What players do we keep

quiller

Right now it is clear Dallas is not very good we might or might not win the division with out really playing any better Philly and Washington just as bad so what do people want to see happen for next year.

Garret is gone but what about the players from last season and a play off win over Seattle and now the only people (players and coaches) who had any significant contribution last year who are not here now are Anthony Hitchins and Scott L

i started this after checking NFL stats we have a top 5 player in four of the main categories listed:

passing. Dak 1st

rush: Elliot 4th

Receiving: Coop 

tackles: Smith 1st

Quinn in top ten in sacks

so..    we have top performs in the game across the rooster but watching especially on D we don’t see this on the field.

do people think the stats are inflated false or do you think the players listed above are true top ten players at their position. I would also add the three OL Smith Martin Fitz and maybe even Collins and on D -DLaw and Jones in D as being at  pro bowl level

so is the problem with the second level players and we need a major make over

or

with the coaches and the players having just quit over the last 4-5 weeks

or you don’t think any player on this team is worth keeping

Edited by quiller

This is a big topic.  I'll throw out some random thoughts.

When is Tyron Smith's contract up?  Gotta think about drafting his replacement and cutting him loose as soon as you can.  Nothing personal.  It's business.  

I think Sean Lee is done.  Witten as well.  I would sign Jones but think about cutting loose Awuzie.  You don't hear Jones name too much and that is not a bad thing if you are a corner.  Awuzie, for the life of him, cannot locate the ball.

I would think about keeping DT Collins as well.  We have no talent at DT and he is solid.  Put it this way.  We are going to miss him if he is not resigned. 

27 minutes ago, Northland said:

When is Tyron Smith's contract up?  Gotta think about drafting his replacement and cutting him loose as soon as you can.  Nothing personal.  It's business.

He’s under contract through 2023, but we can cut/trade him as soon as next year for $8M cap savings, or more likely 2021 to save $10.5M.

Depending on where we pick in the draft next year- I’ve read it’s supposed to be the best OT class in a while- doing what the Eagles did this year and spending our first rounder on an OT and letting him develop on the bench for a year could make some sense. On a similar note, starting to think if McGovern ever starts for us, it could be at center.

16 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

He’s under contract through 2023, but we can cut/trade him as soon as next year for $8M cap savings, or more likely 2021 to save $10.5M.

Depending on where we pick in the draft next year- I’ve read it’s supposed to be the best OT class in a while- doing what the Eagles did this year and spending our first rounder on an OT and letting him develop on the bench for a year could make some sense. On a similar note, starting to think if McGovern ever starts for us, it could be at center.

It is a deep OT class.  I wouldn't be upset if we went OT.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Was really hoping Smith would have a Jason Peters esque career that just went on forever with top tier play. There's something to be said for drafting a younger guy that will be on the cheap for a few seasons

You talk about cutting or trading Tyron Smith , Cowboys should of done it at the trade deadline when the Jets were willing to trade Jamal Adams for smith or Martin. I spoke of that in earlier threads that the Cowboys offensive line is nowhere as good as it was 3 - 4 years ago. Too many injuries especially the players with hefty contracts. Hey having a premier safety in Adams and signing him to a long term contract would start help fixing the secondary. There are good offensive tackles coming out this year.

The Rams game showed me that we need to really improve the middle of our DL Woods had a great game and that obviously made a huge difference in both our run D and our pressure. I think this should be a priority as Woods has not been reliable this season.  My second area is OL as mentioned getting a replacement for smith ready in 2021 makes a lot of sense to me based on our salary cap situation.   We’re okay next year but that would help a lot in 2021 and on.  A better ball hawking tackling machine at safety as has been for years would be nice but I would not sacrifice much of what we have for it.  

Either way this up coming draft I see:

DL - Ol - safety -LB -CB - WR in that order

Quality  wise I always think going round 1 on DL over OL gets you more value the doing OL -DL.  For the same reason may have to switch Safery-LB

3 hours ago, cowboysdreamer said:

You talk about cutting or trading Tyron Smith , Cowboys should of done it at the trade deadline when the Jets were willing to trade Jamal Adams for smith or Martin. I spoke of that in earlier threads that the Cowboys offensive line is nowhere as good as it was 3 - 4 years ago. Too many injuries especially the players with hefty contracts. Hey having a premier safety in Adams and signing him to a long term contract would start help fixing the secondary. There are good offensive tackles coming out this year.

"If you guys would've JUST listened to me, we could've brilliantly traded our All-Pro left tackle + draft capital for a disgruntled DB in the middle of the season, instead of foolishly coming up with some sort of long-term exit strategy involving a properly groomed successor."

16 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

This Tyron Smith thing that keeps coming up makes me laugh.

Dude is 29, really good, and on one of the most team-friendly deals in the entire NFL.

Given all the valued contributors this team owes new contracts in the next 3-to-15 months, including a QB and WR that could go for $60M per year combined, one would think cutting down costs on the most expensive running game (OL + RB) of all time may be in play. I mean, why would you even pay your QB and his top two weapons 30-35% of the cap if they need the priciest offensive line in league history to produce? That doesn’t check out to me. Something’s gotta give.

It’s just speculation. A lot could go wrong in the next calendar year that would force our hands on Smith and/or Frederick. I don’t think letting go of either prior to 2020 should be in play. 2021, we’ll see.

QB: Prescott 
RB: Elliott | Pollard 
WR: Cooper | Gallup | D. Smith 
TE: Jarwin | Schultz
OT: T. Smith | L. Collins | Fleming | B. Knight
OG: Z. Martin | C. Williams | C. McGovern
C: Frederick | Looney

DE: D. Lawrence | R. Quinn | D. Armstrong, Jr. | J. Jackson
DT: A. Woods | M. Bennett | T. Hill 
LB: Vander Esch | J. Smith | J. Thomas | S. Lee 
CB: J. Lewis | C. Awuzie | A. Brown 
FS: X. Woods 
SS: D. Wilson 

K: Forbath (but would look to upgrade)
P: C. Jones
LS: L.P. Ladouceur 

Giving us needs at DT, CB, S, WR & TE. Wouldn't shy away from adding another DE, backup QB, RB.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

why would you even pay your QB and his top two weapons 30-35% of the cap if they need the priciest offensive line in league history to produce?

Ok, but why put an anchor around their neck rather than enable them?

Right Now, Tyron is the 9th highest paid LT and Frederick is the 10th paid C. The salary cap goes up every year and contracts get bigger. I just don't see an argument where getting rid of star players on team-friendly deals makes any sense. 

• Like 1