Selection Sunday Thread

naptownskinsfan

Military Bowl here in Annapolis will be North Carolina and Temple.  That should be a well-attended game.  Temple travels well down here, and the only year of the basketball classic at Navy that sold out was the year North Carolina played.  

Memphis gets the Group of Five bid to the New Years 6, getting the Cotton Bowl against Penn State.  

Georgia gets the Sugar Bowl bid.......again......this time against Baylor.  Somehow I see a repeat of last year in our future. 

Just letting you know.

Just because I have Aspergers does not mean I came here to be disrespected.

I'm sure ND will be fine they have a garbage opponent, but what hurts most is that their major bowl win drought is going to extend to 26 seasons, before bowls are even played.

As for the bowls that have been set, some include matchups I'd like to see become conference games in the future, including Georgia Southern-Liberty (Cure Bowl, Sun Belt), Oklahoma State-Texas A&M (Texas Bowl, SEC) and Boston College-Cincinnati (Birmingham Bowl, ACC).

It will be interesting to see how Clemson looks against a real team. We haven’t seen that this year. Both fanbases seem confident. I tend to think that Ohio State will have their way with Clemson’s defense and that Clemson will also get theirs offensively with that balanced attack and weapons out wide. As far as talent goes, no offense to Clemson, but there’s not a more talented team than OSU. Three cornerbacks are going to go in the first two rounds, one of which will go top 10. Another safety probably round 3-5. Then you have Chase Young and Davon Hamilton up front on the DL along with the other guys. If nothing else I would like to see Ohio State win because Clemson’s fanbase is beyond smug and overconfident at this point. I guess if they do it every Clemson fan seems to think, it will be with good reason. I’m sure a lot of it has to do with what happened a few years back and them also being defending champions. I’m already ready for this matchup to happen. 

Ultimately both defenses have their hands full with weapons to account for. It will come down to who makes the big plays and who makes the big mistakes more than likely.

Edited by NateDawg

Add Southern Miss-Tulane (Armed Forces Bowl, American) to conference matchup previews.

This was actually a big rivalry for both teams years prior to their membership in C-USA, and was played every year from 1979-2006, it had interruptions in the later C-USA years because of divisional play.

My proposed American realignment puts both teams in the West and has them play on Thanksgiving weekend, potentially on ABC (the American is the only G5 conference regularly on network TV).

Also, Cal, Eastern Michigan, Florida Atlantic. Hawaii, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, Texas, Texas A&M. UCF, and USC are all playing close to their home stadiums or in FAU and Hawaii's cases, their actual homes.

Games that have former conference rivalries include Camellia, Gasparilla, Hawaii, Texas and Armed Forces. There is also an abundance of bowl rematches too.

I forgot to mention LSU-Oklahoma

In my realignment projections I have OU along with Oklahoma State going to the SEC. Both schools would be placed in the West, sending Alabama and Auburn to the East and Missouri to the West. And LSU-Oklahoma would be played on an annual basis.

It's been five years since an eligible 7-win team was left out of a bowl.

That team, Texas State, has not recovered from this slighting, which was made even worse by the fact that a 6-6 team in their conference was selected, despite the fact that Texas State was playing football well before the university in question, South Alabama, was created. At the time the Sun Belt unlike other G5 conferences did not prioritize 7-win teams in getting bowl bids. This situation led to the Sun Belt doing exactly that in subsequent years. What puzzles me the most about this is that the American advocated for an ACC opponent in the bowl game Texas State wanted in, when the American should be blaming the ACC for the loss of its power conference status in football (where it was formerly called the Big East), this loss hurt then-American member UConn the most, because they had been the only BCS AQ team in their state, and among public schools in New England, and also, the Huskies had set the record for fastest transition out of FCS by joining the Big East (then AQ) in only their third year as a full FBS member. Many Huskies fans are also bitter over the ACC not inviting them on several occasions in order to re-establish old rivalries (that invite might come if they significantly turn things around in football and men's basketball).

Texas State meanwhile has changed coaches twice  Their first season under their current coach did not go well.

While two teams with winning records (2017 UTSA and 2018 Southern Miss) were subsequently left out, they had 6-5 records due to cancellations from weather and were likely treated as if they had gone 6-6. Both of these teams are in Conference USA, a conference many Texas State fans want the Bobcats to be in (they came close when UAB dropped football, but the Blazers later brought it back). They'll probably get into C-USA in the next major realignment because UTSA likely desires that their rivalry with TXST be a conference one again.

Edited by pf9