Week #14 GDT: Steelers vs. Bills Play-off Seeding Play-off Game

Steeler Hitman

Steelers-Bills.jpg

WHO: Steelers vs. Bills                            WHEN: Sunday, December 15, 2019 @ 8 pm

WHERE: Heinz Field, Pittsburgh, PA      2019 RECORDS: Steelers 8-5 vs. Bills 9-4

SERIES RECORDS: Steelers lead series 16-9   

LAST MEETING: Steelers win in Buffalo 12/11/16  27-20. Leveon Bell ran 38 times for 236 yards and 3 TD's, but Big Ben threw 3 INT's and 0 TD's. Game was not as close as score as a result of some of the Steelers miscues on offense and defense.

OFFENSIVE KEYS To A VICTORY:

AR-191209917.jpg

1. Broken record here, but here goes: Get off to a fast start offensively.  Last game the Steelers put up a FG and have a paltry six (6) points on two FG's on opening drive scores all year. The Steelers special teams contributed to a 10-0 first quarter lead on Dionte's Punt Return TD.  This is a home game against a play-off caliber team and the Steelers have to start jumping out early and start putting TD's on the board and not FG's early.

2. Do not turn the ball over.  The Steelers added two more fumbles last game.  The defense made up for it with picking off three passes last week. The Bills have a stout and physical defense. They are capable of beating many teams alone. The Bills did a great job of limiting the high powered Ravens offense. The Steelers can't give the ball away.

3. Mix it up on offense. The Steelers did a better job of spreading the ball around and being balanced last game. They will need this kind of balance against a much better Bills defense. The offense needs to not be so predictable as well. You could clearly see that on some runs the Cardinals were ready and waiting. Don't be so predictable in some situations.

4. Can we get and stay healthy? Injuries are a part of the game, but the Steelers have been hit pretty hard.  Are Connor and Ju Ju ready? Will Vance be ready? If not the next man up.  However, going against a very good defense, you need as many of your offensive weapons as possible: James, Ju Ju and Vance are huge factors in the Steelers offensive arsenal.

5. Duck keep making good decisions. The Duck has made some mistakes, but thus far nothing that has been horrible.  Play smart and don't try to do too much.  The team with the least turnovers will probably win. 

DEFENSE:

Steelers-Defense.jpg

1. The Steelers and Bills are two of the better defenses in the NFL.  Turnovers will be a key factor.  Both teams are playing with young QB's and the likelihood of a mistake is there.  Steelers continue to be opportunistic in creating turnovers.

tempDupree02_vs_Ravens_12252016-nfl_mezz

2. It is good to have a Bud!  This guy has been stepping up playing some very good football. It is no accident that the Steelers defense is improving while the play at LB has improved. Bud has been a big reason for this as well. Josh Allen can run and has a cannon of an arm. He just missed several deep balls to open WR's against the Ravens last week.  If Bud can get at him, he can force some errant throws and help produce more INT's. Josh Allen can run as well, so you have to contain him and you can't wildly rush him or he will take off and can hurt you with his legs.

3. Joe Haden is hot, but the entire secondary has been better. Steve Nelson is not getting the picks, but has played very well all season.  I am waiting for Edmunds to have his Bud Dupree like moment and burst out of his shell so to speak. Buffalo has some good WR's and got behind the Raven defenders at times.  You have to be weary.

20181216scSteelers-28-1-1553179589.jpg

4. Stop the Bills ground attack.  If the Steelers defense can slow down Singletary and Gore, the Steelers should be able to force Allen into a few mistakes. Stopping the dual threat runners will help make the Bills one dimensional.  This is a huge key to winning on defense.

PREDICTION: The team that holds onto the ball better will win. Hopefully the Steelers get healthy before this Sunday night tilt.  This is two very good defensive teams that have some offensive struggles. The Steelers have a good history against the Bills and hopefully there is some mojo there because the Bills are a pretty darn good team.  Defense wins championships, but offense gets you there. Hopefully the Steelers can be offensive enough to support the defense. Close one, but I will be a homer and take the Steelers over Bills at home  26-20.  P.S. I think the score may be a little higher than the 17-13 type of game that everyone is expecting.

CUTIES:

(Sorry - had to edit them out. They're not on-par with Webmaster's new rules for the babes.)

[sc29]

I really hope honestly that they keep James Conner out for one more week. If there is one game I do not want James Conner playing it is this game because if hes going to get hurt again it's going to happen in this game.

Juju I hope is back and 100% because it would be a ton of pressure on their secondary. I feel our running game with Snell and Whyte can manage this game.

Defensively we gotta make Allen throw from the pocket. When he is pressured he makes mistakes and a lot of them.

Edited by wwhickok

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Snell hasnt been that bad. He has been running with anger and power. Samuels should just be cut next year in training camp along with Trey Edmunds.

BUT I hope Conner gets kept out 1 more week. This is NOT the game to test that shoulder in

I have the same view on this as you, but they just said (schaeffer) that Connor and JJSS will be playing.  If he reinjures this shoulder ,  this would be the first time in a while that a player on this team has had this happen that I can recall, but my memory isn't goo d anymore either it seems. 

Whyte and Snell are capable , I would have waited until the Ravens game. Challenge the team, keep Connor healthy

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Snell hasnt been that bad. He has been running with anger and power. Samuels should just be cut next year in training camp along with Trey Edmunds.

BUT I hope Conner gets kept out 1 more week. This is NOT the game to test that shoulder in

I couldn't disagree more with all of this. Snell should be able to run with power but I haven't see it as much as I was told I was supposed to. He has sluggish burst and no top gear. I see nothing to get excited about with him thus far. Samuels is not a RB1. He can take a carry or two but he is a receiving RB and should be utilized as such. Cutting him on his Rookie deal makes absolutely no sense to me. 

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

I couldn't disagree more with all of this. Snell should be able to run with power but I haven't see it as much as I was told I was supposed to. He has sluggish burst and no top gear. I see nothing to get excited about with him thus far. Samuels is not a RB1. He can take a carry or two but he is a receiving RB and should be utilized as such. Cutting him on his Rookie deal makes absolutely no sense to me. 

Samuels according to some should have never made the roster his rookie season. Forget that he is a quality 3rd down/depth rb and on a cheap rookie deal. The greater solution would have been signing a broke down Ajayi on a vet min contract that would cost more than double  what samuels does and having a much greater risk of injury.

Last time they played, the OL was one of the best in the league, and they ran at will. Nice snow fall in the game and it was a no contest. This time, the Bills are much improved and our OL is nothing like it used to be. It could be another game where our defence has to win it.  The way the Titans are playing, I think we have to win out to get in unless somehow the texans split with them.  

16 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Last time they played, the OL was one of the best in the league, and they ran at will. Nice snow fall in the game and it was a no contest. This time, the Bills are much improved and our OL is nothing like it used to be. It could be another game where our defence has to win it.  The way the Titans are playing, I think we have to win out to get in unless somehow the texans split with them.  

Titans will lose vs Saints in week 16