NFL 100 team

3rivers

4 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

No Peterson? LT? Faulk? Woodson? Dawkins? Polamalu?... I understand you cannot fit everyone, but I really have a hard time believing that those guys wouldn't make up 100 of the best guys to play the game. Certainly deserve being on the list over Lechler. Sure, you could argue Lechler was better at his position than all of those guys were at theirs, but they played vastly more important positions. Case closed.

I mean, if you wanna make that argument than the list shouldn't include any special teams or interior Oline players, which would be dumb.

18 hours ago, showtime said:

It seems like they were really bias against guys who played in the last 15 or so years.  A lot of those guys didn't make it and several should have.  A player like Ed Reed kind of breaks the mold since he's the best player ever at his position, I guess.

Yeah JJ Watt is a top 5 player in the past 20 years and isn't on the list why?

I wonder if this list being full of old people is a way to appeal to a certain part of their fanbase who have been upset with the NFL lately.

8 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Yeah JJ Watt is a top 5 player in the past 20 years and isn't on the list why?

I wonder if this list being full of old people is a way to appeal to a certain part of their fanbase who have been upset with the NFL lately.

Tomlinson said there aren't many players who have played during the last 10-15 years on the list.  I think Ed Reed is one of the few.  But listen at how Bill Belichick talks about Reed.... he calls him the best safety ever.  So in order to be a player who is really recent and make this list you have to be one of of the best ever at your position.... most people aren't that.  I think Watt being hurt so much really brought him down.

Troy Polamalu got snubbed from the All Time Team, because Mel Blount and Rod Woodson were already chosen for the DB class. 

They didn't want to put too many Steelers in there for fear of being biased.

But, that's just how many great defensive backs played for Pittsburgh.

They even forgot players like Donnie Shell and Carnell Lake.  

On 12/9/2019 at 9:36 AM, PapaShogun said:

Think about it though. A lot of those guys dominated their competition in their era. If Tomlinson was born 70 years ago he wouldn't have the same resources in training, coaching, facilities, nutrition, conditions, and just overall knowledge that everyone has today. Tomlinson might have also had to play two positions, more snaps, and as ridiculous as it sounds have a second job during the season to make money.

It's all about how you dominated your era.

He'd play on worse fields, he'd play in a rougher era where he would get the **** kicked out of him, due to lack of sports medicine knowledge one injury could legit end his career, and like you said he'd probably be playing multiple positions, also as far as pass catching he'd have worse QB's throwing to him in a less elaborate offense. More importantly, RB's were more featured so he'd be playing a game where they wouldn't be accounting for the pass nearly as much

On 12/9/2019 at 9:45 AM, TXsteeler said:

I just really don't care about that. Earl Clark rushed for just under 2800 yards and 36 TDs in 7 years. LT rushed for just under 3300 yards and 43 TDs in 2 years.

Somebody being the greatest RB out of a bunch of scrubs that would be rolled by your average high school state champion team today getting on the list just because he played 85 years ago (which btw, nobody alive today really has a good memory of) is just a joke.

Clark was considered the best football player of the 30's. Not best RB of the 30's, best player in the league period. Sammy Baugh and Don Hutson who revolutionized their positions also played in that decade for the record and AP named Clark the best NFL player. 

He played in an era where RB's were more important. He was the star player on a championship team and it wasn't debateable that he was the best by a large margin on that team. 

He was also one of the best defenders in the league, he could pass, he could kick etc. He was probably the most well rounded and complete player in history from being able to do everything. 

Also twice as many first team All Pros as LT. 

If LT played back then his career likely would have ended when he got that first knee injury, he would have been asked to play defense to, and he would have played on a ****tier fields. 

And no high school athletes would still get killed by those players. Guys like Jim Thorpe played back then

2 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Imagine JJ Watt not being on this team but Gronk is...

Who would you have put over Gronk? Gates? Gates played in the same era as Gronk, Gronk was always better. Sharpe? There were a dozen things Gronk could do that Sharpe couldn't, and not a single thing Sharpe could do that Gronk didn't?

With the exception of 2018, every year Gronk played, he was the best TE. Watt really hasn't been the same since he got injured in 2015. 

Also Gronk still played more games when this list was made. 

• Like 2

Too bad there wasn't room for the wizard Ozzie Newsome. I thought he would make it, but then Mike Ditka's name popped up. Also, no Joe Thomas for the offensive linemen. 

There are two more coaching spots on the list. If Bill Walsh isn't one of them, I'm going to scream for 3 days straight. 

Edited by PapaShogun

9 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Too bad there wasn't room for the wizard Ozzie Newsome. I thought he would make it, but then Mike Ditka's name popped up. Also, no Joe Thomas for the offensive linemen. 

There are two more coaching spots on the list. If Bill Walsh isn't one of them, I'm going to scream for 3 days straight. 

Shula and Walsh will be the final spots

13 hours ago, lancerman said:

Who would you have put over Gronk? Gates? Gates played in the same era as Gronk, Gronk was always better. Sharpe? There were a dozen things Gronk could do that Sharpe couldn't, and not a single thing Sharpe could do that Gronk didn't?

With the exception of 2018, every year Gronk played, he was the best TE. Watt really hasn't been the same since he got injured in 2015. 

Also Gronk still played more games when this list was made. 

Watt was literally the best last year...

Watt at his peak was a better DL than Gronk was a TE. Watt was winning awards defined by an entire side of the ball; Gronk was winning awards defined by a single position.  And at least 5 of his 9 seasons Gronk could very easily not have been argued as the best TE in the league that season. And I say that as a Gronk homer. This list is a bad list. 

3 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Watt was literally the best last year...

Watt at his peak was a better DL than Gronk was a TE. Watt was winning awards defined by an entire side of the ball; Gronk was winning awards defined by a single position.  And at least 5 of his 9 seasons Gronk could very easily not have been argued as the best TE in the league that season. And I say that as a Gronk homer. This list is a bad list. 

Gronk is legitimately the pound for pound best TE ever. He murderes every TE including guys like Gonzo and Gates who played recently in per game stats. Gronl also played more games when the list was voted on. Also he was a big reason why his team won SB's. And he has the best every season at his position. 

You can argue Gronk was a better pure player than anyone in his position group/ Can't do that for Watt

The list isn't bad, people are just mad that some guys they watched aren't getting on it. Could do that in any any era.