Week 15: VIKINGS (9-4) at Chargers (5-8)

swede700

10 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Honestly Chicago winning makes me almost more worried in a way right now. Them winning and us losing really puts us in a bad spot. Playing at home, but against a hot team. But more than likely Packers will just pack it in week 17.

If we win this week and defeat the Packers next week, they can still pack it in Week 17?

I thought as long as we beat them and win the rest of our games then we have the division. Do they have to lose to someone else too?

Edited by Torchezim

40 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

If we win this week and defeat the Packers next week, they can still pack it in Week 17?

I thought as long as we beat them and win the rest of our games then we have the division. Do they have to lose to someone else too?

Packers still have the tiebreaker in that scenario.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Honestly Chicago winning makes me almost more worried in a way right now. Them winning and us losing really puts us in a bad spot. Playing at home, but against a hot team. But more than likely Packers will just pack it in week 17.

I'm a little confused.  We play Chicago week 17. If the Packers are packing in it in week 17, it means nothing to us.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I ironically "wrestle" with that too...but, I do think that the Chiefs will beat the Bears next week, which will make the whole Bears as a threat thing fairly moot.  

• Like 1

the chargers have a really good offense and it'll be a good test for our defense. statistically they are top 3-5 in many categories (yards/drive, plays/drive, TOP/drive, 3-and-outs/drive) but their downfall comes in two areas: turnovers (rivers has thrown the third most picks this season) and red zone execution where they have the 7th lowest touchdown percentage. 

the good news? our defense has the fourth best touchdown percentage and eighth most interceptions per drive. so while they will likely not have much trouble doing what they do best in moving the ball, keeping drives alive, etc. they should have extra trouble scoring in the red zone and taking care of the football given that's what our defense does best.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

If we beat them we'd be 1 - 1 with them on the season.

Why do they get a tie breaker? If they win out?

The Packers have to lose another game (vs. the Bears or Lions) to give the Vikings a chance to win the division because of division record (since the Packers haven't lost a division game yet and the Vikings have lost 2).

Edited by swede700

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

1. Head to head

2. Division record

3. Record against common opponent 

4. Conference record 

Thats the border of the top 4 tie breakers. 

And if they get to the 3rd tiebreaker, that's where the Vikings win the division, as the Packers lost to the Chargers and Eagles, while the Vikings only lost to the Chiefs  (they'd cancel each other out on the Bears and Lions matchups, as they'd each be 1-1 and 2-0 against them).

Edited by swede700

I’d say this should be an easy game for the Vikes but you know what they say, “Easy games are the ones that bite you in the ***.” Chargers have been decimated all year by injury but now have starting pro bowl level players in Derwin James and Adrian Phillips. It’s also the month of Philcember and all the Chargers have left to play for his draft order. Expect the Dr Jeckyl of this team to show up and push the Vikings, who need to win to stay strong in their playoff push. Austin Ekelor is coming off a miraculous 12 touch 200 yard performance. It’s a shame we wait until we’re eliminated to start playing competitively. Should be a fun game to watch. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

@Boltstrikes @The LBC @Zappaz @BoltsFan937 @Xenos @Classic

come chat with us here! tell us how the Chargers are doing, in general and in particular lately.

Great idea VD!  We have some great Chargers fans on this site but their forum is kind pretty quiet.  Come in here everybody and let's talk Chargers/Vikings this weekend! 

1 hour ago, Boltstrikes said:

I’d say this should be an easy game for the Vikes but you know what they say, “Easy games are the ones that bite you in the ***.” Chargers have been decimated all year by injury but now have starting pro bowl level players in Derwin James and Adrian Phillips. It’s also the month of Philcember and all the Chargers have left to play for his draft order. Expect the Dr Jeckyl of this team to show up and push the Vikings, who need to win to stay strong in their playoff push. Austin Ekelor is coming off a miraculous 12 touch 200 yard performance. It’s a shame we wait until we’re eliminated to start playing competitively. Should be a fun game to watch. 

I was pretty much chalking this one up as a win up until recently because all I was looking at was the Chargers' win/loss record.  After watching some of your games, I have come to realize that we are up against a very formidable opponent this weekend.  As a football fan in general, I like the matchups.  Rivers vs. our weak secondary.  Vikings pass rushers vs. an immobile QB in Rivers.  Cousins, a QB who likes to roll out to the left, will have Joey Bosa looking him in the face when he does that this week.  Both teams have great skill positions players who can do damage to an opposing defense.  As you said, Bolts, this should be a fun one!

Someone further up stream mentioned our D-Linemen will have a feast because Rivers is immobile.  I would just say that Rivers has one of the quickest releases in the history of the game and has made a lot of salivating d-linemen go home hungry.  Rivers also seemed to get his timing back last week and the Chargers are playing their best football of the year.  It's not an automatic win for the Vikings by any stretch of the imagination.  I think the Vikings win 21 to 19.

12 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Someone further up stream mentioned our D-Linemen will have a feast because Rivers is immobile.  I would just say that Rivers has one of the quickest releases in the history of the game and has made a lot of salivating d-linemen go home hungry.  Rivers also seemed to get his timing back last week and the Chargers are playing their best football of the year.  It's not an automatic win for the Vikings by any stretch of the imagination.  I think the Vikings win 21 to 19.

Agree for the most part, but for us to win, with the way our defense has recently been playing, I would expect to have to score at least 30 on the road to win.  Vikings 31 to 28.