Week 2 GDT - In the land of Crab Cakes

brooks1957

9 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah running lanes will be hard to come by. I think we schemed our self out of a competent running attack against the Steelers, if we try those same runs it will end up at 1.8 per carry. Obviously Tretter will have to hold his ground better to have anything work on the ground but hopefully a boot in his *** this week (or whatever motivates him) will help him and the running game. We need to get something out of the running game, even if it's 3 yards per pop that still sets us up to 2nd and 7 or 3rd and 4 which are manageable. We can't lose yards in the run game or the pass game (besides sacks, those are gonna happen). If we lose trying to win I'm okay with that. If we lose because our game plan was centered around trying to hit big gains by beating the Ravens behind the LOS then we deserve to lose. I'm not asking for bombs but we need to keep the defense honest and to win Kizer needs to be a little better.

Agreed, there were far too many times last week where I went to get a beer from the fridge on 1st and 10 and come back and its 2nd and 16. Wheather that be a penalty, sack or stuffed run, there were just far too many times where the Browns were in a obvious long passing situation from going backwards. That needs to stop. A lot of it has to do with changing up your 1st and 10 plays.

Remember the Romeo would ALWAYS run it straight up the middle on 1st and 2nd downs. It was so predictable and so boring I think there needs to be a better scheme against the run. Watch the Bears with Dowell Loggins for instance with Jordan Howard. They run like exotic run plays with all of these tackles and guards pulling and counter plays all over the place that keeps defenses on the heels and opens up easy running lanes.

I think its up to the coaching to be better play callers and maybe try something other than HB Dives on 1st and 10 to keep the sparks coming. Granted, since we have the most expensive offensive line in the NFL, they should be able to bulldoze their way downfield on anybody. Its kinda shocking how much the pocket collapsed and the run game had no hole to run considering how much we invested in the line.

I've always been a fan of a power run game, but it's on Crow to make plays sometimes. He's gotta bounce it out more often when things get congested or just sweep right off the bat in some of those shotgun snaps. He's got the speed to do it. I'd like to use more of Cincy's run playbook with a few zone cutbacks. 

Regardless, Brandon Williams is dominant. Best bet is to attack Judon/Tim Williams. I've always liked Zadarius but it looks like he'll be out. If we play it safe and stick with the run Suggs may tire as well. They may move Williams around just gotta attack where he isn't. Force them to move Williams around, then hopefully get the safeties cheating. Take shots downfield, because short stuff they are good at getting tips. Mosely is so good in the middle of the field. So launch it deep often or just keep taking the sacks/scramble. The CBs are good but Coleman will still be able to get deep.

Defensively, Jensen looks like their Austin Pasztor or Cam Erving. Gotta attack the middle and give a bunch of looks trying to get some picks on crossers to TE's and throws to the RBs. 

5 hours ago, matt27j said:

I've always been a fan of a power run game, but it's on Crow to make plays sometimes. He's gotta bounce it out more often when things get congested or just sweep right off the bat in some of those shotgun snaps. He's got the speed to do it. I'd like to use more of Cincy's run playbook with a few zone cutbacks. 

Regardless, Brandon Williams is dominant. Best bet is to attack Judon/Tim Williams. I've always liked Zadarius but it looks like he'll be out. If we play it safe and stick with the run Suggs may tire as well. They may move Williams around just gotta attack where he isn't. Force them to move Williams around, then hopefully get the safeties cheating. Take shots downfield, because short stuff they are good at getting tips. Mosely is so good in the middle of the field. So launch it deep often or just keep taking the sacks/scramble. The CBs are good but Coleman will still be able to get deep.

Defensively, Jensen looks like their Austin Pasztor or Cam Erving. Gotta attack the middle and give a bunch of looks trying to get some picks on crossers to TE's and throws to the RBs. 

It is on Crow to make some plays. Last year he was extremely decisive and burst through running lanes for chunk gains. Last week he didnt show that decisive burst at all. He pitter pattered behind the LOS like Trent Richardson and looked super indecisive when there was holes there. Also, I dont think it help much that he ranks in the bottom of starting runningbacks in broken tackles.

I wish he has a little more tackle shedding ability for 3 down running back and can make something out of nothing by pure talent like Bell, Zeke, Johnson and rookie Gurley did. If the running game is average this year--I wouldnt be upset at all to see the Browns select Saquon Barkley in the top 7 with our pick or the Texans. He seems like a guy who can make a whole lotta defenders miss and has great vision to make something out of nothing behind the highest paid OL in the NFL.

On 9/13/2017 at 4:47 PM, RayLew52 said:

Ok I will guarentee you that the Brown will not put up 24 points on the Ravens defense.. The Ravens defense is so much better than the Steelers on every level.

The Ravens only blitzed twice vs the Bengals while playing mostly dime. The Ravens defense can pressure without blitzing and their secondary is one of the best in the game..

Ravens 24

Browns 6

Well, we lost by three to the Steelers, and the Steelers are better than you, so I predict a win.  I'll say 24-6.

On 9/13/2017 at 6:47 PM, RayLew52 said:

Ok I will guarentee you that the Brown will not put up 24 points on the Ravens defense.. The Ravens defense is so much better than the Steelers on every level.

The Ravens only blitzed twice vs the Bengals while playing mostly dime. The Ravens defense can pressure without blitzing and their secondary is one of the best in the game..

Ravens 24

Browns 6

I will counter with the Browns O-Line is much better than the Bengals on every level.

I'm wondering how you think the Ravens are going to score 24 points vs this defense.....outside of your defense scoring a couple of times, I don't see it with Flacco's shoulder still recovering. We held the Steelers offense to 14 points and that was in large part to them having Brown bail them out. This isn't the same defense as last year, I don't see running backs easily rushing for a 100 yard every game and our safeties/corners missed out on a few possible INTs. This is a young defense that will improve every game most likely....especially once Garrett returns.

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

It is on Crow to make some plays. Last year he was extremely decisive and burst through running lanes for chunk gains. Last week he didnt show that decisive burst at all. He pitter pattered behind the LOS like Trent Richardson and looked super indecisive when there was holes there. Also, I dont think it help much that he ranks in the bottom of starting runningbacks in broken tackles.

I wish he has a little more tackle shedding ability for 3 down running back and can make something out of nothing by pure talent like Bell, Zeke, Johnson and rookie Gurley did. If the running game is average this year--I wouldnt be upset at all to see the Browns select Saquon Barkley in the top 7 with our pick or the Texans. He seems like a guy who can make a whole lotta defenders miss and has great vision to make something out of nothing behind the highest paid OL in the NFL.

A top flight running back really would make a huge difference. There were three obvious plays that would've gone for 10+ just by decisively going outside. He was a beast against washington, and around the goal line he gets in. Most of the time however he decides to kind of get low and kind of dive for an extra couple yards (which is a good tactic most of the time) or stay north and south in a pile for maybe an extra yard rather than trying to pop it out for a chance at a big gain. One time against PIT he HAD to pop it out and he was able to get around Shazier I believe for a nice chunk. He's just gotta believe he can do that whenever he wants, even against good run defenses. Definitely not a dancer but he's got more power than he typically uses and it usually only shows around the GL. He's got great speed too.

Looking at last years schedule it featured mostly very good run defenses, and we had no passing game. He produced well against the teams he should have however and against Bal. Cinci games we were down n out. Can't accurately judge him with how the pass game has been. Either the defense sets it up so he can bust some big ones in the 4th or the passing game takes the attention off of him. 

Thank goodness for Williams. He's going to end up being both a safety valve and jump ball playmaker starting probably this week. Doesn't seem like Kizer or coach have confidence in Britt. Louis is developing well but Williams just gives me a good feeling. 

Just a couple more days...

3 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Well, we lost by three to the Steelers, and the Steelers are better than you, so I predict a win.  I'll say 24-6.

The steelers offense is better, the ravens D is better, its hard to say really that one is better than the other this year.  Either way, 13 - 6 bad guys.

17 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

The steelers offense is better, the ravens D is better, its hard to say really that one is better than the other this year.  Either way, 13 - 6 bad guys.

Ill say 20-10 Ravens. There is no way on the road I see this offense against that defense putting up more than 13.

I see a bunch of FG drives by both teams and 1 deep bomb by Mike Wallace that turns out to be the decider. 

20 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

I agree that the Steelers have the better offense and the Ravens have the better defense but the Steelers defense is way better than the Raven offense and I think the Steeler offense is better than the Raven defense so I definitely think the Steelers are better.

On 9/13/2017 at 7:47 PM, RayLew52 said:

Ravens 24

Browns 6

I guess they don't have spell check in Baltimore.

I hear the Ratbird fans crowing about the "great defensive game" they played Sunday.......... Check it at the door fellas - this was against a team that has failed to score a touchdown in EIGHT QUARTERS of football - and just fired their offensive coordinator.........

May I remind you that we had you down 20-0 last year, and the only reason you were allowed to come back in that game was because of the pacifist we had running the defense who is no longer here?

No way on God's green earth Gregg Williams lets that atrocity happen again. Earlier in the week, I picked the Browns to win 28-13. And now, I am reaffirming that choice, and doubling down - Browns with the W on Sunday

Archived