Anatomy of a Defensive Drive with Coverage Diagrams

AlexGreen#20

1st and 10 from the Giants 29:

gwSvoQQ.png

Show the Cover-2. Play the Cover-2. 

We're playing a man look underneath.  Nothing really complicated happens here.

Kaden Smith (the TE) just beats Ibraheim Campbell on a nice little out route (I forgot to put a yellow target circle. Jones throws him a nice ball. King comes off his man and makes a tackle.

+++

2nd and 3 from the Giants 36

3RYHdKl.png

Packers start out showing a Cover-4, before the TE goes in motion from right to left, at which point Martinez starts yelling at Savage to come down into the box.

3PZZtDw.png

Giants call a run here. They're looking to run off tackle. The goal is to make King tackle Barkley in space and they do a pretty good job of it. The WR on that side (who unfortunately you can't see) is going to get a nice block on Campbell who has outside contain on this play. 

Darnell Savage is a stud though, and shoots into the backfield unblocked and manages to get just enough of Barkley's shoelaces to get him down for a gain of only 1 yard. If he doesn't make this tackle, the only thing between Barkley and a huge gain is King in space. Which is not ideal.

+++

3rd and 2 from the Giants 37

qoVjnFq.png

We got a zone this time. Thank God Daniel Jones sucks.

The concept is to trap the safeties. The two safeties have to communicate who's going to take the receiver running the seam and who's going to take the receiver running the deep drag behind the linebackers. 

Amos is going to do the correct thing here and take the guy running the vertical and yell at Savage to pick up the drag man. Savage is going to leave the guy open and a good QB makes that throw, but Daniel Jones doesn't have the confidence to let that rip under some pressure from Z. Instead he's going to scramble out.

The play action is going to get Campbell biting hard. Alexander is going to take the outside Tight End who runs the corner route, but there's no one home to take the second TE (Kaden Smith) who blocks for a second and then runs the little out route as a checkdown for Jones who finds him. He ends up getting 12 yards before Martinez gets him down.

+++

1st and 10 from the Giants 49

9Xd3Orr.png

Show the Cover-1. Play the Cover-1.

Man to man coverage. 

King is gonna lock his guy up. Jaire is gonna play this really well right up until the end of the route where his guy gets a bit of space and Jones throws a really nice ball for a completion of 13 yards. Tramon though, is becoming a serious problem on deep ins out of the slot. This could have been a huge play.

h188Kln.png

+++

1st and 10 from the Packers 38

PsaRN8i.png

I think this is Cover-3, but it may be a situation that it's a Cover-6 hybrid and they're just letting Jaire do his own thing in man at the top of the screen.

PoeP0UY.png

They're looking to run off tackle here. This TE is being asked to keep Z from beating him across his face, when Z has been assigned to beat this man across his face. He doesn't do a good job, but he does just enough. He gets a good enough first step that Z decides to go up field and over rather than fighting with him. 

bAmhyR6.png

Beats him immediately.

Unfortunately, Lancaster gets beat almost as quickly, so there's a gap for Barkley to run through. Isn't this guy supposed to be a good run defender? He kinda sucks.

r24CWQF.png

This ends up being a gain of 4.

+++

2nd and 6 from the Packers 34

HIBPw5F.png

More Cover-1 Man. I hate this alignment, I don't know why Jaire needs to be 10 yards off the ball.

Kaden Smith is going to beat Amos on this out route, after blocking for a moment and Daniel Jones is going to reward him by throwing it to his feet, because Daniel Jones is terrible.

Speaking of terrible:

ugHXrar.png

I know what you're thinking, "AG20, you've already showed me this picture of Tramon getting burned on this crosser. What gives man?"

To which I will respond, "If you look closer, it's actually a different play. He got burned on the same route on back to back passing plays. After getting burned on that same route for a TD the week before."

+++

3rd and 6 from the Packers 34

h7wqnL8.png

More Cover-1 man.

The Giants are gonna run a set of man-beaters here.

On the top side, the goal is to create some kind of collision between Sullivan and Alexander to free up the receiver at the top of the screen. Sullivan never really is at the depth they need to pull that pick off. Alexander plays the slant like a champ and aided by a bad throw from Daniel Jones, knocks it away.

Tramon King and Campbell play the bunch formation action very well on the bottom of the screen.

+++

4th and 6 from the Packers 34

65FDeDu.png

We're playing the zone. They've got a zone-beater concept called up. 

Tramon, King, and Amos play this poorly. Either King needs to break from his zone responsibility and take the guy running the slant, while passing the corner route to Amos, or Tramon needs to surrender the guy running the corner sooner to either King or Amos much sooner and take over the slant. Neither happened, both King and Tramon ended up at the back of their zone with Amos right there also, and the slant went uncovered. This is a tough concept to cover if the offense knows you're running this coverage.

+++

cJa4B9T.png

I can't really tell if this is Cover-1 or Cover-3. I think it's man, but it's a run so I'm not at all positive.

UeIpo7Q.png

I'm going to do something that I rarely do and compliment Dean Lowry for a nice play. Clark and Lancaster both got killed on this play, and if Lancaster doesn't bust his *** hustling laterally this could have been a big run.

vIHpIMV.png

Clark gets blown off the ball as part of the combo block. Here's an Offensive Lineman in your lap Martinez, figure it out. Martinez actually does a nice job of holding his ground and keeping his gap arm free. Lancaster also gets blown off the ball and Campbell is the next winner of an Offensive lineman in his lap. 

All things considered, this could have been a ton worse if it weren't for Lowry.

+++

2nd and 6 from the Packers 21

zS26VUP.png 

More Cover-1 Man. This alignment sucks balls.

LNBHXRc.png

There's something to be said for having Campbell playing so far off Barkley as part of a coverage disguise. But as soon as the slot receiver goes in motion, Jones knows it's man. Campbell needs to step up. Having the guy covering Barkley in man coverage playing 8 yards off the ball is a crime. 

This is a real easy counter for the Giants, Barkley just escapes the pocket and turns around for a little screen pass. Kyler Fackrell is a damn hero for keeping this to only 3 yards.

+++

3rd and 3 from the Packers 18.

We're in the Redzone, so you know what time it is! Let's see that Cover-4

01B6bey.png

King just slips on the snow a bit and can't catch up on the stop and go. That's a tough way to end what was an otherwise very good drive for him.

The slot receiver is going to just run a little curl route to feel out the 2nd level zone assignments.

The TE is going to run a post route, just in case the Packers are changing it up and running a Cover-2 for the first time. The top receiver is blanketed by Jaire.

The Packers drop Preston and blitz Sullivan who is picked up immediately by Barkley.

This is a pretty good throw by Jones. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 7

This: ".....but there's no one home to take the second TE (Kaden Smith) who blocks for a second and then runs the little out route as a checkdown for Jones who finds him. He ends up getting 12 yards before Martinez gets him down."

Is probably a fairly standard ploy of most NFL offenses - but does it seem like we're particularly bad at catching / stopping it?

If I recall correctly, didnt Kittle use a similar technique and get deep on us? Or was that the DET TE?

1 minute ago, Leader said:

This: ".....but there's no one home to take the second TE (Kaden Smith) who blocks for a second and then runs the little out route as a checkdown for Jones who finds him. He ends up getting 12 yards before Martinez gets him down."

Is probably a fairly standard ploy of most NFL offenses - but does it seem like we're particularly bad at catching / stopping it?

If I recall correctly, didnt Kittle use a similar technique and get deep on us? Or was that the DET TE?

If you play zone defense, you're going to suck at play action. 

It pulls the linebackers out of their zones every time. 

Run the play action and throw to the slot WR/TE behind the LBs should be the foundation of the modern passing attack. Nobody's really got an answer for it.

+++

Kittle got deep on a blown Cover-4 cut. I don't remember the Lions play. 

• Like 1

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

If you play zone defense, you're going to suck at play action. 

It pulls the linebackers out of their zones every time. 

Run the play action and throw to the slot WR/TE behind the LBs should be the foundation of the modern passing attack. Nobody's really got an answer for it.

+++

Kittle got deep on a blown Cover-4 cut. I don't remember the Lions play. 

Okay. Not a problem. It may not have been the DET game - or been the TE - was wondering that myself as I typed it.
Thanks for the explanation and if nobody's got an answer for it yet.......oh well. Hope we can cope till somebody figures it out and we can copy it.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Okay. Not a problem. It may not have been the DET game - or been the TE - was wondering that myself as I typed it.
Thanks for the explanation and if nobody's got an answer for it yet.......oh well. Hope we can cope till somebody figures it out and we can copy it.

The most effective strategy anybody has been able to come up with so far is simply to guess right. You can affect how good you are at guessing with film and tendency study, and keeping down and distance under control, but it's just a foundational concept. 

So long as the defense requires linebackers to win a 4 yard footrace with offensive lineman in the case of a run, and backpedal ten yards in 1.5 seconds in case of a pass, they're screwed. 

It's one of the reasons I hate the idea of drafting linebackers early. They're dependent on the talent around then too an extent that other positions just aren't.

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

1st and 10 from the Giants 29:

We're playing a man look underneath.  Nothing really complicated happens here.

Kaden Smith (the TE) just beats Ibraheim Campbell on a nice little out route (I forgot to put a yellow target circle. Jones throws him a nice ball. King comes off his man and makes a tackle.

IRC They ran quite a bit of these quick outs and DJ threw a lot of them.

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

+++

3rd and 2 from the Giants 37

We got a zone this time. Thank God Daniel Jones sucks.

The concept is to trap the safeties. The two safeties have to communicate who's going to take the receiver running the seam and who's going to take the receiver running the deep drag behind the linebackers. 

Amos is going to do the correct thing here and take the guy running the vertical and yell at Savage to pick up the drag man. Savage is going to leave the guy open and a good QB makes that throw, but Daniel Jones doesn't have the confidence to let that rip under some pressure from Z. Instead he's going to scramble out.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.  If it weren't for a pass block breakdown this would have been a big play.  Sometimes Savage makes a great play with his aggression, sometimes he vacates his zone and has a guy running wide open.

+++

1st and 10 from the Giants 49

Show the Cover-1. Play the Cover-1.

Man to man coverage. 

King is gonna lock his guy up. Jaire is gonna play this really well right up until the end of the route where his guy gets a bit of space and Jones throws a really nice ball for a completion of 13 yards. Tramon though, is becoming a serious problem on deep ins out of the slot. This could have been a huge play.

IRC The play developed a bit slowly.  Tramon can still run kinda fast, but he can't change direction.  I don't know if we can put someone else here.  Maybe Put Jaire in the slot, Tramon on the boundary (He's been beat like this as well.) 

+++

Unfortunately, Lancaster gets beat almost as quickly, so there's a gap for Barkley to run through. Isn't this guy supposed to be a good run defender? He kinda sucks.

I think that's the narrative because Lancaster isn't good in pass rush, but for a big guy he does seem to be out of position a lot in the run game.

This ends up being a gain of 4.

+++

2nd and 6 from the Packers 34

HIBPw5F.png

More Cover-1 Man. I hate this alignment, I don't know why Jaire needs to be 10 yards off the ball.

Kaden Smith is going to beat Amos on this out route, after blocking for a moment and Daniel Jones is going to reward him by throwing it to his feet, because Daniel Jones is terrible.

Was this the play where the TE falls to the ground and gets back up.  I was surprised he still won after that.

+++

3rd and 6 from the Packers 34

4th and 6 from the Packers 34

We're playing the zone. They've got a zone-beater concept called up. 

Tramon, King, and Amos play this poorly. Either King needs to break from his zone responsibility and take the guy running the slant, while passing the corner route to Amos, or Tramon needs to surrender the guy running the corner sooner to either King or Amos much sooner and take over the slant. Neither happened, both King and Tramon ended up at the back of their zone with Amos right there also, and the slant went uncovered. This is a tough concept to cover if the offense knows you're running this coverage.

It's 4th and 6 so maybe it can be expected for King to make an aggressive play on his man.  That said, I think this is on Tramon, everyone else on defense was in "their" zone, except for Tramon, where the WR was wide open.

+++

2nd and 6 from the Packers 21

zS26VUP.png 

3rd and 3 from the Packers 18.

We're in the Redzone, so you know what time it is! Let's see that Cover-4

01B6bey.png

King just slips on the snow a bit and can't catch up on the stop and go. That's a tough way to end what was an otherwise very good drive for him.

The slot receiver is going to just run a little curl route to feel out the 2nd level zone assignments.

The TE is going to run a post route, just in case the Packers are changing it up and running a Cover-2 for the first time. The top receiver is blanketed by Jaire.

The Packers drop Preston and blitz Sullivan who is picked up immediately by Barkley.

This is a pretty good throw by Jones

I thought this was a bad/average throw vs bad coverage.  King almost caught back up because it was a bit underthrown.  I watched this play multiple times and others to see if other players had as much issues with their footing as king.  King just didn't trust his feet, and being his height he can't change direction to recover vs a smaller WR.  Every team playing us forward needs to run this play 5-10 times a game vs King, its a major weakness of him ( I think that is why we play off coverage so much, so he won't be put in this situation as much.)

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The most effective strategy anybody has been able to come up with so far is simply to guess right. You can affect how good you are at guessing with film and tendency study, and keeping down and distance under control, but it's just a foundational concept. 

So long as the defense requires linebackers to win a 4 yard footrace with offensive lineman in the case of a run, and backpedal ten yards in 1.5 seconds in case of a pass, they're screwed. 

It's one of the reasons I hate the idea of drafting linebackers early. They're dependent on the talent around then too an extent that other positions just aren't.

Would you say they are the WR's of the defense?  I look at a team like the Bills and they have 3 LB's that run 4.3/4.4 that really wreck things up.  

It's a lot harder for me to guess what our defense is doing vs what Dom Capers was going to do, not saying much though.

1 hour ago, waterfish_21 said:

Would you say they are the WR's of the defense?  I look at a team like the Bills and they have 3 LB's that run 4.3/4.4 that really wreck things up.  

It's a lot harder for me to guess what our defense is doing vs what Dom Capers was going to do, not saying much though.

They're the RBs of the defense