More bizarre season: 2019 Jameis Winston or 2006 Rex Grossman?

Elky

More bizarre season?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. 2019 Jameis or 2006 Grossman?

• Jameis
    • Grossman

Jameis is currently second in passing yards and touchdowns, but he's also by far the most turnover prone quarterback with a whopping 28 already. As one poster noted, a 350+ yard, multi touchdown and turnover game from Jameis is the norm.

As we all remember, Grossman's 2006 campaign was among the most inconsistent in recent memory. This infographic sums it up, per Wikipedia:

Rgrossmanstats2006.png

Which season was more bizarre to you?

• Like 2

Jameis is just Jameis.  I don’t think he has a season yet with under 2.5% int.  He makes terrible decisions constantly on and off the field, and he’d probably be a backup if not for a pair of elite receivers.  It doesn’t help that his defense is awful and he’s constantly in shootouts also.

Plenty of QBs have had bad seasons, but even a normal Jameis season is full of turnovers.

• Like 3

OLC8tjJ.png

Made a graph for Jameis. Not quite as crazy as Grossman's, doesn't have as extreme values on either end. 

A week to week graph doesn't really do the Jameis Winston experience justice though. We'd need a drive to drive chart that somehow gives a single value to each drive to represent QB play if we wanted to properly convey the wild ride Jameis puts you through.

I think, and I'm far from an expert, that Winston really does have some elite attributes. He's got a great receiving core, but he throws some really lovely dimes regularly. Unfortunately, for him & Bucs, he's prone to lapses in concentration and that's one quality that QBs simply can't have. It will end his career, but he will be a nice backup somewhere. 

Marcus Peters is the equivalent on the defensive side of the ball. He'll make some highlight reel plays, more often than most backs, but he'll get burned on plays, more often than most backs. 

On 12/9/2019 at 8:26 AM, Jlowe22 said:

Jameis is just Jameis.  I don’t think he has a season yet with under 2.5% int.  He makes terrible decisions constantly on and off the field, and he’d probably be a backup if not for a pair of elite receivers.  It doesn’t help that his defense is awful and he’s constantly in shootouts also.

Plenty of QBs have had bad seasons, but even a normal Jameis season is full of turnovers.

2017 it was under 2

23 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Do you mean will he be a first-ballot Hall of Famer, or are you talking about the Crocs?  :D

The croc thing, we already know he is HOF bound with the "eat the W" campaign.

Can anyone touch Favre's INT record? I have a hard time seeing it happen with how quickly teams dump turnover prone QB's these days.

Just now, Boltstrikes said:

The croc thing, we already know he is HOF bound with the "eat the W" campaign.

Can anyone touch Favre's INT record? I have a hard time seeing it happen with how quickly teams dump turnover prone QB's these days.

To see that record broken, it will probably take another guy like Favre who was actually very, very good.  He will need to be good enough that his team is willing to stick with him until he can break the record.  One thing it seems like people are forgetting about is that Favre also had the all-time record for touchdown passes in his career along with the record for interceptions.  If you can get a QB who wins you a Super Bowl or two along the way, it might be worth it for a GM to hang on to him that long.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

To see that record broken, it will probably take another guy like Favre who was actually very, very good.  He will need to be good enough that his team is willing to stick with him until he can break the record.  One thing it seems like people are forgetting about is that Favre also had the all-time record for touchdown passes in his career along with the record for interceptions.  If you can get a QB who wins you a Super Bowl or two along the way, it might be worth it for a GM to hang on to him that long.

Agreed. Favre was a once in a lifetime player. My point was I don't see very many Gunslingers in the league these days and they are often quickly given up on by their GM's as too erratic. I honestly don't remember Favre throwing many picks when he played. I remember the TD's but the INT's kind of piled up quietly, at least for me. I don't know if that was a case of Favre throwing them early in games that led to the late heroic comebacks that I remember. It could also just be a bias on my part. I was a teen during Favre's MVP runs so really he could do no wrong.

8 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

Agreed. Favre was a once in a lifetime player. My point was I don't see very many Gunslingers in the league these days and they are often quickly given up on by their GM's as too erratic. I honestly don't remember Favre throwing many picks when he played. I remember the TD's but the INT's kind of piled up quietly, at least for me. I don't know if that was a case of Favre throwing them early in games that led to the late heroic comebacks that I remember. It could also just be a bias on my part. I was a teen during Favre's MVP runs so really he could do no wrong.

He threw his share of INT's all the way along, but he won a lot of the time too so they were probably overshadowed.  Packer fans could probably tell the story better than I can.  My old guy memory is starting to get a little suspect at times. these days.