Bears @ Packers, 12/15, 12:00 GDT

beardown3231

46 minutes ago, Epyon said:

You have a HC and a GM who together put their support behind bums like Leno and Massie to give them contracts that screwed us, held onto Kyle Long too long, and went into a season with our only backup being Coward.... who is a journeyman at best. 

Personnel decisions and coaching are equally to blame... Nagy and Pace are responsible for the product that goes onto the field, just as Heistand is.

Also I'd disagree with our OL being top 10 last year.... They sucked opening up running lanes last year too, and Trubisky's legs bailed them out of A TON of blown assignments in the passing game... Trubisky's legs made their stats seem palatable, but imo they where a major issue last year as well... Jordan Howard was more than good enough to get it done in the running game, but they blamed him for the OL being trash.

How did Leno's and Massie's contracts screw the Bears?

2 minutes ago, dafreak said:

I have concluded that Mitch is not the problem....

@WindyCity had it partially right when he said Trubisky was 'adequate". Mitch was, in truth, beyond that. Almost won that game, under crazy circumstances. 

When you have the highest paid defender in the league on the field, and he's essentially invisible...THAT'S a huge problem. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

@WindyCity had it partially right when he said Trubisky was 'adequate". Mitch was, in truth, beyond that. Almost won that game, under crazy circumstances. 

When you have the highest paid defender in the league on the field, and he's essentially invisible...THAT'S a huge problem. 

Not going to argue with you, but truly, unless the D gives up next to no points, the team doesn't win. They're 1-4 when they give up more than 20 points. In 2019 football, that's pathetic. This is the same story of my Bears fandom- good D, bad O. Rinse repeat.

The issues are the QB, TE's, and the OL in no particular order (and yes, they should trade Floyd and either use a 2 on a rush linebacker or use 6-7M a year on a free agent rush linebacker).

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Not going to argue with you, but truly, unless the D gives up next to no points, the team doesn't win. They're 1-4 when they give up more than 20 points. In 2019 football, that's pathetic. This is the same story of my Bears fandom- good D, bad O. Rinse repeat.

The issues are the QB, TE's, and the OL in no particular order (and yes, they should trade Floyd and either use a 2 on a rush linebacker or use 6-7M a year on a free agent rush linebacker).

The OL is a mess. Why is an enormous mystery--but it is. I'm coming to love Horstead and Holtz, but we need a real #1 TE. Someone is needed opposite Mack, but if Mack continues playing like he has for the majority of this year, he needs to be gone. I recommended benching him weeks ago--and it turns out that's exactly what should have been done. 

The OL is a mess. Why is an enormous mystery--but it is. I'm coming to love Horstead and Holtz, but we need a real #1 TE. Someone is needed opposite Mack, but if Mack continues playing like he has for the majority of this year, he needs to be gone. I recommended benching him weeks ago--and it turns out that's exactly what should have been done. 

I disagree. He had a sack last week. Releasing him would not only be dumb (imo) but also impossible due to financials. He has 7.5 sacks (not great) but 5 FF (great). I think Hicks being healthy & having another edge rusher opposite him would help him get back to normal in 2020. 

I think they keep one of Holtz or Horsted. Really no need for both especially assuming they keep Braunecker (special teams) and work hard to get an actual TE in the draft or free agency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I disagree. He had a sack last week. Releasing him would not only be dumb (imo) but also impossible due to financials. He has 7.5 sacks (not great) but 5 FF (great). I think Hicks being healthy & having another edge rusher opposite him would help him get back to normal in 2020. 

No, you got that right, brother. NOT GREAT. I'm all for tweaking things to see if he regains form next season. But his wallet is clearly weighing him down. He should have been benched weeks ago. If this nonsense continues into next season, he should be traded or cut. The Mack trade is shaping up to be one of the worst in NFL history. 

41 minutes ago, dafreak said:

Bull**** call on Patterson leads to a Packer win, correct call and the Bears perhaps win by 6. The officiating in the NFL has been horse ****, something needs to be done.

Agree on both ends. I think it's going to take some public outrage by coaches to get something done. We'll see who has the gumption to do it. 

No, you got that right, brother. NOT GREAT. I'm all for tweaking things to see if he regains form next season. But his wallet is clearly weighing him down. He should have been benched weeks ago. If this nonsense continues into next season, he should be traded or cut. The Mack trade is shaping up to be one of the worst in NFL history. 

Agree on both ends. I think it's going to take some public outrage by coaches to get something done. We'll see who has the gumption to do it. 

Come on, man. Heat of the moment I know but this is an overreaction. It's not like he's lazy. He's going 100% every play. He made more money last year than he did last year so the wallet has nothing to do with it. And worst in NFL history? Again, come on. That trade is a trade I'd hope Pace would make 10 out of 10 times. Last year it was the greatest and now it's the worst.. why? Because Josh Jacobs is good and Mack's having a down year? Please. You know this sounds like a 670 the Score meatheaded caller so don't stoop to that level

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Come on, man. Heat of the moment I know but this is an overreaction. It's not like he's lazy. He's going 100% every play. He made more money last year than he did last year so the wallet has nothing to do with it. And worst in NFL history? Again, come on. That trade is a trade I'd hope Pace would make 10 out of 10 times. Last year it was the greatest and now it's the worst.. why? Because Josh Jacobs is good and Mack's having a down year? Please. You know this sounds like a 670 the Score meatheaded caller so don't stoop to that level

I don't think things will remain as they are. If they do...then it's REALLY bad. That's not "heat of the moment", either. Mack's been a non-factor for most of the season. I didn't think it was the greatest trade ever last year either, for obvious reasons. 

I'm not stooping to any level. Mack has been incredibly ineffectual, and he's the highest paid defender in the league. You understand those assertions are true, right? If he has to be backed up and provided for, he doesn't deserve that contract, and the Bears would be best served getting out from under it as soon as they can reasonably do it. 

27 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Mitch is not going to be successful throwing the ball 53 times with no running game in a road game against good team.

He isn’t that good.

The offensive personnel has to be better if you want to win consistently with Mitch.

I don’t think you’ll find many quarterbacks who are able to play well throwing it 53 times a game. When was the last time we had a dominate offensive line? I’m thinking 2006 and even then they were top 10 at best.

We really need to invest as many resources as possible into the Oline to get this team to the next level.

4 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't think things will remain as they are. If they do...then it's REALLY bad. That's not "heat of the moment", either. Mack's been a non-factor for most of the season. I didn't think it was the greatest trade ever last year either, for obvious reasons. 

I'm not stooping to any level. Mack has been incredibly ineffectual, and he's the highest paid defender in the league. You understand those assertions are true, right? If he has to be backed up and provided for, he doesn't deserve that contract, and the Bears would be best served getting out from under it as soon as they can reasonably do it. 

My original stance was that I didn’t like the trade but after a couple of games I was really happy to have him. He was pretty good in the beginning of the year and now seems to be fading for the past 4-5 games. I”m not sure if he has an injury he is dealing with? I don’t think he’s someone who is “cashing” in his check.

We felt that way about Peppers and he proved us wrong. I think Goldman’s quad is an issue and I think he is having a down year for whatever reason.