What if Mitch IS the guy?

Heinz D.

Might as well corral all conversation along these lines into one place.

@G08 described himself as a "unicorn" around these parts when it came to the sort of thinking I laid out in the title up there, but there have been some others who haven't given up all hope on Trubisky...including myself. Regardless of anyone's general mindset on this subject, I think most would agree we've had now four pretty darn good games from #10 in a row. If he finishes the year strong, we're then looking at about half a season of strong play, while also taking into account he had to overcome a fairly significant shoulder injury early on. So...what happens if it goes down like that?

--Pace and Nagy have to remain dedicated to Trubisky, even if it ends up costing them their jobs. 

They can't sign Dalton or (god forbid) Newton to a big contract and claim that the starting QB job will sort itself out in camp. They can't even bring someone like Mariotta in and claim he's just a backup. They can certainly try to upgrade from Chase Daniel, but WITH ANOTHER BACKUP CALIBER PLAYER. Draft a new QB, sure, but a purely developmental guy late in the draft. Unless some guy falls hard in the draft, I'm not even sure, offhand, who that QB should even be. But it needs to be a guy like that--maybe some talented dude from a smaller school, I suppose. 

Is this  a potentially dangerous move for the franchise? Yup. But whatever anyone's particular opinion is on Trubisky, I think most agree that his problems have been primarily mental, not physical. Physically, he has all the tools to succeed. It's what's between his ears that's been holding him back. 

So, while this may be a gamble, what other stuff does this do?

--Pace has the freedom to really capitalize on next year's draft.

This was discussed, in a slightly different manner in @WindyCity's thread: https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/23227-the-last-ride-of-mitch-trubisky-offseason/

Without QB being a big concern (or, at least proceeding that way), Pace can patch up all kinds of roster holes in the next off-season. He could draft both a tackle and a tight end in the second round. Heck, trade up for one of those positions. Maybe even trade Floyd and then trade up for another pass rusher. Assuming Trubisky is the starter is a boost for the team in that general sense. This could really bring one or two difference making players onto the club. And that's just enormous. Pace could solidify a Super Bowl type team--even if Trubisky turns out to be merely average. 

--The team retains continuity.

In Windy's "Last Ride" thread, most of the members posts came from a place of deep concern, with all things Bears sort of falling apart, and folks fearing the worst. So...a bunch of the contributors were calling for the majority of the coaching staff to be fired. What we're looking at now is a team on the rebound, and probably AT WORST an 8-8 record. At best, there's still a slim chance for a Wild Card inclusion in the playoffs. If I had got into my Time Travel-inator this morning and jumped to six weeks ago, and told you all the Bears might make the playoffs, you'd have laughed me back to the Tri-State Area. Continuity is essential to winning football. The Bears may have a shot at keeping the band together, so to speak. 

There are all sorts of ripples from assuming Mitchell is the guy...

• Like 2

I'm of the opinion Pace and Nagy are going to ride or die with Trubisky. Since that is the case, the smartest allocation of resources in the draft are to shore up the team. I think OL and TE must be addressed early, as well as corner and OLB. You can cut Prince Amukamara and think about throwing money at a Y TE in FA, and then draft a corner high in round 2.

The best thing offensively is continuing to have the playmakers grow together with Trubisky. If, heavy emphasis on the if, we fall flat on our face in 2020, you'll have a high pick in the finest round and you can draft your new QB there. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, G08 said:

I'm of the opinion Pace and Nagy are going to ride or die with Trubisky. Since that is the case, the smartest allocation of resources in the draft are to shore up the team. I think OL and TE must be addressed early, as well as corner and OLB. You can cut Prince Amukamara and think about throwing money at a Y TE in FA, and then draft a corner high in round 2.

The best thing offensively is continuing to have the playmakers grow together with Trubisky. If, heavy emphasis on the if, we fall flat on our face in 2020, you'll have a high pick in the finest round and you can draft your new QB there. 

I think the next three games are key. If Trubisky keeps ballin', Pace and Nagy don't have a whole lot of choice but to declare him the guy, IMO. 

But, seriously, that's fine. And you could maybe make that argument even if Trubisky ends up falling flat on his face next year. 

Personnel is the key reason behind those statements. Trubisky looks like he's going to work out. That frees up everything. And that first round pick becomes another position in '21...

The best thing for the Bears is if Mitch is good. Jumping back into the QB market is literally the worse thing they can do.

If Mitch can sustain his solid play as of late he should be the presumptive starter heading into next season. Sign Mariota as someone you can break glass in case of emergency and build the team around them.