The 2020 Personnel Discussion: Offense

WindyCity

I am wondering how people see this offensive personnel getting improved to ensure that Trubisky or the next QB is successful.

TE

I say sign a veteran like Austin Hooper. TE takes a long time to develop and the draft is pretty weak right now in terms of talent outside of Bryce Hopkins who may go well before the 50s.

I think Horsted and Holtz have value, but the Bears need a primary Y TE that can at least pretend to fill the Kelce role.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tight-end/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/joe-marino-s-2020-nfl-draft-tight-end-rankings

OT

The Bears have gotten incredibly mediocre results from their OTs. Cornelius Lucas has come off the scrap heap to be their most consistent player at the position and he should be retained as the swing OT at minimum.

The free agent options are older and more expensive.

I think the Bears should look at OT in the 2nd round where they could get a young, athletic player that can push Massie and Leno. They might not replace them in camp 2020, but they can replace them long term when they are ready. This is also the most cost effective.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tackle/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/joe-marino-s-2020-nfl-draft-offensive-tackle-rankings

OG

I am intrigued by Bars and Coward. I think Daniels has settled back in to LG.

I would like to see the Bears add an OG at some point, but I do not think they need to spend money at the position unless they want to lane a whale like Brandon Scherff. I would look in day 3 of the draft and add another big body to the mix at RG.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/guard/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/joe-marino-s-2020-nfl-draft-interior-offensive-line-rankings

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Say what you want about Hunt the person, but he would be best back on Bears roster right now and fits the offense perfectly.  

He should be hungry and I can’t imagine he’s interested in being second fiddle in Cleveland long term. Chubb has looked great. We have Montgomery... but Hunt on a 3 year deal I would be all over.

If we can't land Scherff I'd be open to going for Incognito. Cheap and does a good job, and he has a serious mean streak I want to see instilled in the young guy(s) we draft. 

He is a POS, yes. But his stilupid penalties can easily be ignored for his consistently solid play. 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

If we can't land Scherff I'd be open to going for Incognito. Cheap and does a good job, and he has a serious mean streak I want to see instilled in the young guy(s) we draft. 

He is a POS, yes. But his stilupid penalties can easily be ignored for his consistently solid play. 

Hard pass. Can’t imagine he’s a great guy in the locker room, and the likelihood of an off field incident and the ensuing media coverage is too high

1 hour ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Hard pass. Can’t imagine he’s a great guy in the locker room, and the likelihood of an off field incident and the ensuing media coverage is too high

Meh. You're looking at a super cheap deal for the talent level and if he can't handle media coverage on Chicago then he picked the wrong profession. He handled the media blasting over his garbage offense for the bulk of the season, losing a $2-3 mil player is nothing IMO. 

On 12/6/2019 at 1:53 PM, WindyCity said:

I am intrigued by Bars and Coward. 

Bars looked just as good at tackle in the pre-season, didn't he? That's the spot where Bars really intrigues me

On 12/6/2019 at 1:53 PM, WindyCity said:

I think the Bears should look at OT in the 2nd round where they could get a young, athletic player that can push Massie and Leno. They might not replace them in camp 2020, but they can replace them long term when they are ready. This is also the most cost effective.

That might be the way to go, but I don't know enough about the linemen in the next draft to know if it will shake out that anyone there makes sense. Also, remember there MAY be some veteran options out there. Minnesota might not be able to pay Riley Rieff, for example. Pace moves Leno and Burton, and he should have the money needed for that. 

Bars should be getting experience snapping right now in practice. Daniels did not do well as a C and might be a guard, Whitehair has to prove he can snap consistently (I don't remember the usual 3-5 bad snaps last game though). Bars seems to be versatile and if Whitehair goes down it might be better to have Bars step in there rather than at OG while Daniels kicks over.

21 hours ago, Sugashane said:

**** and no.

This guy is erratic as hell in play, and say whatever you will about his other duties but Nagy has built a tough loyal locker room and getting a marginal upgrade in play is not worth the weird show this guy is gonna bring

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Scherff would give me the tingles. That would be a true difference maker at RG and would immediately upgrade C and RT.

I just think we have a better chance of landing a starting OG/OT in the draft then we do a TE.

Scherff most likely could be a standout RT, too. Just sayin'...

2 hours ago, malagabears said:

Going off the deep end and asking a probable non-starter. Would any of you like to see the Bears clear enough CAP to trade for OBJ in the off season?

I'm all for adding a talent next to Robinson, but OBJ is so damn toxic.  His lack of guarantees on the deal would kill a lot of the concerns he would give me though. 

I'll say yes, basically you would cut Floyd's salary and you owe about $1mil more. So losing Floyd and cutting Shaheen could cover him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

no

I think QBs mostly make WRs and not the other way around.  

Collecting great WRs at premium cost isn't as important as OL and QB and a poor use of cap space.   Obviously not having  great WRs is a problem, but it is one that is more easily and quickly solved and you can more easily luck into a WR find than you can QB or OL.