Replace Rhodes as a starting CB?

perrynoid

Replace Rhodes as Starting CB for the Remainder of the Season?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Given the widespread dissatisfaction with Xavier Rhodes performance as a starter, should the coaching staff make a change?

• No, keep Rhodes the starter.
    • Start Alexander in his place.
    • Start Boyd.
    • Start Hill.
    • Start Hughs.
    • Start Rhodes, but freely substitute.
    • Other (please add clarification in comments).

I think you play both Hughes and Rhodes, just have them swap the number of reps. Start Hughes and let Rhodes be the 4th CB. I don’t know if that would mentally damage Rhodes, but at this point, it probably doesn’t matter. He’s done and you’ve got to see what you have in Hughes. Hughes was a first round pick for crying out loud. Play him!

7 minutes ago, Illadelegend215 said:

Hughes doesn’t look good at all tbh. When teams pick on him it seems they get completions. 

Can he be any worse than Rhodes though? I’d rather play the player who is more hungry and mentally in the game. Just feels like Rhodes has mentally checked out.

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I think you play both Hughes and Rhodes, just have them swap the number of reps. Start Hughes and let Rhodes be the 4th CB. I don’t know if that would mentally damage Rhodes, but at this point, it probably doesn’t matter. He’s done and you’ve got to see what you have in Hughes. Hughes was a first round pick for crying out loud. Play him!

Hughes goes get quite a bit of playing time already to see what he's got.

I agree with having Rhodes sub in for Hughes instead of the other way around. Maybe Hill should sub in for Wayne's instead of Hughes

19 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Regardless of which current backup plays, the simple fact is this: Rhodes is a liability on the field. He may be the least effective CB on our roster and we have younger guys who could use the reps and would not be any worse. 

This.

Alexander has been the best corner in coverage on our team (although PFF has Holton Hill graded slightly higher), but ANYONE would be an improvement.

Start Alexander and Waynes, use Hughes as 3rd, and Hill as 4th, and Rhodes as 5th, and see what happens in the Lions' game, and the Chargers' game.  Maybe rotate them as to where the are on the field, so the opponents don't see their deficiencies in patterns quite so easily.  At this point, opponents can learn how to exploit The Vikings CB's weaknesses faster than the added experience of one more game playing on the same side or deep instead of the slot, is going to help The young Viking CB improve due to that increment in experience.  Seeing how the opponent takes advantage of newly-revealed weaknesses,  adjust accordingly. 

With no inside rush, now, due to Richardson leaving, and Joseph's recent inuries and being one year older, opposing teams have lit up ALL The Vikings' CBs this season.  The Vikings will need to blitz regularly to get more pressure on QBs.  They'll have to disguise where the extra rushers are coming from by constantly varying who they are, and from where they come. That will probably help some against Detroit, Chargers, and Chicago, but Rodgers will shred The Vikings either way.  To beat The Packers, The Vikings will need to score A LOT, and probably need to win the turnover battle by TWO, just to stop a few Packer drives.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

Start Alexander and Waynes, use Hughes as 3rd, and Hill as 4th, and Rhodes as 5th, and see what happens in the Lions' game, and the Chargers' game.  Maybe rotate them as to where the are on the field, so the opponents don't see their deficiencies in patterns quite so easily.  At this point, opponents can learn how to exploit The Vikings CB's weaknesses faster than the added experience of one more game playing on the same side or deep instead of the slot, is going to help The young Viking CB improve due to that increment in experience.  Seeing how the opponent takes advantage of newly-revealed weaknesses,  adjust accordingly. 

With no inside rush, now, due to Richardson leaving, and Joseph's recent inuries and being one year older, opposing teams have lit up ALL The Vikings' CBs this season.  The Vikings will need to blitz regularly to get more pressure on QBs.  They'll have to disguise where the extra rushers are coming from by constantly varying who they are, and from where they come. That will probably help some against Detroit, Chargers, and Chicago, but Rodgers will shred The Vikings either way.  To beat The Packers, The Vikings will need to score A LOT, and probably need to win the turnover battle by TWO, just to stop a few Packer drives.

I know we don’t run much 4-3 base defense, but you’d be asking Alexander to play on the boundary in this scenario. Not sure how comfortable of a move that would be since he’s mostly been a slot player with the Vikes. 

• Like 1

I agree that Rhodes' issues seem to be predominantly mental...sitting him maybe the answer...but, I wonder if a complete physical and mental assessment doesn't need to be performed by the medical staff.

I am old enough to remember how in the mid 70's Bob Griese's career seemed to be over.  He was missing wide open receivers, stumbling and colliding with ball carriers and linemen.  He had a full assessment done and found out he needed glasses!  Once he could see better, his performance was back to what it was in the early '70's.

I have no idea whether it's a simple solution for Rhodes...but, maybe he needs glasses?  It's just intriguing how much of a drop off in performance their was from 2017 to 2018, and now 2019 in still worse.  I don't think it can be completely blamed on age as it hasn't been gradual at all, in my opinion.  He was  great 2015 -17 and pretty bad in 2018 and very bad (for Rhodes) in 2019.

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I know we don’t run much 4-3 base defense, but you’d be asking Alexander to play on the boundary in this scenario. Not sure how comfortable of a move that would be since he’s mostly been a slot player with the Vikes. 

Then put Hughes in Rhodes' place, and test out Hill more.  I can't believe his problems are all mental.  Maybe he's just had a combination of small injuries that are affecting his speed and quickness, and, possibly jumping ability.  No doubt he's had mental problems dealing with the fact that he's been so ineffective this season, which is compounding the problem.  I can't believe his sight is now so bad that he can't see the ball clearly enough to know where it is, and that he can't tell which player he's supposed to cover, or that he can't tell how far he is from the receiver.  None of the other CBs are going to play any less effectively than Rhodes has played this season.