked by pre-snap looks often deciding before the snap where he won't go or give a hard look at. Baker needs to put in the work and time not only mechanically but with how he needs to study and diagnose 

This off-season (though Baker has been opposed to it in the past) he needs to go to advanced, graduate level QB school and work relentlessly with a QB coach on eye training and how to read defenses.

OBJ being unavailable in OTAs doesn't mean Jarvis, Baker, and the rest of the offensive skill players couldn't have tried to get on the same page.

The idea that we should trade Odell or that Odell sucks with the Browns because Odell sucks now is just absolutely laughable.

Said what I said but in a better way. Some of the blame and hate he is getting is beyond ridiculous 

• Like 1