The 2020 Personnel Discussion: Offense

WindyCity

37 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Mitch is very clearly a personnel dependent QB.

He needs to be on a more talented offense if he is going to be successful.

Pace missed on the QB, but then missed on the personnel to support him.

He reminds me a lot of Jimmy G. A solid QB who needs a lot around him to really function well. 

2 hours ago, Nads786 said:

He reminds me a lot of Jimmy G. A solid QB who needs a lot around him to really function well. 

Jimmy, Dak, Kirk, Tannehill, Jamies, a majority of the league has personnel dependent QBs.

Rodgers

Brees 

Russell

Ryan

Mahomes

Watson

Those might be the only QBs left that actually can hide weaknesses around them.

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Jimmy, Dak, Kirk, Tannehill, Jamies, a majority of the league has personnel dependent QBs.

Rodgers

Brees 

Russell

Ryan

Mahomes

Watson

Those might be the only QBs left that actually can hide weaknesses around them.

Take out Ryan and Brees and replace them with Lamar. Those guys have always had good weapons around them.

It's pretty simple at this point. Give Mitch solid protection and some resemblance of a run game and I believe he will be more than good enough.

He has shown a lot of growth in the past few weeks even though he came up short against GB this past game. 

I see a guy who's gaining more confidence and commanding the offense better.

He will be the starter for at least 1 more year so we all gotta hope he continues to get better and that the team builds a solid supporting cast around him. 

Upgrade OL, TE and OLB and this team can make some noise next year.

Phillip Rivers is the Chicago Bear’s Brett Favre. There really are a lot of similarities with this team and the pre 2009 Vikes.... young qb who’s struggling, talented D, a few nice playmakers. Rivers or some type of late round magic qb are the only  chances Chicago has at winning a super bowl with this group

8 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Take out Ryan and Brees and replace them with Lamar. Those guys have always had good weapons around them.

To me Lamar is a personnel dependent QB.

They have to be able to run the ball. Everything comes off being able to run the ball when they want to.

Lots of TE, play action, run fakes.

He is elite, but you need a certain style of personnel for him to be an MVP, which is okay.

2 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

Phillip Rivers is the Chicago Bear’s Brett Favre. There really are a lot of similarities with this team and the pre 2009 Vikes.... young qb who’s struggling, talented D, a few nice playmakers. Rivers or some type of late round magic qb are the only  chances Chicago has at winning a super bowl with this group

Rivers is playing arguably worse than Mitch this season when you consider he has better talent surrounding him in LA.  You really expect a guy like him to step in to this offense next year and lead this team somewhere.

I seriously doubt it.  

38 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He needs to be in an offense like Kirk Cousins.

Run the ball. Play action. 1 on 1 deep shots. 25-30 passes a game, ideally less.

Add in the QB run and let him roll.

Interesting to hear Mitch give a subtle shot to the offensive play caller on this team *cough Nagy cough* regarding not having enough designed pocket movements to help Mitch and the offensive line out more against opposing pressure.

Is Mitch starting to realize that this coaching staff is not exactly helping him be the best QB he can be?

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

He needs to be in an offense like Kirk Cousins.

Run the ball. Play action. 1 on 1 deep shots. 25-30 passes a game, ideally less.

Add in the QB run and let him roll.

I could not agree more. I would also add we need a new playing calling style, is Nagy going to drop his ego and consider a play calling OC?

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Interesting to hear Mitch give a subtle shot to the offensive play caller on this team *cough Nagy cough* regarding not having enough designed pocket movements to help Mitch and the offensive line out more against opposing pressure.

Is Mitch starting to realize that this coaching staff is not exactly helping him be the best QB he can be?

I noticed that as well and found it pretty interesting. It's not his style to give honest answers during the presser. I feel like he looks so much better under center off of play action and moving around in the pocket. Some of his throws were really good.

It really sucks that we have a QB issue and a coaching issue.

1 minute ago, Nads786 said:

I noticed that as well and found it pretty interesting. It's not his style to give honest answers during the presser. I feel like he looks so much better under center off of play action and moving around in the pocket. Some of his throws were really good.

It really sucks that we have a QB issue and a coaching issue.

I think the QB and coaching issues go hand in hand.  Personally though it's hard for me to pin much of the blame on a 25 year old 3rd year starter who didn't have much experience coming into this league.

I think more than anything we have a personnel issue.  The o-line is not good and does not give Mitch enough time to feel comfortable nor does it help him out with any run game.  That's really tough when you think about it.

Whether it's Mitch or some other QB next year, Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy will not be able to save their job unless the o-line is much improved.  It all starts there.  I'm not convinced that any one of Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, and DeShaun Watson would be doing a whole lot better as the QB of this team right now, are you?

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Rivers is playing arguably worse than Mitch this season when you consider he has better talent surrounding him in LA.  You really expect a guy like him to step in to this offense next year and lead this team somewhere.

I seriously doubt it.  

PFF still has Rivers graded like 15 points higher. With Rivers you'd have a QB that can actually go through progressions.