Week 2 GDT - In the land of Crab Cakes

brooks1957

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

100% facts, This will be the blueprint for the whole year until we become a legit threat in the passing game. This is no fault of Hue, teams know our deficiencies, they will continue to take away our strengths until we become better at these weaknesses.

Exactly, I think that's one big reason Kessler fell out of favor. If you can't challenge teams to cover the whole field, it's hard to be successful.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Honestly, it's a fair take.

You have a great D and are playing at home, but don't be surprised when you're wrong,. The kid hasn't flinched yet and can make some plays.

I certainly don't expect the Browns to win, but it wouldn't knock me off my seat if they did.

you have all right to be confident, Kizer def. does look capable, hope he keeps improving. however, as one of you mentioned, blueprint to beat rthe Browns will be to stop the run and ask Kizer to air it out. fortunately Ravens have a strong run stopping unit up front and certainly did improve in the secondary, so i have hope our D again covers the poorly excuse of an NFL offense we will put on the field.

The Ravens defense is qualitatively better than the steelers...

Schematically...they are also better.

I think the Ravens will get after kizer more so than the steelers based on the dynamic blitzes and spy calls they make with Eric Weddle and Tony Jefferson in the back end.

i think Kizer  throws more  INTs but also throws more TDs...

Ravens win by two field goals...

OK, I'll be the voice of reason.....The Browns Offense jells a little more this week......Kizer throws 2 picks, but also throw's for a TD and Rushes for another one. I think Terrance West Fumbles the ball twice, Flaco throw's 1 pick and looses 1 fumble on the sack and Peppers scores his first ST TD via a PR in the 2nd half....Browns edge the Ravens 21-20....of a surprising 6 sack day from Browns (Peppers 1, Shelton 1, Ogbah 2, Holmes 1 and Collins 1)

Ratbird's Offense is nothing like the squeelers. I think if our D plays solid Kizer can put us in a position to win. He just needs to get rid of that ball. His count needs to be under 4 seconds. If he holds onto it any longer, he's going to take 5+ sacks again. I don't think he throws 2 or 3 INTs but I think they will get him for one. My hope is our running game gets going easier and we can pound the rock for an easy W. 

Kool aid prediction - 24 to 17 Browns. 

What will probably happen? - 20 to 16 Ratbirds 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

The Ravens defense is qualitatively better than the steelers...

Schematically...they are also better.

I think the Ravens will get after kizer more so than the steelers based on the dynamic blitzes and spy calls they make with Eric Weddle and Tony Jefferson in the back end.

i think Kizer  throws more  INTs but also throws more TDs...

Ravens win by two field goals...

Sounds about right.

If Flacco plays like last week, we have a chance.

What we don't want to do, but usually do is have a lot of horizontal runs and passes behind the line of scrimmage. The Raven D does sort of the same thing our D did last week and even with the Steelers' weapons they couldn't get anything going with those short passes and Bell dancing. You have to attack beyond 10 yards from the LOS in the passing game and go full speed ahead in the running game and whatever happens happens. I don't think that is what we do, I think we play into the Ravens strength and it fails miserably. Ravens win 17-6

If Hue surprising me, anything can happen so I'll just guess 84-0 Browns.

Game Thoughts & Predictions:  

This week is a perfect microcosm of why the week to week play-scheme dynamics and situational complexities of each game make the fight. It's going to be a clash of styles and ultimately how we can stress the Ravens defense in similar ways as we did the Steelers; thereby attacking their Weaknesses, but doing so in a scheme diverse way that they cannot perfectly prepare for by watching the Steelers tape.

The underlying chess match between offense and defense this week is truly why I love football.

In a stroke of happenstance, we played the Steelers and not the Ravens first; however, the game plan that we need to win on offense is the exact game plan that we implemented against the Steelers. That is, the Ravens weakness on defense is the vertical passing game. 4 vertical routes can undo them, especially if the inside rush can be handled. They have to keep things in front of them to become deadly.

That's ultimately why I think that if we played the Ravens first given our Offensive game plan in week 1; we would've won.

There is no better Safety tandem than Weddle (even at his age) and Jefferson in controlling and disrupting throws within the hashes 20 yards and in to the LOS. Weddle still possesses elite quickness due to uncanny instincts between the hashes and paired with a solid TE and run defending SS in Jefferson; the two of them can only be beaten when their forced to range.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: How do the Ravens react to what they saw from our O week 1?

Answer: They'll probably use a defense similar to us week 1 with one major difference: They'll align Weddle on outside of the deep boundary hash and press Jefferson right a little deeper than the LBs on the inside Hash toward the side of Corey Coleman..

What can we do to beat it?:  It all starts with JC Tretter and Bitonio's ability to handle the inside rush. Beyond that, this game screams David Njoku and TE immediate vertical routes as decoys or as Bill Walsh used to say "Busy work and phantom movement for playmaking safeties."

If we don't train Weddle's eyes toward busy work by pressing him vertically with a big bodied speed threat...he will figure out the eye and progression rhythm of the QB (scary thing is Jefferson has this ability and can fill and replace if Weddle has to align in the slot).

With all that said, CJ Mosley is the true master piece on their chess board. With Weddle's declining athleticism, he is a force in pass disruption. It will be important to not only give Weddle and Jefferson "Busy Work" but Duke Johnson is going to need to wear down Mosley with moving checkdowns (speed in routes) instead of just sitting down in the zone..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Score: Browns 24 ---- Ravens 28

Deshone Kizer's Stats: 24-40 332 yards; 3TDs (2 pass; 1 run); 2 INTs; 1 FF (Suggs); 4 sacks (2 on him; 2 on Wrs)

Deshone Kizer's play notes: Deshone misses on a few deep balls and reverts to poor footwork and inaccuraciesunder duress from a sound defense. He still flashes WOW throws and takes another jump in terms of late game decision making. Again, the WRs let him down with drops and the inability to get open that ultimately costs us the game.

Offensive Highlights: David Njoku will catch 3 passes for 74 yards. Two of which will be on vertical routes after running decoy seam routes for the first two quarters. Kizer has a mean pump fake that may catch the aggressiveness of Weddle for a moment allowing Njoku to get behind the defense for a big 45 yards or so TD.

Defensive Highlights: Trevon Coley has a break out game in run defense. Jamie Collins has an INT and FF. Ogbah shows us something with 3 QB pressures (no sacks)

Low-lights: Things that will have us concerned going forward

• WRs can't get open and finish plays causing Kizer to take some sacks.
  • Ricardo Louis still has drop issues.
  • Pass rush still doesn't have the juice without Myles and people start realizing how Ogbah is still a long way away from being a weekly impact force in terms of edge rush.
  • Isaiah Crowell has a critical fumble and misses some wide open cut backs.
  • Hue goes away from the run in the second half with good play calls that don't hit leaving the running game a non-factor and our play calling predictable going down the stretch in the 4th quarter.

59 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Game Thoughts & Predictions:  

This week is a perfect microcosm of why the week to week play-scheme dynamics and situational complexities of each game make the fight. It's going to be a clash of styles and ultimately how we can stress the Ravens defense in similar ways as we did the Steelers; thereby attacking their Weaknesses, but doing so in a scheme diverse way that they cannot perfectly prepare for by watching the Steelers tape.

The underlying chess match between offense and defense this week is truly why I love football.

In a stroke of happenstance, we played the Steelers and not the Ravens first; however, the game plan that we need to win on offense is the exact game plan that we implemented against the Steelers. That is, the Ravens weakness on defense is the vertical passing game. 4 vertical routes can undo them, especially if the inside rush can be handled. They have to keep things in front of them to become deadly.

That's ultimately why I think that if we played the Ravens first given our Offensive game plan in week 1; we would've won.

There is no better Safety tandem than Weddle (even at his age) and Jefferson in controlling and disrupting throws within the hashes 20 yards and in to the LOS. Weddle still possesses elite quickness due to uncanny instincts between the hashes and paired with a solid TE and run defending SS in Jefferson; the two of them can only be beaten when their forced to range.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: How do the Ravens react to what they saw from our O week 1?

Answer: They'll probably use a defense similar to us week 1 with one major difference: They'll align Weddle on outside of the deep boundary hash and press Jefferson right a little deeper than the LBs on the inside Hash toward the side of Corey Coleman..

What can we do to beat it?:  It all starts with JC Tretter and Bitonio's ability to handle the inside rush. Beyond that, this game screams David Njoku and TE immediate vertical routes as decoys or as Bill Walsh used to say "Busy work and phantom movement for playmaking safeties."

If we don't train Weddle's eyes toward busy work by pressing him vertically with a big bodied speed threat...he will figure out the eye and progression rhythm of the QB (scary thing is Jefferson has this ability and can fill and replace if Weddle has to align in the slot).

With all that said, CJ Mosley is the true master piece on their chess board. With Weddle's declining athleticism, he is a force in pass disruption. It will be important to not only give Weddle and Jefferson "Busy Work" but Duke Johnson is going to need to wear down Mosley with moving checkdowns (speed in routes) instead of just sitting down in the zone..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Score: Browns 24 ---- Ravens 28

Deshone Kizer's Stats: 24-40 332 yards; 3TDs (2 pass; 1 run); 2 INTs; 1 FF (Suggs); 4 sacks (2 on him; 2 on Wrs)

Deshone Kizer's play notes: Deshone misses on a few deep balls and reverts to poor footwork and inaccuraciesunder duress from a sound defense. He still flashes WOW throws and takes another jump in terms of late game decision making. Again, the WRs let him down with drops and the inability to get open that ultimately costs us the game.

Offensive Highlights: David Njoku will catch 3 passes for 74 yards. Two of which will be on vertical routes after running decoy seam routes for the first two quarters. Kizer has a mean pump fake that may catch the aggressiveness of Weddle for a moment allowing Njoku to get behind the defense for a big 45 yards or so TD.

Defensive Highlights: Trevon Coley has a break out game in run defense. Jamie Collins has an INT and FF. Ogbah shows us something with 3 QB pressures (no sacks)

Low-lights: Things that will have us concerned going forward

• WRs can't get open and finish plays causing Kizer to take some sacks.
  • Ricardo Louis still has drop issues.
  • Pass rush still doesn't have the juice without Myles and people start realizing how Ogbah is still a long way away from being a weekly impact force in terms of edge rush.
  • Isaiah Crowell has a critical fumble and misses some wide open cut backs.
  • Hue goes away from the run in the second half with good play calls that don't hit leaving the running game a non-factor and our play calling predictable going down the stretch in the 4th quarter.

Ok I will guarentee you that the Brown will not put up 24 points on the Ravens defense.. The Ravens defense is so much better than the Steelers on every level.

The Ravens only blitzed twice vs the Bengals while playing mostly dime. The Ravens defense can pressure without blitzing and their secondary is one of the best in the game..

Ravens 24

Browns 6

2 hours ago, RayLew52 said:

Ok I will guarentee you that the Brown will not put up 24 points on the Ravens defense.. The Ravens defense is so much better than the Steelers on every level.

The Ravens only blitzed twice vs the Bengals while playing mostly dime. The Ravens defense can pressure without blitzing and their secondary is one of the best in the game..

Ravens 24

Browns 6

Well you just play what was probably the worst offensive line in the NFL. The Browns O-Line didn't perform great week 1 but it was a lot more effective than the Bengals I bet (I didn't watch that game). We may only score 6 but you can't guarantee we won't score 24 because of the Bengals offensive line and Dalton's 5 turnovers. If the Ravens offense doesn't pick it up and the Browns don't turn the ball over we won't need anything near 24 points to win anyway. 10 would probably do it.

Who makes the schedules, honestly. A rebuilding team that needs all the help they can get starts off against the Steelers and the Ravens back to back, huh? Brilliant thank you NFL.

Anyways, this game scares me from a standpoint of it could really wreck Kizer. The Ravens D is no joke who are better than the Steelers at actually forcing turnovers from your mistakes in the passing game. They are also are as elite as it gets from the run stopping perspective...and its in Baltimore. 

I dont know what to really expect besides the run game to be shut down and the Ravens will make Kizer throw a bunch to beat them and this game turns out a little uglier than last weeks.

35 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Who makes the schedules, honestly. A rebuilding team that needs all the help they can get starts off against the Steelers and the Ravens back to back, huh? Brilliant thank you NFL.

Anyways, this game scares me from a standpoint of it could really wreck Kizer. The Ravens D is no joke who are better than the Steelers at actually forcing turnovers from your mistakes in the passing game. They are also are as elite as it gets from the run stopping perspective...and its in Baltimore. 

I dont know what to really expect besides the run game to be shut down and the Ravens will make Kizer throw a bunch to beat them and this game turns out a little uglier than last weeks.

Yeah running lanes will be hard to come by. I think we schemed our self out of a competent running attack against the Steelers, if we try those same runs it will end up at 1.8 per carry. Obviously Tretter will have to hold his ground better to have anything work on the ground but hopefully a boot in his *** this week (or whatever motivates him) will help him and the running game. We need to get something out of the running game, even if it's 3 yards per pop that still sets us up to 2nd and 7 or 3rd and 4 which are manageable. We can't lose yards in the run game or the pass game (besides sacks, those are gonna happen). If we lose trying to win I'm okay with that. If we lose because our game plan was centered around trying to hit big gains by beating the Ravens behind the LOS then we deserve to lose. I'm not asking for bombs but we need to keep the defense honest and to win Kizer needs to be a little better.

Archived