Clarkfn's NOLA Game Review (The Preferred Review for People Who Love Beignets and Beating the Saints)

clarkfn2284

I'm Back!!!!!!!!! I haven't had a chance to re-watch the game and most likely wont because of time constraints. I was physically exhausted after yesterdays game. I had an adrenaline dump that put my feet up and my eyes closed for the afternoon games. I love when the Niners beat the Saints. I have a strong disdain for the entire franchise. I cannot stand Sean Payton, he acts like he is the smartest guy in the room and is as arrogant as anyone I have ever seen. Only guys on the team I actually enjoy is Kamara and Michael Thomas. I also have a deep seeded dislike for Drew Brees. Not sure where it comes from. I think he is a tad overrated because when I watch him I don't see a ton of special stuff, but what they do works and it makes him "great". Even if he has the same amount of SB wins as Trent Dilfer.........Let's get to it!

QB

Best game of Jimmy's career. Two throws stood out to me. The first being to Sanders in a tight window on the second or third drive. He had a very small window of time to hit Sanders on the slant and he put it between two sets of hands. The second being the TDS toss to KB where Jimmy rolled right and threw against his body and he put it right into KB's numbers inside of the defender. Jimmy makes that throw look so easy, but I don't know if we all understand the difficulty of throwing against your body with the accuracy and zip required on that scramble play. A few of us have said it before, but Jimmy is just a winner. It wont always be perfect and it wont always be pretty. but he gives you a chance every single time he has the ball to score and when it's crunch time, he gives you a very good chance to win. He is starting to put together a pretty nice resume and eventually the noise on him will subside because that is what winners do. He has the highest winning percentage in his first 21 starts of any QB ever. He is the future of this franchise for a long, long time. Jimmy already has the respect of his team, that is visible, but now he is starting to command the respect of everyone else. He is humble, polished, poised etc. Not too mention he has an incredible jaw line.

Grade: A+

RB

I love when this unit has the three headed monster. Coleman was very limited with only 3 carries and no action in the pass game. I would like to see more opportunities for him next week against ATL and I think we will see a heavy dose of him in a revenge game. Mostert has the ability to go to the house on every touch. In fact, I feel like he is going to take it there every time. He just has such good vision and he gets north and has elite level speed that is unreal. He is really turning into something nice for this offense. 109 total yards and two scores, he is beginning to cement himself as another tool in the toolbox. I love hoe they used Breida. It felt like they were just saving him and hoping to not have to use him. Essentially, giving him another week to get right. However, the more I think about it, I believe Shanahan saved him for late in the game. It felt like he wanted to use Breida when the defense was tired. 6 for 54 and 9 YPC. They did this earlier in the year as well against Carolina, I think. 6.75 YPC from the team. Juice was amazing all game long. His catch where he got hurt was a heck of a play and then he turns around and eats a crushing hit on the option play. The guy is such a leader it's insane.

Grade: Coleman (C-), Breida (B+), Mostert (A), Juice (A)

WR

Best performance of the season by this core. What do you even say about Sanders and his performance? He single handedly killed the Saints defense in the first half. KB was tremendous in the 10 zone, as he always seems to be. I love the guys effort. You are never going to see him dog a play or not max out his effort. He was a nobody on this team when he arrived and he has supplanted himself as the true number 3 option in the WR room. Deebo continues to show his versatility and his growth as a player. When he gets the ball, he looks faster than everyone else on the field. I absolutely loved Kyle's plan to get him involved in the run game. Deebo is going to be a dangerous weapon for years in this offense. Can't wait to see what they can do with Hurd. I would really love to see Pettis find something here in these last few games and into the postseason because if they can get that going and sprinkle him in, good lord.

Grade: Sanders (A+), Deebo (A), KB (A)

TE

George Kittle. He is a mack truck running down hill without brakes and god forbid if anyone gets in the way. He looked like a 265 lb TE running through a schoolyard of kids on that last run. Either that or a dude hopped up on PCP, ripping taser prongs out of his skin running from the cops. He is everything that this team represents. He did this with a fracture in his leg and a bum ankle..........He is a legend!

Grade: Kittle (A+)

OL

This group gave up some sacks, but for the most part I was pretty pleased with what I saw. They gave Jimmy time to throw and for the routes to develop down field. There were a couple of instances where Jimmy had time to plant carrots, water them and watch them grow. They were solid in the run game as well. Hated to see Richburg go down. He is a huge part of the lines success. They ask that position to do a lot and it requires very good footwork and agility to get to some of the defenders they are asked to block. Staley looked much better than the last time he was on the field and McGlinchey seems to be improving every week. Ben Garland did a really good job of subbing in and not showing up for anything negative. He knows the offense and was with Kyle in ATL so hopefully we don't see a huge decline there.

Grade: Staley (B+), Tomlinson (B), Richburg (B), Garland (B+), Person (B), McGlinchey (B)

DL

A really weird performance from this group because there were splash plays by guys, but not the domination we have grown to expect from the defense as a whole. Bosa wrecks so many plays and he is just a problem on every play. He has an incredible motor, but he also has elite skills to go with it. If a tackle takes a play off he beats them immediately. Buck, Armstead, DJ all had splash plays. I feel like this game is a throw away game for this group due to the weird nature of the game. I think the only way to answer this pass rush is to get the ball out before three seconds. Fortunately, most teams cannot do it as efficiently as the Saints do. Look for this group to have a monster game against ATL.

Grade: Bosa (B+), Buckner (B), Jones (B), Armstead (C+), Ford (C)

LB

Not a great showing for Warner here. Missed some tackles, including the go ahead TD for the Saints late in the 4th. Greenlaw was really good again. He just continues to show that he is really good at everything. Sky is the limit for Dre and he is becoming one of my favorite players on the defense. Not a big fan of Al-Shair. He was a liability out there and they took advantage of him. He may just need more time to show he has what it takes.

Grade: Warner (C), Greenlaw (B), Al-Shair (D+) 

DB

It wasn't pretty, but similar to the DL, I think you just throw this away for this group as well. You don't shut down Michael Thomas, but you can't allow guys like Tre' Quan Smith and Ted Ginn to beat you. Sherman was just ok. He plays so soft in an effort to not get beat deep so I don't have much issue with the short stuff he gives up. K'Waun did not have a good game and he was killed on the ball to MT where he undercut the route. Hopefully he is good after the concussion because ATL has three really good WRs in Julio, Ridley and Gage even though Ridley may not play. I would like this group to jump on the Falcons and take advantage of Ryan's propensity to throw it up next week. Moseley and Spoon were decent at times and beat on others.

Grade: Sherman (C), Spoon (C+), Williams (C), Moseley (C+)

S

Marcel Harris is a liability and I think it was Jay who said it best. He is a wreckless player who takes too many chances. This defense needs guys on the back end to be solid and reliable. It is why Tartt and Ward have been so good. When the play breaks down they manage to get guys down and live to play the next down. Ward did just that on the ball that K'Waun tried to under cut. I need Tartt to get back ASAP. Harris is a thumper and a playmaker, but he misses a ton of tackles and is late to react. Ward wasn't bad throughout the game, but I think that in a single high defense Ward is better served being the high.

Grade: Harris (C-), Ward (C+)

ST

Gould is starting to look more normal. Wishnowsky had his worst showing so far. He was terrible on kickoffs and only had one nice punt. This group as a whole let Dionte Thompson kill them. On one punt the first guy down was Celek. That just blows my mind that he was there first and it is a recipe for disaster against anyone. This group should rebound because it is out of their character to be this bad.

Grade: Gould (A+), Wishnowsky (D+)

They continue to show that they can win and compete in any style of game. Again, I have zero fear against any team in football with this group. They are special and have something significant happening inside those doors. At this point if they do not make it to the SB this season would be a disappointment. They are the best team in football and should finish 14-2 with the 1 seed in the NFC. I am looking forward to this week against Atlanta as my Son is a huge Falcons fan and this will be the first real time we have been able to sit down and watch out squads play each other. I look forward to see how the Niners defend Julio. He is one of my favorites players in football and if you have ever seen him play live, you would know he is the best in the game. We watched him get triple teamed last season and still collect double digit catches and over a bill in receiving yards. It's a get right game, but they have to be careful because Atlanta is playing much better in recent weeks.

Edited by clarkfn2284

30 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

A couple of nitpicks: 1st--I thought Warner was overall better than Greenlaw and 2nd--It's "corps" not "core". The WRs are not the center (i.e. "core") of the offense. It is a corps of WRs or a WR corps.

Just FYI. 

Semantics........and how do you know that I wasn't trying to say core group of players and just left off the "group of players" from the end of the sentence? Huh? How about that? Mr.Nitpicker. 

33 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

A couple of nitpicks: 1st--I thought Warner was overall better than Greenlaw and 2nd--It's "corps" not "core". The WRs are not the center (i.e. "core") of the offense. It is a corps of WRs or a WR corps.

Just FYI. 

BTW, I will vehemently disagree with you on Warner. He was not good.

2 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Coleman was very limited with only 3 carries and no action in the pass game. I would like to see more opportunities for him next week against ATL and I think we will see a heavy dose of him in a revenge game

This is the comment that I can't get around. Like seriously...why? He's not been good this year. At all. I don't know why we would want to give the lesser of the three headed monster more of a snap share. 

26 Tevin Coleman 26 RB 11 8 123 460 6 48 3.7 41.8 11.2 27 20 173 8.7 1 37 1.8 15.7 74.1% 6.4 143 4.4 633 7 0
22 Matt Breida 24 rb 10 5 115 596 1 83 5.2 59.6 11.5 19 17 114 6.7 1 17 1.7 11.4 89.5% 6.0 132 5.4 710 2 0
31 Raheem Mostert 27   13 0 102 608 4 41 6.0 46.8 7.8 17 12 159 13.3 2 39 0.9 12.2 70.6% 9.4 114 6.7 767 6 1

This is legit at this point. The carries are all similar. The situations are largely the same for these three. They work with the same offensive line, play the same opponents. There's no arguing his production versus the other two. 1.5 yards less per carry than Breida and more than 2 less per carry than Mostert? The eye test alone shows that he is bringing up the rear

I love Beignets, beating the Saints, AND the contents in this thread OP. Great job.

LOL'd by the time I was halfway thru the Kittle breakdown. I agree with just about all. Fun and yes, depleting game. 

( toward the latter part, just read that Ridley for ATL is out for the season, so that can help us )

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is the comment that I can't get around. Like seriously...why? He's not been good this year. At all. I don't know why we would want to give the lesser of the three headed monster more of a snap share. 

26 Tevin Coleman 26 RB 11 8 123 460 6 48 3.7 41.8 11.2 27 20 173 8.7 1 37 1.8 15.7 74.1% 6.4 143 4.4 633 7 0
22 Matt Breida 24 rb 10 5 115 596 1 83 5.2 59.6 11.5 19 17 114 6.7 1 17 1.7 11.4 89.5% 6.0 132 5.4 710 2 0
31 Raheem Mostert 27   13 0 102 608 4 41 6.0 46.8 7.8 17 12 159 13.3 2 39 0.9 12.2 70.6% 9.4 114 6.7 767 6 1

This is legit at this point. The carries are all similar. The situations are largely the same for these three. They work with the same offensive line, play the same opponents. There's no arguing his production versus the other two. 1.5 yards less per carry than Breida and more than 2 less per carry than Mostert? The eye test alone shows that he is bringing up the rear

All three are different runners. IMO. they make each other better. Coleman, no doubt has been least efficient, but he is the best of the three in regards to catching the ball and he has the most physical running style. Mostert is physical, but he never really has to be because he is so good at getting to the second and third levels so quickly. Coleman still has major HR potential every single time and if I need a guy to catch a ball out of the backfield I'm going to him. You have to think about the fact that Breida needs to be kept healthy as well so having the three guys available is best for all. Ideally, they all receive 8-12 carries/touches. The thing with these three is that any of them could be the guy each week, so why stop what has been working for most of the season?

28 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I love Beignets, beating the Saints, AND the contents in this thread OP. Great job.

LOL'd by the time I was halfway thru the Kittle breakdown. I agree with just about all. Fun and yes, depleting game. 

( toward the latter part, just read that Ridley for ATL is out for the season, so that can help us )

This is a big deal. Ridley can kill you with minimal touches.

Good write up @clarkfan. You should get gamepass lol Ij ust rewatched this game.

Joe Staley looked pretty good and definitely more like himself than we saw against seattle. He was moving pretty well. You can tell he is losing a step though, no doubt that he isnt quite as good as he was 2 years ago. 

Kyle called an amazing game. Right amount of trickery with bread and butter simple plays. I love how he put the ball in Garoppolo's hands early after being a touch conservative last week. Gotta give kyle an A+ for the game tbh

I like Mostert a lot, but I dont think he can really carry the ball inside. He is amazing at the outside zone runs and can hit a trap on the inside because that has a defined running lane, but I dont think he has the footwork to grind out tough yards on inside runs. Coleman is a solid runner but he doesnt exactly have the speed to get the edge. It was great to have breida back even in a limited capacity because he is really the only runner we have that is very good on the inside and outside so the whole playbook is open. 

Our second to last drive, we were killing them on the ground with breida. Samuel had a nice end around to get some chunk yards but then we kept handing it to breida. I liked how we used him in this game, we really picked our spots because it felt like he was somewhat on a pitch count. (Id bet we see more and more of him as we get deeper in this thing). Didnt feel like they could stop our offense with less than 3m left. 

Then we ran that really long slow developing play action where jimmy tried very very hard to sell the fake and got sacked for a huge loss. I looked at the coaches film and mostert would have had an absolutely huge hole up the middle if we would have ran it there. He might have scored, it was that wide open. The saints ran an overload blitz on the left side and the run would have gone up the B gap on the right. It wasnt a bad play design, Deebo had a step on lattimore and was running a deep crossing route with nothing but the endzone in front of him. He started out on the left and was going right. Jimmy could have floated a pass in the air to the endzone and deebo could have ran and caught it to put us up 9 with 2m left. would have been ballgame. So anything but what actually happened and we win score on that play to essentially end it. 

On the next play, deebo gets a little quick screen and then runs out of bounds while fighting for yards. Im sure everyone else was as mad as I was when it happened, because it felt like an absolute rookie move, but it didn't matter 

On the next NO drive, I had some Ahmad Brooks flashbacks when we can a corner blitz and mosely lit up brees. He absolutely smacked the guy. sometimes these qbs get flags thrown when you breath on them, so when it happened I was terrified we were going to get flagged because of how much @J-ALL-DAY keeps talking about 2013.

Mosely had a rough series there though. He didnt line up on the outside WR for no reason and gave up a big play. Then a few plays later he commits a PI when realistically the ball was uncatchable. brees threw it on the way down and it was way high. mosely came over late to guard trequan smith and smith turned into him to draw contact. tough sequence for him

Marcell Harris was bad. So so so bad. @Forge and I said before the game that we wanted to see Moore and ward on the field, and the fact harris was so bad but yet we never put moore in, is a huge red flag to me. I mean, Saleh got his lunch money stolen from him by payton this week. our defense was not prepared, especially on the back end. Yes we have injuries but it didnt feel like many adjustments were made. Harris hitting the bench was something that had to happen. 

I wish they didnt grab Kittles facemask because honestly he might have scored lol

Edited by N4L
  • Like 2