Will jets get rid of Bell after the season?

bertuzzi

Pretty bad season for one of the highest paid RBs in football. The RB class this coming year is stacked. Not even 1 100 yard rushing game all year. Bell definitely needs a good offense to show what he can do but will the jets have it next season or move on from him? i dunno watcha think?

I think the cap penalty would be too much to justify cutting him. They could trade him for next to nothing, contingent the team he's traded to picks up that deal (which I think would be the reason a team didn't trade for him - that nasty contract).

Someone is going to offer a 2022 7th round pick and pick up that contract...

There are two issues here:

1) Gase is incredibly stubborn and has simply refused to adjust his schemes to accommodate for Bells talent - His lack of involvement in the passing game has been infuriating and inexcusable. 2) Bells patient style of running isn't possible behind this current OL. We can't hold blocks long enough for Bell to scan the field, furthermore, he's waiting for a hole to open that doesn't exist.

I'd argue with anyone that the Jets have the worst OL in football, and while I expect Douglas to prioritize the OL above all else going forward, if Gase gets his way Bell will be gone. It's a shame because I do believe he's the same guy he was in Pittsburg.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NJC33 said:

There are two issues here:

1) Gase is incredibly stubborn and has simply refused to adjust his schemes to accommodate for Bells talent - His lack of involvement in the passing game has been infuriating and inexcusable. 2) Bells patient style of running isn't possible behind this current OL. We can't hold blocks long enough for Bell to scan the field, furthermore, he's waiting for a hole to open that doesn't exist.

I'd argue with anyone that the Jets have the worst OL in football, and while I expect Douglas to prioritize the OL above all else going forward, if Gase gets his way Bell will be gone. It's a shame because I do believe he's the same guy he was in Pittsburg.

It just really makes no sense.  It's a classic case of a front office thinking that a RB is going to singlehandedly solve their running game issues.  It just doesn't work that way.  A RB in the NFL is generally only as good as their blocking, and the scheme fit in what they're good at.  Jets really haven't seemed to tailor anything around their premium price offensive weapon in Bell.  It's just been a square peg, round hole situation from the start basically.  Behind a line that probably couldn't even execute the sort of system Bell thrives in anyway.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

It just really makes no sense.  It's a classic case of a front office thinking that a RB is going to singlehandedly solve their running game issues.  It just doesn't work that way.  A RB in the NFL is generally only as good as their blocking, and the scheme fit in what they're good at.  Jets really haven't seemed to tailor anything around their premium price offensive weapon in Bell.  It's just been a square peg, round hole situation from the start basically.  Behind a line that probably couldn't even execute the sort of system Bell thrives in anyway.

Mike Maccagnan knew at the very least there would be a playoff mandate for him this season so he put all his chips on the table in effort to make a splash and save his job. Only the Jets would let a guy control the draft and spend 100mil + in free agency before showing him the door.