Make-A-Movie Final Products

rackcs

Just now, MikeT14 said:

Maybe to get more votes can we do a thread for each category with polls? First post could provide the links to the movies again. 

Also, each of us could spend some time nominating from our end who we think should be? Some things to consider. 

For example, I'm thrilled Angelina Jolie won for best actress. I honestly would have submitted her role for the supporting actress role. 

To give a rough description of the movie, it's based on the real-life town of Palisade, Nevada which used to stage gun fights and bank robberies and such during the Wild West days. Many wild west tropes and legends come from the performances of Palisade, which was nicknamed the toughest town in the west. 

In my movie, essentially the town would be staging these performances to scare away outsiders from coming to their town and bringing real crime and disrupting their way of life. George Clooney plays the sheriff and Adam Driver plays the outlaw in their performances. They've got a good thing going there. The movie opens upon one of their performances, where Driver and his crew "rob a bank" while a train is stopped at their station but Clooney saves the day with in heroic fashion. 

Then Walton Goggins comes to town. He is a conman who used to work with Clooney's character back in the day and he threatens to reveal to the town that Clooney isn't an actor like he says but actually a two-bit con man with a checkered past. The exact type of person this town doesn't want. He wants Clooney to help him actually rob the bank during their next performance. Clooney, being a cowardly con man, agrees. 

The next performance comes around and Goggins and his crew successfully rob the bank while everyone is distracted. Except that the performance is interrupted by two US Marshalls, played by Regina King and Oscar Isaac. They kill some of Driver's "posse" and arrest the rest. Everyone thinks the gig is up and they're ready to fess up that everything is fake when it's discovered that the money is gone. All of a sudden everyone is pointing fingers and they all seem to think Driver is guilty of actually robbing the bank. Clooney goes to Goggins and begs him to help rescue Driver since they'd become good friends. Goggins refuses at first but eventually gives in and agrees to rescue him.

In Palisade, Oscar Isaac is going around questioning folks in the town while Regina King interrogates Driver. Isaac becomes frustrated with the town as he gets little luck with the higher ups in Palisade like Clooney and mayor John Goodman who play clueless. Driver is dejected at the situation, being arrested and the town turned on him, and doesn't cooperate. Eventually King and Driver bond and Driver tells the truth. King trusts him due to their opening up to one another and takes him to go tell her partner what happened. As they leave the jail she's murdered in cold blood by Goggins and Driver is kidnapped by his gang.

Oscar Isaac comes back once they've gone and finds his partner dead and becomes slightly unhinged, determined to get revenge on whoever killed his partner. He is done playing nice with people like John Goodman and George Clooney and violently attacks them both, demanding answers. Clooney is desperate to save his own hide still and lies to say that Goggins had teamed up with Driver and told them where Goggins was camped up outside of town. The townspeople and Isaac are frenzied at this point and round up a large mob/posse to go get justice.

Back at the camp, Goggins decides that they're going to use Driver to get Clooney back to their camp and then kill both of them since they're the two loose ends in his mind. Driver desperately tries to escape captivity but to no avail. As Goggins and his crew are preparing to pack up so they can leave, the mob approaches. There is a tense showdown between Isaac and Goggins but it is interrupted by Clooney finally attempting to come forward and confess the truth. Goggins promptly shoots him in the head, leading to a violent showdown as both sides are shooting wildly at each other. It ends with a showdown between Goggins and Driver that mirrors the one from the opening showdown of the movie between Driver and Clooney. Driver kills him and tells the townspeople where their money is. Isaac, satisfied that Goggins is dead, rides off. The final scene is Driver leaving the town, deciding that the west isn't for him.

There's a lot of other details like Zahn McClarnon's role as Driver's right hand guy in the performances who ends up actually working for Goggins. Emma Stone as the town whore who Driver pines for but the love is not reciprocated. John Goodman is the mayor and also the "writer" behind the performances. That's the gist of it though.

Edited by rackcs
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

For example, I'm thrilled Angelina Jolie won for best actress. I honestly would have submitted her role for the supporting actress role. 

Figuring out leads vs. supporting was tough.  Synopses typically don't give you a great idea of how much screen time an actor gets.  I voted for her, first of all, because I could actually see her being an awesome Jocasta, second of all, because there weren't many other options.  Most of the movies were really dude heavy, and the ones that had significant female roles (Roanoke, Last Reich, and Hangmen) all seemed like supporting more than actual leads.

Once Upon a Spy would have been a contender, but I couldn't sort out the lead, and I'm not familiar with most of those actresses.

I'm psyched to have gotten as many votes as I did, so now do yourselves a favor and READ UBIK!

Also, guilty on voting for Hangmen for original.  I thought it was an original.  If I'd have known, I would have voted for Roanoke anyway, and Hangmen for adapted.

Thanks Rack for putting this together.  It was fun.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Orca said:

Spent the whole movie budget on the director

Show some respect for that stacked cast dammit.

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Maybe to get more votes can we do a thread for each category with polls? First post could provide the links to the movies again. 

Also, each of us could spend some time nominating from our end who we think should be? Some things to consider. 

7 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Yeah, this was an issue I hadn't foreseen. I think polls for every category would clutter this subforum too much to be realistic. I think we could do like what the real life awards do and have the "studios" nominate their own people. Like you would have your writeup and then decide which categories you want to submit people for. Something like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malfatron said:

Congrats @Pickle Rick!!

Well deserved!

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Nic Cage getting nominations for best supporting actor/Sly getting nominations has me excited.

Whoever nominated JCVD for best actor, good work.

@Pickle Rick congrats, very well deserved! @The Orca, your movie still intrigues me the most and I think I'd like yours the best.

Thank you and everyone who voted.  

I really loved how my movie turned out, from the casting, to the director, to the actual story.  I do wish I would have had time to finish the script (not sure how many actually read that vs the plot synopsis).  

I do really plan on finishing the script bc I loved writing this story so much.  

Not sure if my next one will be this involved or what but @rackcs and @Outpost31 got me hooked on writing scripts so you never know lol.   

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

1. Whoever hosts could put together a google survey that will encompass all of the voting

2. I agree, each person should nominate 1 person (max 2) for each category that we vote on and then the host puts those as the options for the survey

3. Not sure if it would help on the voting but if this were on the "this aint sports talk page" it might get more eyes (not necessarily to participate, but read the movies and vote)

Edited by Pickle Rick
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

1. Whoever hosts could put together a google survey that will encompass all of the voting

2. I agree, each person should nominate 1 person (max 2) for each category that we vote on and then the host puts those as the options for the survey

3. Not sure if it would help on the voting but if this were on the "this aint sports talk page" it might get more eyes (not necessarily to participate, but read the movies and vote)

I like the google survey idea. Would make things much easier and cleaner.

• Like 1