Your dream FO and coaching staff for this offseason

ripsean21

From what I read about Bieniemy, he’s very detailed, very good coach, holds you accountable and very respected. We don’t know how he’ll work out, hopefully very well if he’s our pick as coach but it Sounds pretty good to me. 

I don’t want a player coach. They usually play hard for you but they never seem disciplined. 

This is probably a weird question, but has a former RB ever been a high level HC? I keep hearing about Eric Bieniemy and Duce Staley as future head coaches, but you don’t see the RB-to-HC move very often. 

I know Anthony Lynn is one. But the jury is still very much out on him, and I can’t really think of others, even at the college level for the most part. Not saying it’s necessarily a reason to resist a coaching candidate who used to play RB — but it may be cause to scratch one’s head and wonder if there’s a reason why this never happens. 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

This is probably a weird question, but has a former RB ever been a high level HC? I keep hearing about Eric Bieniemy and Duce Staley as future head coaches, but you don’t see the RB-to-HC move very often. 

I know Anthony Lynn is one. But the jury is still very much out on him, and I can’t really think of others, even at the college level for the most part. Not saying it’s necessarily a reason to resist a coaching candidate who used to play RB — but it may be cause to scratch one’s head and wonder if there’s a reason why this never happens. 

You limiting to NFL RBs or just RBs in general? Dan Reeves played both ways I think (RB and defense?)

13 hours ago, e16bball said:

Not a weird question at all- https://www.latimes.com/sports/chargers/la-sp-chargers-anthony-lynn-20170908-story.html

Based on all the reports, it sounds like Alex Smith is Dan Snyder’s new right hand man. 

if Bruce is blown out, than I’m sure they’ll rearrange the front office and try and hire Eric Bieniemy.

I would hope they clean out the whole coaching staff and bring in some fresh blood. 

Not the ideal situation, but a change from the status quo can’t be worse. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So I get that this is the dream coaching staff thread and all, but the chances are more likely he starts over Haskins next year than mentoring him.  

Being that Alex Smith is under contract as a player, I don't even understand the logistics of how this would work.  I think he would have to retire to accept a coaching job and then he would be giving away some money unless we waive him.  So while a future in coaching might be a possibility for him, I would think it would have to be a very lucrative offer for him to walk away from his current player contract today.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, offbyone said:

Being that Alex Smith is under contract as a player, I don't even understand the logistics of how this would work.  I think he would have to retire to accept a coaching job and then he would be giving away some money unless we waive him.  So while a future in coaching might be a possibility for him, I would think it would have to be a very lucrative offer for him to walk away from his current player contract today.

Agreed.

One thing I wanted to also point out is that I think people are misunderstanding the role of "player-coach" that I was using. I'm talking about the vet who has been in the system, who will play the backup role (while on the roster) and show the young guy(s) how to execute in that system.

If it's Bienemy, remember, Smith had great success in that system. So it makes sense to use him to help mentor the younger guys.

Now, I also realize we cannot be paying out backup QB the amount we are paying Alex. So we would need to do something like

"Alex, we're gonna cut you June 1st. We'd like for you to come back as a coach and we'll make it some of it up to you."

I mean, if we're going to be clearing cap space by cutting him anyway, then an honest discussion with him about where things lie is on order and we would then be in a good spot to hopefully (assuming he wants to stay retired) use him as a coach for the QBs in Bienemy's system.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 1:33 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

So I get that this is the dream coaching staff thread and all, but the chances are more likely he starts over Haskins next year than mentoring him.  

I don’t see any way in the world that happens. I don’t think Alex will play another down.

On 12/13/2019 at 1:42 PM, offbyone said:

Nah, you just have Alex retire. You make that proactive June 1st so the Redskins don’t take a cap hit and then Alex is free to be hired as an assistant HC or have some role in the front office. If not, you have to tell Alex they have to re-work his deal for cap space for the good of the team or you will cut him as a June 1st designation.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Nah, you just have Alex retire. You make that proactive June 1st so the Redskins don’t take a cap hit and then Alex is free to be hired as an assistant HC or have some role in the front office. If not, you have to tell Alex they have to re-work his deal for cap space for the good of the team or you will cut him as a June 1st designation.

It would be so Redskins to have a coach ruining their salary cap though 😂

On 12/14/2019 at 11:29 AM, Thaiphoon said:

Now, I also realize we cannot be paying out backup QB the amount we are paying Alex. So we would need to do something like

"Alex, we're gonna cut you June 1st. We'd like for you to come back as a coach and we'll make it some of it up to you."

I mean, if we're going to be clearing cap space by cutting him anyway, then an honest discussion with him about where things lie is on order and we would then be in a good spot to hopefully (assuming he wants to stay retired) use him as a coach for the QBs in Bienemy's system.

The tricky thing about cutting Smith, though, is that it’s not clearing us any cap space this offseason. It’s still costing us big bucks in terms of the cap penalty (about $11M it looks like), and we can’t even foist some of that off on next year via the June 1 cut because those are eliminated in the final league year. They’d be choosing to eat a $32M cap number if they cut him this offseason. Not saying it’s an empty threat — but it ain’t the strongest leverage I’ve ever heard of. 

I hope there’s some way to convince him to give some money back (without the NFLPA’s eyes bulging right out of their head), but if I was a gambling man, I’d put my money on them keeping Smith on the roster for one more season. I think they’ll consider drafting a late-round QB, a really experienced pro-ready guy, in the mold of Finley or Minshew. It’s not a great draft for that, unfortunately — maybe Nate Stanley or somebody like that, he isn’t exactly super polished but he has a lot of experience and his game is similar to Haskins in a lot of ways. 

A QB room with Haskins, Smith, and a rookie would be pretty decent. As long as it’s clear to all that Smith is not a candidate to get back on the field unless Haskins is out (sorta like the Eli situation for NYG the last two weeks). And hopefully not even then, if the rookie shows some flashes of promise. 

• Like 2