REASONS FOR OPTIMISM-DEFENSE

TheOnlyThing

34 minutes ago, Golfman said:

An average #2 CB is a JAG by definition. That means there are at least 40 guys better than you at your position. 

I sure do hope he's turned a corner because he's got a skill set that we need to play like that on a consistent basis. Get him playing like that regularly and we are a much better defense. Especially when you see K Clark dominating again in the interior. 

Go back to my original post in this thread! I was spot on! 

A JAG isn't an average starter. A JAG is a guy you can replace with a street free agent without a noticeable drop off.

Lancaster, Goodson, and whoever we've got at our Dime DB spot on a given week are JAGs. Lowry isn't even a JAG.

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Golfman said:

We could sign someone off the street to play as well as Kevin King has for a good part of this year. The difference is that guy would probably not be capable of the game he played last night. If you go back and read my original post in this thread I think it is pretty clear. 

Oh, you're just grossly misevaluating King as a player.

Miscommunication cleared up.

Just now, Norm said:

I'm going to keep saying King sucks though. He plays better the more I say it. 

The truth is he did suck for a good part of the season. I'm not certain with the revisionist history on the guy is after his performance last nigh, which was great. 

8 minutes ago, Golfman said:

The truth is he did suck for a good part of the season. I'm not certain with the revisionist history on the guy is after his performance last nigh, which was great. 

Meh, I've been calling him a rollercoaster corner since before this year, still feel similar.

Regarding King, and with no dog in this fight, all you need to do is go back and read many of the GDT’s in October and November to see that he was struggling - badly.  Does that mean he’s a JAG?  Probably not, but he certainly played like one.  Maybe he wasn’t healthy, but I was expecting a heck of a lot more from him.

I theorize it was a combination of scheme change and possibly an injury that lead to his slump.  He’s certainly playing better now - that we can all agree on at least.

Last night King looked like a completely different player than what we were seeing from him 6 weeks ago.  I'll admit that when he was struggling earlier thus season I had more or less given up on him ever putting everything together.  King playing well opposite Alexander raises the bar for this defense dramatically.  As long as they can avoid having to travel to NO, this defense should be able to match up reasonably well with whatever NFC offense they face in the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Does this mean you're gonna go get the data and post it here?

I don't have a sub, I swear someone here does but I can't recall who to ask. I used to split it with someone every year until it jumped up way in price..

Edited by Norm