Week 2 GDT - In the land of Crab Cakes

brooks1957

1 hour ago, brooks1957 said:

I guess they don't have spell check in Baltimore.

I hear the Ratbird fans crowing about the "great defensive game" they played Sunday.......... Check it at the door fellas - this was against a team that has failed to score a touchdown in EIGHT QUARTERS of football - and just fired their offensive coordinator.........

May I remind you that we had you down 20-0 last year, and the only reason you were allowed to come back in that game was because of the pacifist we had running the defense who is no longer here?

No way on God's green earth Gregg Williams lets that atrocity happen again. Earlier in the week, I picked the Browns to win 28-13. And now, I am reaffirming that choice, and doubling down - Browns with the W on Sunday

To play devil's advocate, its not like the Bengals were playing slouch defenses in either game, although the Texans D was hobbling.

Its nice to see the Browns finally cashing in on some of those high draft picks. The team is definitely going to be competitive this year, which is good for the AFCN and the NFL. While I like how the team is coming together, I dont see them being able to come into Baltimore and steal a win with a rookie QB making his 2nd career start, but stranger things have happened. . Best of luck and lets hope for a injury free game. Ravens 24- Browns-10

I think we'll lose but also make some plays. 

I was telling my coworker as long as everyone important stays healthy this will be the toughest game of the year

away at Baltimore 

their first home game 

rookie only in 2nd start

against probably the best or at worst top 3 defense we will play all year

this will be our toughest challenge. Everything from here is more manageable. These first two loses will build the character and confidence to get the wins against our other opponents 

50 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I think we'll lose but also make some plays. 

I was telling my coworker as long as everyone important stays healthy this will be the toughest game of the year

away at Baltimore 

their first home game 

rookie only in 2nd start

against probably the best or at worst top 3 defense we will play all year

this will be our toughest challenge. Everything from here is more manageable. These first two loses will build the character and confidence to get the wins against our other opponents 

Do or die game for Kizer

:D

On 9/13/2017 at 6:42 PM, Mind Character said:

Game Thoughts & Predictions:  

This week is a perfect microcosm of why the week to week play-scheme dynamics and situational complexities of each game make the fight. It's going to be a clash of styles and ultimately how we can stress the Ravens defense in similar ways as we did the Steelers; thereby attacking their Weaknesses, but doing so in a scheme diverse way that they cannot perfectly prepare for by watching the Steelers tape.

The underlying chess match between offense and defense this week is truly why I love football.

In a stroke of happenstance, we played the Steelers and not the Ravens first; however, the game plan that we need to win on offense is the exact game plan that we implemented against the Steelers. That is, the Ravens weakness on defense is the vertical passing game. 4 vertical routes can undo them, especially if the inside rush can be handled. They have to keep things in front of them to become deadly.

That's ultimately why I think that if we played the Ravens first given our Offensive game plan in week 1; we would've won.

There is no better Safety tandem than Weddle (even at his age) and Jefferson in controlling and disrupting throws within the hashes 20 yards and in to the LOS. Weddle still possesses elite quickness due to uncanny instincts between the hashes and paired with a solid TE and run defending SS in Jefferson; the two of them can only be beaten when their forced to range.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: How do the Ravens react to what they saw from our O week 1?

Answer: They'll probably use a defense similar to us week 1 with one major difference: They'll align Weddle on outside of the deep boundary hash and press Jefferson right a little deeper than the LBs on the inside Hash toward the side of Corey Coleman..

What can we do to beat it?:  It all starts with JC Tretter and Bitonio's ability to handle the inside rush. Beyond that, this game screams David Njoku and TE immediate vertical routes as decoys or as Bill Walsh used to say "Busy work and phantom movement for playmaking safeties."

If we don't train Weddle's eyes toward busy work by pressing him vertically with a big bodied speed threat...he will figure out the eye and progression rhythm of the QB (scary thing is Jefferson has this ability and can fill and replace if Weddle has to align in the slot).

With all that said, CJ Mosley is the true master piece on their chess board. With Weddle's declining athleticism, he is a force in pass disruption. It will be important to not only give Weddle and Jefferson "Busy Work" but Duke Johnson is going to need to wear down Mosley with moving checkdowns (speed in routes) instead of just sitting down in the zone..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Score: Browns 24 ---- Ravens 28

Deshone Kizer's Stats: 24-40 332 yards; 3TDs (2 pass; 1 run); 2 INTs; 1 FF (Suggs); 4 sacks (2 on him; 2 on Wrs)

Deshone Kizer's play notes: Deshone misses on a few deep balls and reverts to poor footwork and inaccuraciesunder duress from a sound defense. He still flashes WOW throws and takes another jump in terms of late game decision making. Again, the WRs let him down with drops and the inability to get open that ultimately costs us the game.

Offensive Highlights: David Njoku will catch 3 passes for 74 yards. Two of which will be on vertical routes after running decoy seam routes for the first two quarters. Kizer has a mean pump fake that may catch the aggressiveness of Weddle for a moment allowing Njoku to get behind the defense for a big 45 yards or so TD.

Defensive Highlights: Trevon Coley has a break out game in run defense. Jamie Collins has an INT and FF. Ogbah shows us something with 3 QB pressures (no sacks)

Low-lights: Things that will have us concerned going forward

• WRs can't get open and finish plays causing Kizer to take some sacks.
  • Ricardo Louis still has drop issues.
  • Pass rush still doesn't have the juice without Myles and people start realizing how Ogbah is still a long way away from being a weekly impact force in terms of edge rush.
  • Isaiah Crowell has a critical fumble and misses some wide open cut backs.
  • Hue goes away from the run in the second half with good play calls that don't hit leaving the running game a non-factor and our play calling predictable going down the stretch in the 4th quarter.

Watched the full Bengals game...it's changed my mind about some things...tony jefferson and cj mosley are so smart in working together when it comes to zone replacing...their team runs so many phantom blitzes to push the Qb's adjustment right into a trap....

It takes serious understanding not to fall for their cover 6 to cover 2 traps...it could give rough for Kizer if he can't see 2 moves ahead..or always check to a run...

Thought it was going to be a big test after seeing their phantom adjustments, traps, and misdirection against the Bengals...it's  going to be even rougher for a rookie to pass this test...

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Watched the full Bengals game...it's changed my mind about some things...tony jefferson and cj mosley are so smart in working together when it comes to zone replacing...their team runs so many phantom blitzes to push the Qb's adjustment right into a trap....

It takes serious understanding not to fall for their cover 6 to cover 2 traps...it could give rough for Kizer if he can't see 2 moves ahead..or always check to a run...

Thought it was going to be a big test after seeing their phantom adjustments, traps, and misdirection against the Bengals...it's  going to be even rougher for a rookie to pass this test...

So, new score prediction?  I am sticking to 13 to 6.  I see the same struggles for Kizer that you do now, and think we will scrape together a couple of field goals, but not reach the end zone.  I think our D will be very stout against the Ravens though and they will struggle almost as much as we do, difference being they will get a TD, possibly off of a short field after turn over.

Archived