REASONS FOR OPTIMISM-DEFENSE

TheOnlyThing

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That includes cutting Taylor and Graham and the rollover.

Improvement will be tough barring the current rookies killing it with that year 2 improvement.

And not including the min-salary filler for 15ish slots (-9m), Crosby extension (-3m), & maybe prorated signing bonus from a Clark extension (-3m?)

At the end of the day, they probably have 21-22m to play with, not counting any margin they want to save for emergencies.

The real concern with the offence is the age ...

In terms of cap, a fair chunk of money is spent on the offence but the consequence of pretty much ignoring it in the draft is the key players are getting old together. Rodgers is old,  Bakh and Bulaga are starting to get on and (if re-signed in the case of Bulaga) become more prone to knocks, the tight ends are ancient. Even Adams will be well into his second contract and has an injury history. The exception is Adams and many think we should let him walk after his rookie deal. As things stand, that simply isn't an option.

Realistically, unless there is serious resource put into the offence then there is a high probability that the offence will regress badly over the next few years and its not been pretty this season at times. OT, WR and TE really all need high draft picks. And we should get back to using mid round picks for the interior OL as well.

For all the talk of expecting Rodgers to rack up elite numbers throwing to JAGs we should be expecting Pettine to be doing more with what he's got. When you a DC two high quality pass rushers, one of the best DL in the league, one of the best young corners in the league, a rebuilt safety position using a premium pick and a high paid Free agent then he should be producing an elite defence he really should - he should be able to manoeuvre the more modest talent around the star players. 

We've been very lucky with injuries this year and probably wont be as lucky next year.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 2:07 PM, TheOnlyThing said:

For many years now, the Packers have not had a requisite Super Bowl champion defense. A quick review of the avg. points per game allowed/defensive ranking by year shows just how bad it has been:

YEAR               PPG                NFL RANKING                       

2018               25.0                22nd

2017               24.0                26th

2016               25.1                25-26T

2015               20.4                11th

2014               22.1                14-16T

2013               26.5                24th

2012               21.7                13th

2011               23.3                22nd

Why are the Packers winning games in 2019?

Might have something to do with the fact they are allowing just 20.2 ppg on the season -- the fewest PPG allowed since the SB season.

And don't look now, but the D is also currently the top 10 in scoring D!!!!!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Why are the Packers winning games in 2019?

Might have something to do with the fact they are allowing just 20.2 ppg on the season -- the fewest PPG allowed since the SB season.

And don't look now, but the D is also currently the top 10 in scoring D!!!!!!!

I feel sick giving you a like, but you earned it with this one.  Still think Pettine is trash and we have the talent to be top 7 in scoring defense this year.  

1 minute ago, Lodestar said:

My favourite play of the game. Sometimes I wish Jaire would be less physical in the run game to protect his health, but plays like this are what make him a rare breed.

Jaire was actually very good on a couple of the WR screens to the point that Bears fans were biatching about Nagy calling that play.

I will say there was overreaction on the D 4 weeks ago after SF. As expected we are back in the middle of the pack after a few give me games in the yards rankings and top 10 in ppg, pressures, and tos. I think we are legitimately solid, not special (probably upper half of the league.. 12th best D). We have good personnel, no holes, only like 2 elite playmakers though (Z/Clark) with a few above average guys and guys who could pop in a year (Alexander/Savage in particular).

6 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I will say there was overreaction on the D 4 weeks ago after SF. As expected we are back in the middle of the pack after a few give me games in the yards rankings and top 10 in ppg, pressures, and tos. I think we are legitimately solid, not special (probably upper half of the league.. 12th best D). We have good personnel, no holes, only like 2 elite playmakers though (Z/Clark) with a few above average guys and guys who could pop in a year (Alexander/Savage in particular).

We're starting 2 of Lowry, Lancaster, Goodson, Campbell

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We're starting 2 of Lowry, Lancaster, Goodson, Campbell

I don't really consider them holes. They are all niche spot starting  do your job role players, who also aren't playing bad. All have 60-66 grades per pff which means they are performing. Literally last year we had a guy who couldn't play starting (Brice with a 40 grade).

1 minute ago, pacman5252 said:

I don't really consider them holes. They are all niche spot starting  do your job role players, who also aren't playing bad. All have 60-66 grades per pff which means they are performing. Literally last year we had a guy who couldn't play starting (Brice with a 40 grade).

When you have a role player playing full time snaps like Lancaster and the Goodson/Campbell/Sullivan 3 headed monster is, that is a starting spot hole. 

20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

When you have a role player playing full time snaps like Lancaster and the Goodson/Campbell/Sullivan 3 headed monster is, that is a starting spot hole. 

2nd DL I'll give you. Rover nickel I can't. You can hide that player, not like we trot Sullivan out there to go cover #1s, he's lined up usually with a lower caliber offensive player. That's not a hole. Can't hide a starting DL though. Lowry is definitely a below average starter.