Have the Wilfs been our best owners ever?

y*so*blu

Have the Wilfs been our best owners ever?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Remains to be seen

I'm not an expert on the history of the Vikings' front office, but everybody likes them. They seem to be upstanding citizens who don't put their feet in their mouths or create distractions for the team. I remember some people grumbling about Zygi at the time he came along because he was a known quantity (in $ terms) but an unknown quality, and you never know what to expect when a foreign billionaire waltzes in and buys your team. But since then, I've heard nothing but good things about him and his family's ownership of the Vikings. What's your take?

• Like 1

They have been great as owners of the team.  Everything from getting a stadium built, to the new practice facility in Eagan, MN.  They did go through a slight learning curve in figuring out how to pick out a good head coach when they started, but I think they have gotten better at that too.  Chilly was a dud, and then they treaded water for a while with Leslie Frazier, before finally getting it right with Mike Zimmer.  I also think they picked a good one in Rick Spielman after getting through the whole "triangle of authority" thing.  Watching the Wilfs' progression through the years has taught me that there is a learning curve when it comes to being a good owner, just like being a good GM, coach, or player.  After some trial and error at the beginning, they have done a very good job. 

Another great thing about them is that they have shown a commitment to winning, and they are willing to spend money in that pursuit.  Not much more you can ask than that as a fan of the team.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

They have been great as owners of the team.  Everything from getting a stadium built, to the new practice facility in Eagan, MN.  They did go through a slight learning curve in figuring out how to pick out a good head coach when they started, but I think they have gotten better at that too.  Chilly was a dud, and then they treaded water for a while with Leslie Frazier, before finally getting it right with Mike Zimmer.  I also think they picked a good one in Rick Spielman after getting through the whole "triangle of authority" thing.  Watching the Wilfs' progression through the years has taught me that there is a learning curve when it comes to being a good owner, just like being a good GM, coach, or player.  After some trial and error at the beginning, they have done a very good job. 

Another great thing about them is that they have shown a commitment to winning, and they are willing to spend money in that pursuit.  Not much more you can ask than that as a fan of the team.

I feel like Childress was seen as a pretty good here at the time

It's nice that they aren't constantly making changes at head coach but are willing to make a change if they feel that it's needed

the first thing the Wilfs did when they bought the team and then surveyed the facilities was to hire a local carpentry crew to fix up and paint the decaying long boat at the entrance to the facility. probably cost them $2000 or less.

Red McBastard was too cheap to have cared.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

the first thing the Wilfs did when they bought the team and then surveyed the facilities was to hire a local carpentry crew to fix up and paint the decaying long boat at the entrance to the facility. probably cost them $2000 or less.

Red McBastard was too cheap to have cared.

It sure would've been nice for a guy who has been pretty charitable over his life to help out his team once in a while..

17 hours ago, KOTN-93 said:

Waluigi is definitly the best of my lifetime cant speak for pre 90s ownership though

You didn't miss anything with the "Gang of Ten", led by Max Headroom...or was that Roger Headrick?  Is there a difference?  ;)

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1