NFL 100 team

3rivers

Just now, wwhickok said:

I think that's fair. Both generational players of their time 

I dont disagree.  That said, I dont think Troy was a no doubt top 100 guy.  Top 150?  Yes.  He is the definition of being not quite 100 but damn close.  Too many younger guys got passed over before he gets in though.

• Like 1

Just now, Ragnarok said:

I dont disagree.  That said, I dont think Troy was a no doubt top 100 guy.  Top 150?  Yes.  He is the definition of being not quite 100 but damn close.  Too many younger guys got passed over before he gets in though.

I disagree with that, imo. To me, he is a 1st ballot HOFer. Definitely a top 100 overall player. But let's be honest here, there is so many great players that have played this game, its arguable. Having said that i actually think Troy gets underrated by a lot of ppl

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I disagree with that, imo. To me, he is a 1st ballot HOFer. Definitely a top 100 overall player. But let's be honest here, there is so many great players that have played this game, its arguable. Having said that i actually think Troy gets underrated by a lot of ppl

I agree in that he is a first ballot HOFer. No question.

But there's a difference in first ballot HOFer and top 100 guy.

He just doesn't quite hit that 'no doubt' category.

Just now, wwhickok said:

I mean for me he does but I'm a little biased because I watched every game he played.

Every fan who 'watched every game "whoever" played' would be biased.  That's sweet in terms of relevance, but it doesn't matter when considering top 100 ranking.  

• Like 1

Charles Woodson- More picks than a few corners on there, had a DPOY, more all pros. The only thing Darrell Green has on Woodson is another ring.

Adrian Peterson or LT- literally Gale Sayers played 6 years. Both LT and Peterson were the best in the nfl for longer at their positions 

I might go Pace over J.O. Definitely Pace over some of the older guys. I get they want to be fair to different eras, but some eras are just more talented 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N4L said:

I think they tried to get an equal amount of guys from every era. 

The athletes of today would destroy the ones from 20 years ago, let alone 100 years ago. So, they tried to balance it out and get players from different eras. 

Makes sense to me 

I used to believe this.  Then I lived long enough to watch today's NBA and compare them to the athletes from the 90s and early 00s.

I don't know how good athletes were before the late 90s when I started watching sports but I don't think the athletes of today are superior.  If anything them seem worse especially when it comes to injuries and endurance.  When do you ever remember hearing about "load management" before?

I say give the old timers respect.  Today's athletes just benefit from modern technology.  They are not more gifted naturally.  Evolution doesn't work that fast.  

5 hours ago, VanS said:

I used to believe this.  Then I lived long enough to watch today's NBA and compare them to the athletes from the 90s and early 00s.

I don't know how good athletes were before the late 90s when I started watching sports but I don't think the athletes of today are superior.  If anything them seem worse especially when it comes to injuries and endurance.  When do you ever remember hearing about "load management" before?

I say give the old timers respect.  Today's athletes just benefit from modern technology.  They are not more gifted naturally.  Evolution doesn't work that fast.  

The bolded is my whole point. Nutrition, sport science, recovery, training methods, health knowledge, medicine and other medical practices etc etc etc have improved so much that athletes from today would have a huge advantage against athletes from even 20 years ago, let alone before that 

Nba players have 'load management' now because the pace of the game has increased 10x and is therefore harder on their bodies. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, N4L said:

Nba players have 'load management' now because the pace of the game has increased 10x and is therefore harder on their bodies. 

Actually they used to play this fast in the mid-80s (when the highest scoring game in NBA occurred) as well as the 60s (when Wilt Chamberlain averaged all those points).  Don't remember those guys using "load management".  As with everything else people now are just softer.  Athletes are no different.

Apparently the WR list has already been leaked:

Alworth, Berry, Fitz, Marvin Harrison, Hirsch, Hutson, Largent, Moss, Rice, and Warfield

From what I heard, Hirsch being on the list is irking folks. if this thread isn't evidence enough, I know a lot more people will be irked though that more modern players aren't on the list like Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson.

Edited by PapaShogun