Replace Rhodes as a starting CB?

perrynoid

Replace Rhodes as Starting CB for the Remainder of the Season?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Given the widespread dissatisfaction with Xavier Rhodes performance as a starter, should the coaching staff make a change?

• No, keep Rhodes the starter.
    • Start Alexander in his place.
    • Start Boyd.
    • Start Hill.
    • Start Hughs.
    • Start Rhodes, but freely substitute.
    • Other (please add clarification in comments).

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Rhodes need to be sat down. Even if it’s for one game. He “knows” that he’s not playing well, but nothing is changing. And that’s concerning because his issues seem to be mental, not physical

Bench him, then see how he responds. 

I agree with everything in your post except this.

He's looking incredibly slow footed, and stiff.

14 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Hughes hasn't been good this year mostly, but this is positive. Hopefully by next year he'll be where he needs to be in his progression. He has hours left to use!

I’ve always thought Hughes has had great hip flexibility. It was his straight line speed that had me concerned. He ran a 40 yd - 4.53 (3-cone 6.70 and 20 yard shuttle 4.13) For reference, Rhodes ran a 4.43 (No recorded time for 3-cone and 20 TD shuttle); Wayne’s ran a 4.31 (3-cone 7.06 and 20 TD shuttle 4.39). Alexander 4.47 (3-cone 7.18 and 20 TD shuttle 4.21).

M. Hughe’s short area quickness really shows up on tape, imo. I’ve always thought of him as a slot corner, but does fairly well on the boundaries. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

I’ve always thought Hughes has had great hip flexibility. It was his straight line speed that had me concerned. He ran a 40 yd - 4.53 (3-cone 6.70 and 20 yard shuttle 4.13) For reference, Rhodes ran a 4.43 (No recorded time for 3-cone and 20 TD shuttle); Wayne’s ran a 4.31 (3-cone 7.06 and 20 TD shuttle 4.39). Alexander 4.47 (3-cone 7.18 and 20 TD shuttle 4.21).

M. Hughe’s short area quickness really shows up on tape, imo. I’ve always thought of him as a slot corner, but does fairly well on the boundaries. 

Might have to be the slot CB if Alexander becomes too expensive.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Rhodes limped off with his weekly "injury" last night.  Does anyone think we even need to bring him back on the field?  I think I'd just go with who we've got.  Rhodes is a liability at this point.

Are you thinking he needs to go on IR?

3 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I think they should have him inactive these next 2 weeks and get him healthy for the playoffs

This would be the best move. I’d rather play Rhodes in the playoffs than Boyd as the fifth CB.  Hughes hasn’t been great either but at least their is hope and he doesn’t commit penalties at the rate Rhodes does. 

• Like 1

Perhaps I am a bit naive, but can't we just sucker some team with a lot of cap space, and trade Rhodes for a 4th round pick?  Keep in mind, that teams have to spend a minimum of their cap space or face reprisals, correct?  Some team with a bad backfield should be willing to give us a 4th, right?

33 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

Perhaps I am a bit naive, but can't we just sucker some team with a lot of cap space, and trade Rhodes for a 4th round pick?  Keep in mind, that teams have to spend a minimum of their cap space or face reprisals, correct?  Some team with a bad backfield should be willing to give us a 4th, right?

You would think so, but it might be so late in the season that the only teams looking to improve their secondary may not have the cap space.  I'm no expert by any means though.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

You would think so, but it might be so late in the season that the only teams looking to improve their secondary may not have the cap space.  I'm no expert by any means though.

Oh, sorry, should have bee more specific.  I don't think teams can trade right now, my proposal was for the off season before the 2020 draft takes place.