Mock Draft 5.0 / 2 Rounds / 1 trade

zappa13004

Alright, Zappa my friend. Always enjoy the efforts. 

I have two scenarios for my Lions. 

Scenario A - Lions are likely going to lose out and probably in that #3 spot. They lost to Washington and the Giants/Dolphins/Redskins all have some games that somebody has to win. I'll come back to what you've actually laid out in scenario B. 

Lions at #3 - do the trade down with the Chargers for their new QB. Whether it's Herbert or Tua, there is some value there. 

9 - AJ Epenesa, DE, Iowa: Trey Flowers is showing flashes as the guy that the Lions signed after shaking off the rust due to injury. However, the rest of the DL has struggled. The Lions have not been able to put together a couple book ends at DE for a long time. Epenesa is another guy that is versatile and fits the scheme

39 - Terrell Lewis, OLB/Edge, Alabama: The Patriots and their ilk are big fans of the SEC. We've had major issues at rushing the passer and need an upgrade at LB. 

41 - Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama: The Lions need to get younger and deeper at CB. I'm not convinced that Slay is going to even be on the roster this time next year. Diggs fits with what they want in a variety of ways

Our offense hasn't been the issue at all, even with Stafford's injury. The defense needs an injection of life into it. All three guys could get playing time early but are also key pieces moving forward. 

Scenario B

Lions are sitting there at #7

#7 - Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama - This is a complete luxury pick but there is still some value here. Jeudy is probably WR1. Marvin Jones isn't getting any younger and the team has been its most successful with the offense. Jeudy is BPA here and really does round out the WR corp of Golladay, Marvin Jones, Danny Amendola and Marvin Hall. Okudah is a great player but the Patriots and Lions don't tend to take CB's high and start them as rookies with significant roles. It could be because the top guys are always taken near the top of the draft (and Patriots are usually selecting near the bottom). It could also be team building philosophy. They just don't do it and if you're taking a guy at #7, you're expecting him to have an instant impact. Unless he plays TE. Then you want to wait 3 years. 

#39 - Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia - Hall was projected to be a 1st round pick. He fits a lot of the qualities that the Lions look for. Slay is probably not going to be on the roster. So we'll need to address this at some point. I do like your pick of Wilson and I'd even be good with Prince as well. 

Keep rolling these out, my man. Always enjoy the thought provoking read.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 2:58 PM, BowserBroncos said:

Why the hell everyone think we will target a LB this early every year? We pass on Bush. Johnson is playing in a high level and Todd Davis isn't bad.

With this board give us Ruggs, Trade Down or the best LT available.

No. We have Miller and Chubb under contract until the end of the 2022 season. We have some good pieces for the depth. Edge Rusher is far from a need. We should target OT,  IOL(one of two depending on free agency), CB, WR and DL.

My bad for Von Miller, don't know why i was sure he would be FA at the end of that season. You right, he'll still be under contract. About Simmons, i saw Johnson playing well and happy for that guy who i once liked with UT and then not that much. Simmons is a different kind of animal with his cover skills and as i mentionned your division is full of efficient TEs. An LT would make sense, Bolles well...But will they give up on him yet ? But possible, okay.

16 hours ago, BigMountainGoat said:

Crazy pick for the Bills. They have massive needs, and drafted Singletary who is excellent whenever he gets a chance 

Crazy ? That is a discussion right ? I mean, you know that team better than me. Okay with that. Others needs ? yes, i agree. But crazy ? 1st i do not talk about taking a RB but a special one. Then i talk about the 5th team in the league in rushing yards. And, in that run-oriented offense Frank Gore is the one with the most rushing attempts. So, yes Singletary is fine and probably than a mid round pick (3-4) would be enough to pair with him. The reflection was on a team which likes so much to run and Gore probably out next year, only Singletary won't be enough so in a class with that much talent at the position, i don't think it is CRAZY to take a guy who can carry the load for the next 4-5 years. Especially with that WR class which is very very deep.

But as i started, this is just a discussion (and not a way to say i'm right/you wrong or something like that).

14 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Alright, Zappa my friend. Always enjoy the efforts. 

I have two scenarios for my Lions. 

Scenario A - Lions are likely going to lose out and probably in that #3 spot. They lost to Washington and the Giants/Dolphins/Redskins all have some games that somebody has to win. I'll come back to what you've actually laid out in scenario B. 

Lions at #3 - do the trade down with the Chargers for their new QB. Whether it's Herbert or Tua, there is some value there. 

9 - AJ Epenesa, DE, Iowa: Trey Flowers is showing flashes as the guy that the Lions signed after shaking off the rust due to injury. However, the rest of the DL has struggled. The Lions have not been able to put together a couple book ends at DE for a long time. Epenesa is another guy that is versatile and fits the scheme

39 - Terrell Lewis, OLB/Edge, Alabama: The Patriots and their ilk are big fans of the SEC. We've had major issues at rushing the passer and need an upgrade at LB. 

41 - Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama: The Lions need to get younger and deeper at CB. I'm not convinced that Slay is going to even be on the roster this time next year. Diggs fits with what they want in a variety of ways

Our offense hasn't been the issue at all, even with Stafford's injury. The defense needs an injection of life into it. All three guys could get playing time early but are also key pieces moving forward. 

Scenario B

Lions are sitting there at #7

#7 - Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama - This is a complete luxury pick but there is still some value here. Jeudy is probably WR1. Marvin Jones isn't getting any younger and the team has been its most successful with the offense. Jeudy is BPA here and really does round out the WR corp of Golladay, Marvin Jones, Danny Amendola and Marvin Hall. Okudah is a great player but the Patriots and Lions don't tend to take CB's high and start them as rookies with significant roles. It could be because the top guys are always taken near the top of the draft (and Patriots are usually selecting near the bottom). It could also be team building philosophy. They just don't do it and if you're taking a guy at #7, you're expecting him to have an instant impact. Unless he plays TE. Then you want to wait 3 years. 

#39 - Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia - Hall was projected to be a 1st round pick. He fits a lot of the qualities that the Lions look for. Slay is probably not going to be on the roster. So we'll need to address this at some point. I do like your pick of Wilson and I'd even be good with Prince as well. 

Keep rolling these out, my man. Always enjoy the thought provoking read.

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering...Bad run D, Robinson + Daniels being FAs : so what about Derrick Brown ?

39 minutes ago, zappa13004 said:

My bad for Von Miller, don't know why i was sure he would be FA at the end of that season. You right, he'll still be under contract. About Simmons, i saw Johnson playing well and happy for that guy who i once liked with UT and then not that much. Simmons is a different kind of animal with his cover skills and as i mentionned your division is full of efficient TEs. An LT would make sense, Bolles well...But will they give up on him yet ? But possible, okay.

Bolles will probably still me in the roster, but he will need to fight for the job. He had better games now under center, but still not enough. If Wirfs or Thomas fall to us in the 1st than I think it will be bye bye Bolles. But if we don't pick up a LT in the 1st, I bet with you it will be one on day 2. They won't exclude LTs from the board because of Bolles.

As for Simmons. Forget it. Elway is the GM since 2011 and have yet to pick a ILB this high. It won't be now with Johnson playing at high level and in a class full of talent in position of needs that he will pick one. Fangio has a mojo of training lesser guys to over their talent. I don't expect a ILB for Denver until late 3rd, possible only on day 3. 

Isaiah Simmons and Grant Delpit, two guys that keep showing in the mocks for Denver and I'm not afraid of saying: it wont happen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zappa13004 said:

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering...Bad run D, Robinson + Daniels being FAs : so what about Derrick Brown ?

A part of the issue with being bad at the run is we're even worse at rushing the passer. A part of that was only rushing 3 and dropping 8 on a consistent basis. Another part was that Flowers was shaking off the rust from injury. He also doesn't have a proper running mate. Okwara has regressed and is really more of a depth guy than the starter they were hoping for him to be. Not against Brown at all. 

• Like 1

pretty interesting trade for washington, I would probably accept it TBH, the 4th I would trade to sandiego would be the comp pick we shpuld be getting for crowder signing with the jets. I would however change the picks though, 

Wirfs will probably be a very talented tackle but..... I dont see him playing left tackle in the NFL, i see him as an awesome RT though,  pick 9 for the skins IMO would have to be either Delpit or Lamb if hes there, Lamb is not going before Jeudy

The 2nd round is where I would target a Tackle.... Adams, Prince, Throckmorton, one of those guys

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoganF89 said:

pretty interesting trade for washington, I would probably accept it TBH, the 4th I would trade to sandiego would be the comp pick we shpuld be getting for crowder signing with the jets. I would however change the picks though, 

Wirfs will probably be a very talented tackle but..... I dont see him playing left tackle in the NFL, i see him as an awesome RT though,  pick 9 for the skins IMO would have to be either Delpit or Lamb if hes there, Lamb is not going before Jeudy

The 2nd round is where I would target a Tackle.... Adams, Prince, Throckmorton, one of those guys

I think Jeudy will be the first WR drafted. The chemistry between Lamb and Murray could be a factor, that was the thought. I saw Wirfs play LT and RT with Iowa so who knows ? He looks like more of a RT though, you right.

On 12/12/2019 at 11:18 AM, zappa13004 said:

Crazy ? That is a discussion right ? I mean, you know that team better than me. Okay with that. Others needs ? yes, i agree. But crazy ? 

Yes, it's absolutely crazy. They have one of the best young RB prospects in the league and you think, with a huge amount of needs, they'll go RB round 1? I completely understand people don't know all teams in depth, but it's not hard to do a tiny bit of research 

For the Packers, Bryan Bulaga is the best player on the O line this year (usually it is LT Bakhtiari, but he has been playing dinged up most of the year), so he (Bulaga) is not 'washed up' and I'm expecting him to get a 3yr deal (for about $30m) from the Packers. This allows them to pursue their other major needs like DL, no.2 WR, ILB. They will also need another TE, since I fully expect Jimmy Graham and Marcedes Lewis to be gone, but it is a poor year for them, so I can't see a high pick there.

With Kenny Clark being the only notable guy on the D line, he needs help (and he was dinged up for most of this year, his play has jumped recently as he got fit again). Personally, I'd go for a 3-4 DL, WR, ILB in that order and fill in later with backups like RB, CB. NEXT year I'd chase RT. Rashard Lawrence, who you had going at #31, would be a solid substitute pick instead of an OT. I'd save using a high pick on RT until next year at least.

Your positional choice of a WR in round two was a good one. The Packers have a history of getting good WRs in round 2, like Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive